Interest Check: FFG Star Wars F&D Campaign

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 27, 2017 8:36 pm
Hello Gamersplaners!

I just wanted to see if/how much interest there would be out there for a, you guessed it, Star Wars campaign using Fantasy Flight Games' system?

There are possibly several things that might not make this game appealing to everyone so please read on...

Warning: Book Ahead! (sorry)

TLDR: F&D ONLY!, Morality mechanic, PVP, EU story

1. Force & Destiny - all PCs should be F&D Careers/Specs, as the campaign is going to not only focus on the Force, Force users, and lore having to do with those things, but also it's going to start on a planet that has literally banished all non-Force sensitive people. So... yea, explicitly F&D campaign.

2. Expanded Universe (EU) - the campaign will take place 100% in EU timelines and places. We're actually gonna be in PRE-Old Republic times... like 25,000 years Before the Battle of Yavin (if you know the Star Wars relative timeline). It's just what/when fit some of my ideas the best, and I think will yield some very interesting campaign elements.

You don't have to have any personal knowledge of that era to play. But if you want to read about the "Je'daii Order" google those two words for a self-directed primer on what's going on. There will be an "in-character knowledge thread" in the game forum, if you just want to wait and see what I determine you need to know.

3. PVP - I intend to have Player-vs.-Player (combat) be a significant story element. You won't be asked to try to kill each other, but rather the PVP will be in the context of training and/or competitions. There is also the distinct possibility of other kinds of Player conflict (social, political, etc.).

The campaign will not focus on combat outside of PVP contexts unless you choose to pursue that approach to problem solving (so, you don't need to have a combat-focused PC to have fun), I intend to present you with a wide range of challenges - indeed I would strongly encourage you to NOT make a combat-focused character, but combat will be there from time to time so you'll want to have something to do during it too :P

4. Morality - I plan on using the Morality mechanics in F&D (Conflict, Conflict warnings, Weakness, Paragon, Darkside, all that) more or less as written. Including assigning Conflict for RP (like rp of fear, anger, or other strong displays of emotion).

I do not use the Conflict mechanic as a punishment for my players' "bad behavior". Which that doesn't mean, I don't give you Conflict when you do "Darkside stuff". It means we ALL (you as players, me as GM) will be expected to engage the Conflict mechanic as a tool to tell our stories. I have found it can very successfully be employed as a way to explore and illustrate the moral concepts surrounding the Force via game mechanics, if it's not treated like a "Gotchya!"-stick by the GM. If that doesn't interest you - if willingly engaging with the Conflict mechanic doesn't interest you - you may be frustrated by this campaign.

We'll be beginning play with something like a "Knight Level" start, i.e. an immediate post-char-gen bonus xp. Though I haven't decided exactly how much yet. It will definitely be a lesser amount of bonus credits than Knight Level, but you'll get some of those too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Please reply here if you're interested. This thread will serve as my guide to the invite list.

Sorry for the book.
Sep 27, 2017 9:40 pm
I'm definitely interested! I have the core rule book and starter set, as I'm planning on eventually running the game with some friends, but I'm not very familiar with the game or it's mechanics yet. Playing in a group would really help me learn how this game is supposed to be run!
Sep 27, 2017 11:35 pm
I do have qualm with Flow/Ebb being too potent
Sep 27, 2017 11:38 pm
jkl123 says:
I do have qualm with Flow/Ebb being too potent
I've never actually been able to give it a thorough read/thinking-through. But I'll certainly take this into consideration when screening PCs. Thanks, jkl!
Sep 28, 2017 12:36 pm
I am definitely interested! Count me in.
Sep 30, 2017 2:35 pm
Looks like we've got enough interest to roll with it! If you guys want to start thinking about your PC, there are two things you may want to consider:

1. The planet we are starting on (Tython), which will feature significantly in the ongoing plot, is a powerful "Bendu" Force Nexus. In mechhanical terms, so long as your Morality is between 30 and 70, you will have a bonus of 1 to your Force Rating on-planet.

