Somewhere there's a Scienctist [P, R, & W]

Oct 10, 2017 8:37 pm
0900 Central Standard Time Conference room of the Oblivion Nebraska Office.

After six weeks they finally let you into the field to do work. It didn’t seem like was enough considering the rumors during training, everyone had been affected by something they shouldn’t have done or saw something they just really should be able to explain. The time at the academy seems a bit of a blur a rushed boot camp of sorts rumors of a previous class that had a fast food takeout employee that spouted conspiracy about aliens until they showed up at his work were out doing this type of work in the field and hadn’t died yet made you nervous, mostly the part about ‘yet’. You both get a call and meet up in town and take an unmarked black sedan to the location. Your first actual day on the job and orders to report into work and go to the conference room. No customary orientation briefing what you’re getting into from the tone likely your first mission... You’re pretty sure the organization wouldn’t likely be into hazing as well the job was enough to make most people jaded if they weren’t already. Thoughts come to mind about the one really peculiar thing about this job… why’d they station you in Nebraska of all places? Getting to the location you wonder as you drive through a field of corn and find yourself driving into a warehouse next to a silo. The sudden shudder and shift after the warehouse garage door closes implies you are likely underground. It gets a bit uncomfortable as you wonder how far since the descent takes several minutes. Out of the car and into the office you find a small conference room with several chairs around a table. Everything in stark white and lack of a clock make you realize you could lose track of time in a place like this, hard to believe you were in the middle of a corn field a few minutes ago… had it been a few minutes or over an hour now? There didn't seem to be many people in the office, no one else seems to be in the room as the white soft office lights flicker on in the conference room as you walk in.

Shortly after you enter a rather tall lady walks in and adjusts glasses and eyes the two of you raising an eyebrow before shrugging. "Good Morning. The Director will be in shortly, a bit of advice do not make any references to him looking like a mascot from any fast food chains verbally… he does not like it and he is responsible for what kind of missions you get." the lady states in a stern tone with a slight Russian accent as she taps on a tablet.
OOC:
Storywise I figure you two aren't living together so you both get notification and keys to a black car with coordinates out here due to plot. Where you live and how well you get along I'll leave up to the two of you (you both went through training at the same time). Feel free to get acclimated and chit chat while I download my notes and upload some pictures for the mission. Got to drive an hour for a meeting. D=
Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm
"Oooh. I hope it's Ronald McDonald," Adam jokes, taking a big sip from a can of red bull. Realizing he's emptied it, he looks for a place to put it. Not seeing a paper basket, he leans down and puts it down next to the desk. Then he reaches into the inside pocket of his jacket, and produces another can.
Oct 11, 2017 3:52 pm
Archie chuckles at Adam's joke, but secretly hopes that he doesn't have to come face to face with a clown this morning. He was, after all, just having his morning coffee.

He takes a long, slow drink from the stainless steel travel mug, taking a moment to savor the aroma of his single origin, East African, lightly roasted, small estate coffee. He swirls it around in his mouth like a professional wine-taster and swallows it. He sighs.

"I'd, uh, rather it be Mayor McCheese, or perhaps the Burger King -- someone with a bit more authority, you know?"

Looking around as he continues to drink, he becomes curious about this place and the woman before them. He leans forward and looks at her.

"My dear you have us at a disadvantage. I am Professor Archibald Prentiss, though you know that already, no doubt. Who might you be?"

Not waiting for a response, he turns to Adam and asks, "Do you know her? For that matter, do you know anything about this place? It's damned peculiar, I must say. What is this, a corn-spiracy?"

He chuckles at his own terrible joke, but then looks embarrassed. "Sorry..." he mutters.
Last edited October 11, 2017 3:55 pm
Oct 11, 2017 5:03 pm
"That means 50 cents in the dad jokes jar," Adam replies. "I don't think I know anyone. The only one I even saw before we were shipped out from the Academy was my roommate. He was clutching his bag muttering something about Siberia on his way out."
Oct 11, 2017 6:54 pm
After her eyes come up from the tablet they go between the two of you during your conversation and she replies curtly in a pause in your conversation.  "The Gambler." She states and you realize she's opting to just give you her call sign.

