Who wants to run Dungeon World and teach me PbtA?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 28, 2017 5:44 pm
I've been listening to Friends at the Table recently, and it's got me really interested in learning the Powered by the Apocalypse system. The vast majority of my rpg experience is D&D 5e, but I do have some experience playing other systems.

I think I'd like to learn using Dungeon World, but I'm perfectly open to other PbtA games as well, if someone has interest in running a different kind of game.

So, anyone up for it?
Sep 28, 2017 10:01 pm
Sure. Lets get some interest going then.
I'll run a PBtA game out of the following, from highest personal preference to lowest:
https://i.imgur.com/8xHzb5L.jpg
- Urban Shadows
Playbooks and Basic Moves (5mb zip)
Winner of the Ennies 2016 Award for Best Rules, Urban Shadows is an urban fantasy game of supernatural politics. Influenced by The Dresden Files, Angel and Supernatural, it plays very much as the PBtA version of a World of Darkness crossover campaign of various factions wrangling control and keeping control of their humanity in a city that wants to drag them into corruption. Setting wise either one we make up, or heavily fictionalised major city that's easy to google interesting facts over.

- Dungeon World
Playbooks and Basic Moves
What was requested. 2013's Ennies Winner for Best Rules (seeing a pattern?), the halfway house between Apocalypse World and Dungeons and Dragons. We'll work out what kind of fantasy sub-genre we'll be doing, but not much is off the table here so long as it promotes adventure, getting into interesting problems, occasionally fighting something, and getting a good story out of it at the end.

- Blades in the Dark
Reference Sheets Page
Not PBtA. But it's on the list anyway due to it's roots lying there. Multi-award winning game of industrial fantasy skulduggery. Play as a pack of scoundrels conducting heists in a haunted city. If you're into Thief: The Dark Project or Dishonored you'll feel right at home here. Blades comes with it's own city of Duskvol so we'd be using that.

- The Sprawl
Playsheets and Playbooks
One I'm running at a monthly meetup already so low on my list despite my love for the Cyberpunk Mission based format. Get a job, do some legwork on it, do the work, get paid (hopefully). Game starts with everyone creating corporations, and personally I'd want to see something done with Space if I was going to run this here as well as in real life.

- Apocalypse World
Basic Playbooks and References (pdf)
The original, and still arguably the best way into seeing the genius of the system. A psychedelic assault on all you hold true for role playing, something is wrong with the world and you don't know what. Maybe you can fix it. And naturally, like with all Apocalypse Worlds, we'd be making that up during and before character creation. It's only so low on the list because I'm already playing in some and running one IRL and they are starting to bleed into each other.

Who's up for some more games where I have to roll little to no dice as designated game runner? Newbies welcome for any and all of them since we'll keep them nice and simple, although I'd put respectful content warnings on all of them (especially AW, Blades and US which will likely go at least R rated from the word go). Everyone, shout which ones you're up for playing in and I'll have a look over what people want running sometime on Sunday.
Last edited September 29, 2017 1:49 pm
Sep 28, 2017 10:06 pm
I'm down to support any PbtA on Gamers Plane. Specifically, I'd be down for the Sprawl and more Apocalypse world.
Last edited September 28, 2017 10:06 pm
Sep 28, 2017 11:52 pm
I'd play in a urban shadows or blades in the dark. I'd also be willing to run Urban shadows.
Sep 28, 2017 11:53 pm
I'd be up for Dungeon World. We don't get enough of that here. :)
Sep 29, 2017 6:36 am
I love Dungeon World! Currently learning Apocalypse World thanks to @handle. Open to any other PbtA!
Sep 29, 2017 7:50 am
I am not entirely sure. I heard a lot of good about Dungeon World, but then again I had some bad experience with PbtA games in the past because of something I will no longer mention on here lest I get accused of coprophagia again... Maybe if you're missing one player I'd be willing to sacrifice myself...
Sep 29, 2017 8:33 am
Neat. Interest across the entire suite. Likelihood it will be DW, and I'll look into another one of the above later on. But keep shouting if you're interested

For those on the fence or utterly confused by PBtA as a concept, Scrape/Eon's Dungeon World New Player Guide is a fantastic primer for how to translate expectations from roleplaying in D&D to roleplaying under PBtA. Even if you're not interested in playing one of these games right now, it's worth a read if you've seen DW or AW being played and aren't quite sure what the fuss is all about.
kalajel says:
...then again I had some bad experience with PbtA games in the past because of something I will no longer mention on here...
It's very easy to have a poor experience with PBtA. Rest assured though, no matter what game I end up running I am neither a despot nor someone who puts up with anyone putting anyone through a terrible time, and have enough PBtA experience under my belt to keep a campaign alive and moving at about a mile a minute.
Sep 29, 2017 1:10 pm
I would be up for either Dungeon World or Urban Shadows. I don't have either rule set though.
Sep 29, 2017 1:52 pm
Verrain says:
I would be up for either Dungeon World or Urban Shadows. I don't have either rule set though.
I've just editted in the links to the playbooks and reference sheets for the games above. All the games aside from The Sprawl have their character creation rules and the basic moves you can do as part of their sheets or somewhere else nearby on the pages above, and I'll be around for advice for anyone who's lost on any of them.
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
www.dungeonworldsrd.com/
Sep 29, 2017 2:04 pm
I'd love to try Dungeon World, also a newb when it comes to PbtA
Sep 29, 2017 2:55 pm
Verrain says:
I guess I could start an Urban Shadows game. I'm sort of itching to DM more games, and Darth's game is kind of dead in the water.
Sep 29, 2017 3:06 pm
I've been slowly working up the courage to run a DW game (I was running a campaign on GP for my RL group but looks like work and kids have gotten the better of my players) but I'm a complete noob to GM-ing and I don't even have the book (running using just the SRD).
Last edited September 30, 2017 3:27 pm
Sep 30, 2017 2:36 am
Dungeon World, Blades in the Dark, & Urban Shadows appeal to me the most (in that order), but, I'll probably jump into any games that fine or if this thread.
Sep 30, 2017 6:25 pm
Game's Live. I hope you like adventuring!

Everyone who said they had an interest in Dungeon World got an invite to the game but if you want in, apply in case they wish to sit out for this one. I figure I can run a game for about five or so people. Or, if suddenly swamped with people, I could juggle multiple parties of three to five people
Oct 3, 2017 2:19 am
I'd like to play Dungeon World or any of the others. I'm actually most interested in BitD, but I don't understand how that would work non-live. It looks like I'm probably too late, but next time?
Oct 3, 2017 11:38 pm
I definitely want in on any that you decide to run Kayn
Oct 4, 2017 4:06 pm
kalajel says:
Verrain says:
I guess I could start an Urban Shadows game. I'm sort of itching to DM more games, and Darth's game is kind of dead in the water.
Water done dried up.
Oct 4, 2017 4:40 pm
@Kalajel, seems like you might be able to put together a group of people interested in Urban Shadows, if you want to try to run it. :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.