2. You have a bonus 100 xp and 1,000 credits (only spendable after initial character generation - i.e. no spending it on Characteristics).

I only have the F&D core, so if you want to start with an expansion sourcebook Specialization or Force Power, I would prefer if you have a copy of the book it is contained in so we/you have access to full texts about things. However exceptions may be made if I feel comfortable with the limited text available in the community-made trees, and/or you are OK with conservative "rulings" if/when questions arise.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Last edited September 30, 2017 6:46 pm
Sep 30, 2017 6:04 pm
I have been waiting for a Star Wars game to start up. Played in one a while back but the GM had to let it go due to personal things. It was very fun otherwise. If there is room for one more I would be interested.

Questions
1) Any expansion source material is OK? I have most of the books.
2) Any restrictions on race, class, gear, traits?
Sep 30, 2017 7:51 pm
DM_Apexwolf says:

Questions
1) Any expansion source material is OK? I have most of the books.
2) Any restrictions on race, class, gear, traits?
I was planning on starting with 4 players, and possibly taking on more depending on how involved ppl are. Always good to be on the back-up list if you want to play. Don't know if I've ever had a game where at least one player didn't drop.

As to your questions:
1. If it's F&D, yes.
2. Species from the "community menagerie" subject to GM approval (anything from an FFG book is gtg). Starting gear is limited to Rarity 5. Rarity 6 can be purchased for 1.2x cost, nothing above that.

[EDIT: Uh almost forgot (and its kind of a biggie), there's no such thing as Lightsabers yet! There are Force-imbued blades (which will use the Lightsaber skill).

An additional caveat being, characters will be reviewed and if you bring some munchkin I'll probably ask you to take another shot at it.

You guys will have a Mentor.

Thanks for the questions!
Last edited September 30, 2017 11:14 pm
Oct 1, 2017 11:30 am
I just got a message from Gamersplane that this game was created - I sadly missed this thread! Still, I've applied for it and would love if I could play as well. F&D is my favorite of the three game lines. I'm playing with the idea of a Wookiee character right now.
Oct 1, 2017 6:17 pm
Might as well try to get on the waiting list, applied.
Oct 1, 2017 6:33 pm
Like I said, I may take on new players very soon depending on how heavy the "work load" is with 4.

I've also been contemplating for the PVP (training or tournament or whatever it turns out to be), bringing in forum members to play "NPCs", if ppl are interested in such a venture. The waiting list would be the first place I ask.
Oct 2, 2017 5:25 am
Looking forward to the potential.
Oct 4, 2017 3:41 am
emsquared says:

I only have the F&D core, so if you want to start with an expansion sourcebook Specialization or Force Power, I would prefer if you have a copy of the book it is contained in so we/you have access to full texts about things. However exceptions may be made if I feel comfortable with the limited text available in the community-made trees, and/or you are OK with conservative "rulings" if/when questions arise.
I should also say that this principle applies to Gear/Weapons/Armor, and everything else, as well.

I have EotE and F&D, but I also want ppl to have access to the things that allow them to play the PC they want to play. So, I prefer that you have the source book for the anything you want to use. If you do not have the source book, please be prepared for me to make whatever "ruling" I need to, to keep things moving. That's gonna be priority #1 for my PBP 99% of the time.
Oct 4, 2017 10:10 am
I own Disciples of Harmony and Keeping the Peace, so in case you need something from those books, feel free to drop me a message. I plan on using a spec from Keeping the Peace if I manage to get into the game in the future myself, too.
Oct 6, 2017 2:57 pm
Much appreciated, Silim!

Wanted to give a heads-up; I have updated the game page with a bit more detailed Description of the setting/circumstance in which the PCs will be starting. If you're not sure where your PC "fits in".
Dec 14, 2017 4:14 am
Hey gamers, so I may soon be looking to bring on an active player interested in a FFG Star Wars Force & Destiny game.

Posting frequency 4-5 times/week.

Game page is here. Apply within.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.