A few minutes later a man walks in, you see why you were warned.  He's tall and white haired but between the beard and white old southern style suit something screams out partial recognition at the tip of your tongue.  The part that throws it in a different direction is the size of the man’s frame, his neck looks like it could possibly pop off his black cloth bow tie and the patch over one eye has you noticing he’s staring at the two of you.  Neither of you have been this close to the mascot he looks like but you don’t remember him having that many scars on his face.  He stares at the two of you for several seconds not blinking before he speaks.

"Diana." he states getting the lady to stand suddenly and start tapping away as he begins.  She starts projecting pictures on the wall of various details he’s discussing from her tablet as he starts into his briefing.
[ +- ] Actual Mission Breif
[ +- ] Makhoudi
[ +- ] Larionova
[ +- ] Meetup location
Oct 11, 2017 10:52 pm
Archie sits, a bit dumb-founded, for a moment. He looks at the woman.

"....the Colonel! That's who was!"

He sits back for a moment, satisfied with himself. Then he leans forward again and looks at the woman.

"Diana, was it? Diana the Gambler? Listen, Diana. So this missing woman, Makhoudi, might have built a dangerous and valuable object, one possibly using alien technology or something? And now she's gone missing, and maybe Russian spies are to blame?"

He nods, looking at his partner.

"Ok. Find the missing scientist and her project. Keep it out of shady Russian hands. Anything else?" He looks at Diana.
Oct 12, 2017 1:15 pm
Diana looks at the two and nods, "That's about it... I'll show you the way to the Armory for loadout. I wouldn't drink the coffee Mildred offers if you if you want to finish your mission... also don't play poker with her." she advises the last part in a quieter tone her face growing stern as she frowns slightly.

She begins to lead you two on a rather small area in comparison to the conference room. Mildred you can tell by the name plate behind the grated window readily catches your attention. While the other two people have been in business attire and look professional Mildred is sporting a colorful flower print Moomoo, horned glasses with a pearl string around her neck, a grey beehive five times taller than her head and a facial expression that makes you wonder her age and if she possible went to school around the time Franklin D. Roosevelt's father did. You're also not sure if she's an out of style very old human or an alien.

She sips from a rather large cup of coffee and taps a cigarette staring at the three of you.

"I take it these are the new recruits." she asks in a graveling voice of someone's grandmother that had been smoking for several decades.

"Welcome to the Armory, I'm in charge her so what you get you sign for, if you lose equipment it's on you no excuses. Now... what do you two kids need?" she explains as she takes a drag on her cigarette and blows a plume of smoke behind her. The area behind her seems possibly larger then the lobby like area for picking up gear... or it might just be the area seems off do all the white still and the inability to tell where edges of things actually are inside her cage area.
Oct 12, 2017 1:53 pm
Archibald pauses for a moment, confused. He leans toward Diana and whispers, "Um, what should we ask for? Like, a laptop with a satellite uplink, maybe? Weapons? A James Bond watch that shoots lasers?"

He looks to Adam and shrugs.
Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm
Diana raises an eyebrow, "Why would you want to carry around a clunky slow laptop when you can just use an Oblivion mobile device? I'd definitely take whatever you're comfortable with going into Kazakhstan... if you need a watch that shoots lasers make sure you get it fitted. Honestly just ask for what you need for your mission, you're only allotted a certain amount of resources though." she asks a bit confused by the odd question about using a laptop.
OOC:
If either of you have the book check out the resource allocation section for points and what you can get. If not ask and we'll figure it out in character.
Oct 12, 2017 3:13 pm
Archie scratches his chin and looks off into the strange looking equipment room behind Mildred.

