What's missing?

load previous
Oct 1, 2017 3:28 pm
One of the things I love about video games is mowing down armies of nonthreathening mooks. This rarely occurs in RPGs because the common wisdom is that encounters should be balanced to the party. D&D 3 brought in the concept of Challenge Rating and Encounter Level to D&D and since then, players can largely assume that they are going to have a chance.

Feng Shui, cinematic action movie roleplaying, handles this well. Mooks are rarely a threat, and serve mainly to occupy the players, but they also let them be action gods for awhile, bringing all their cool powers and what not to bear. When you come upon the Boss, then it will be a difficult fight. I try and bring mooks into all my RPGs now - your level 7 D&D party fights some basic skeletons, or cocky first level adventurers, or human gangbangers in Vampire: The Masquerade. This serves to remind the party how powerful they have become relative to "the usual" or when they were just starting out.
Oct 1, 2017 3:47 pm
Interestingly, I'm currently in two games that are inspired by video games. A Little Town Called Tirisfel aims to evoke a Diablo type feel, while Fading Light aims to closely simulate Dark Souls.
Oct 1, 2017 4:01 pm
Many games, and the more recent editions of D&D, introduces the concept of minions / henchmen / mooks / grunts / cannon fodders. Basically give them enough HP to be killed in one hit (or don't even bother with HP, if a player hits it, it dies), maybe even lower some of their abilities (defenses, attacks, saves, etc.), and boom, you have enemies ready to get mowed down by your players.
Of course, just mowing down helpless enemies can get boring after a while, so unless you use them to support normal enemies or mini-bosses, or there is some sort of reward to be had in doing so (a common trop of video games), you'll have to use them sparingly.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.