"Well, I suppose, for Equipment, I'd like a Semi Auto Pistol (Small Caliber) with 4 clips and Silencer, and an Oblivion mobile device. Ooh and one of the Oblivion Suits! Perhaps also a Stimpack."

He pauses, thinking, and then turns to Diana with a question.

"Oblivion is already providing us with a Contact. But will we need a Cover Identity? Or perhaps Legal Enforcement Powers?"
Oct 12, 2017 5:33 pm
Mildred shuffles around and starts pulling equipment the sounds of metallic lockers opening and various things being put on a cart can be heard out of sight before she comes back sliding out a data pad.

"Check the serial number on the pistol, verify the 4 clips and silencer are serviceable. You'll need to use your eye and fingerprints to set up the phone... Let me know if the suit is snug anywhere and we can do alterations." she explains items through the window. A small table comes out of the wall. A pistol and holster, several clips a silencer, a cell phone, and odd soft black long pouch is pushed though before a suit garment bag.

Diana waits quietly until she's asked a question. "If you think you'd need it I guess, a Cover Identity along any official channel will be legitimately you so it is nice to have but not necessary really if you are good at not sticking around when you shouldn't. Legal Enforcement Powers is above your paygrade though." she states eyeing Mildred.

"Diana..." Mildred stated taking a sip of her coffee, the older lady smiles for the first time since you've seen her.
OOC:
You're at 2.5 of your 4 points (noticed you have an additional Relic under equipment on your sheet that'd require 1 point. You have 2 more 'common/normal' gear options to pick as well.
Oct 12, 2017 5:40 pm
Archie takes the pistol, silencer, and clips, as well as the suit and phone. He requests 2 more mundane items, saying, "I guess throw in a pair of binoculars and some zip ties and I think I'm good."
OOC:
SO, to be clear, I've spent 2.5 points now, and that includes the binoculars and zip tie? And that 2.5 also includes the Relic, which I got from character creation, right? Can I keep the last 1.5 in case I want to request something while in the field? I'll include the pistol and Suit on my Character Sheet too.
Last edited October 12, 2017 5:40 pm
Oct 12, 2017 5:50 pm
OOC:
Sorry 1.5 from:
Pistol
Silencer
Clips
Oblivion mobile device
The Suit
Stimpack

Binoculars and Zip Ties would be .5

Relic for Quickness (Occult Branch Benefit?); Relic for Arcane Resistance (Unknown origin)
Oct 12, 2017 5:53 pm
OOC:
I got the Talisman from my Branch and the Relic as a starting Edge. So I’ve spent 2 resources total then right? Or does the Talisman from my branch come out of that pool of resource points? I’m happy to pay a resource point for it if necessary. Sorry I’m a bit confused; first time playing Agents of Oblivion.
Last edited October 12, 2017 5:54 pm
Oct 12, 2017 7:33 pm
"Well, guess I'll need a gun myself..." Adam shrugs. "Whatever he said. Then I'll need some Shades. Looking good and get a good look is vital. Silencer and some ammo. A phone. Need a Cover Identity. I'm thinking the name should be Max Hardcase, but anything would work. Oh, and load up my skill chip with the stealth program."
OOC:
Choose Stealth d6 from Skill Chip and going with:
Semi Auto Pistol (Medium Caliber) with 4 clips
Te Shades
Cover Identity
Oblivion Cell Phone
Silencer
Increased Ammo Capacit
Last edited October 12, 2017 7:33 pm
Oct 13, 2017 4:19 pm
eugenemarshall says:
OOC:
I got the Talisman from my Branch and the Relic as a starting Edge. So I’ve spent 2 resources total then right? Or does the Talisman from my branch come out of that pool of resource points? I’m happy to pay a resource point for it if necessary. Sorry I’m a bit confused; first time playing Agents of Oblivion.
OOC:
I thought your three edges were from character creation (One starting and two from hindrances) and your Relic was from the Branch for quickness? I originally though you just grabbed the stock loadout for someone from the Occult branch and copied to your character sheet before we started playing but I could be wrong.
SelectiveAmnesia says:
OOC:
Choose Stealth d6 from Skill Chip and going with:
Semi Auto Pistol (Medium Caliber) with 4 clips
The Shades
Cover Identity
Oblivion Cell Phone
Silencer
Increased Ammo Capacit
OOC:
I think Prentiss has The Suit vs The Shades but you're at 2.5, what's the name on the Cover Identity?
Roach gets a similar reaction out of Mildred who produces a data pad and the items requested. She taps on a tablet and points a laser pointer it looks like at his head and waits looking at the screen as the light hits him for a few seconds. "Done, as soon as you two sign off you're good to go unless you want something else."
Oct 13, 2017 5:26 pm
Remnant says:
OOC:
I thought your three edges were from character creation (One starting and two from hindrances) and your Relic was from the Branch for quickness? I originally though you just grabbed the stock loadout for someone from the Occult branch and copied to your character sheet before we started playing but I could be wrong.
OOC:
You may be right... Let me know if I need to change anything! Apologies.
Archibald smiles at Mildred, wondering just who -- or what -- she really is, and says,

"Thank you. I believe I have all I need at the moment. Good day, madam."

And with that he turns and looks to Diana, awaiting the next step in the process.
Last edited October 13, 2017 5:27 pm
Oct 13, 2017 10:10 pm
Remnant says:
OOC:
I think Prentiss has The Suit vs The Shades but you're at 2.5, what's the name on the Cover Identity?
OOC:
I just used the standard array from the book and traded police power with Cover Identity. If he gets away with it, he'll go for the name Max Hardstrong. Preferably they'll give him something less... secret agenty.
Oct 16, 2017 1:37 pm
Roach gets things handed over quickly and looks at his cover identity. "Maximilian Hurdstrom" has an odd ring to it but putting on the shades links Roach to his entire background as Mr. Hurdstrom from birth, family, friends, job history, and even hobbies. A photo of himself with a Mohawk with a guitar in his hands when he was younger let him know his cover identity has a punk rock phase. This Cover Identity seems quite elaborate in it's lies.

The director walks in with another individual that seems a bit rushed, "And that's the mission, this is Mildred she's the primary in charge of the armory. Once you're done at loadout you'll be leaving for Astana with the others. If you could rush his loadout that would be preferable." He states looking from Diana to Mildred before leaving the new comer to his own devices to figure things out.
OOC:
We'll go with Woolfe showing up late @KJSmith if you can read this post it was the brief the others got. Sent an email with corrections. Also figure out a backstory and what incident got you involved in Oblivion since it's the only agency dealing with weird stuff.
Mildred looks at what she's given out so far and moves back into inventory. She comes back with what loos like a small leather case and pulls out a compact submachine gun with an expanding stock before putting it back in, there's a scope attachment and silencer shown and put into the case. There's a collapsible baton put into the case and Cellphone put on the counter. A combat knife and for lack of better words thin looking rope on a spool are put into the case as well along with additional clips of ammo.
OOC:
Small Caliber Sub Machine Gun 12/24/48 - damage 2d6 Rate of Fire 3 Weight 9, shots 30 AP1.
Scope adds +2 when you're at medium range to shoot,
Silencer adds -1 when you're shooting small caliber for people around to notice you shooting,
50' of rope,
Baton (strength + d4)
Combat knife (Str +d6)

"Can you think of anything else you think you might need? That's half your allotment for equipment" she asks picking up a cigarette from an ashtray and taking a drag.
Oct 16, 2017 10:04 pm
I usually like to have a couple of revolvers, too...for the times I get into a little bit of a tight spot. If you have a good lock pick set in there...I wouldn't be opposed to carrying that, either...
kjsmith sent a note to Remnant
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.