1.6 - Under the Dome

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 6, 2015 1:17 am
You wander the halls and explore the rooms along the way. Through the windows, you see you are getting further into the valley and the domes are getting closer. Your stroll has kicked up no dust on the floors and no tracks. As a matter of fact, they are unusually clean. Even the pile that fell earlier seemed to disperse and clean up on its own.

The rooms you find seem to be living quarters, some personal and others leaned to communal living (barracks). This place is deserted, a ghost of what it once was and appears to have its own haunts too. A few rooms were closed and the doors sealed. Darazen and Vult worked to open the doors or bring power to the other side. In those cases the damage was clear, though sometimes not.

One room in particular gave Darazen fits. He was able to get the lights on, but before he got that far, it was clear this room contained a lot of Numenera. Vult was able to translate the tag over the room, reading something like "Central Control". Inside was a large room with several tables with control panels.

He and Darazen worked for an hour trying to open the door. The door would not budge. Darazen was sure the air was okay on the other side and the weight controls were nominal, but every time he tried to unlock the control, a voice in some unknown language would speak. Vult was finally able to get the voice to change into another language and eventually into common. "Security Protocol 1 in place. All access into the Central Command or the Computer Control Room is restricted by voice entry only".

During that time, the sound of the large emitters could be heard and from the windows a few large rocks were blaster from the sky. Lights flashed and screens changed, seemingly painting a large green X on the rock before the emitter destroyed it.

After several attempts and even with having found Numenera with voices recorded to reference or mimic, the voice refused entry and eventually reported that too many attempts had locked it out.

The party decided to continue to the domes. The hall leading into the dome was warmer and there seemed to be a bit of moisture in the air. The corridor end in a T. Turning left, you see a door which looks like it leads into the dome. Turning right, you see a simlar dome. Both are about 20 feet from you. The party turns left and walks about 20 feet and you immediately are stopped by a clear door. The walls here are clear too and you can see the extent of the dome. It is much larger than you expected.

The dome is made up of clear, hex-shaped glass walls held in place by metal supports. Vult opens his books are starts sketching and Darazen quickly starts counting. "If this thing is symmetrical (the same all around), this dome could hold the town of Jryek or Thriest." The glass, though clear, shows no light coming from inside.

Darazen finds the panel for the door. "Weight and air look okay... but the panel says the lights are on the night cycle. I'd say with the light of the moon, we could see in there, but I don't see a moon here."

Vult looks up from his book. "Well, I think we are on the moon and that there", pointing at the blue and white marble, "is home." Turning back to his book, he starts drawing again.

Darazen says to wait here and he scurries off to the other dome door and panel. After a few minutes, he comes back. "The other dome is lit and has air and trees."

Which way would you like to go?
Jun 6, 2015 2:42 am
Darazen returns from the other dome and adds, "Does anyone else sense that we have no idea where we are going and things seems to be real quiet around here. It's like a ghost town. Do you think we have lost our way? Maybe we shouldn't have come here?"

"Personally I think we should check out the lit dome I just found. For no other reason than it seems hopeful."

With that Darazen returns to the Dome he found and tinkers with the door panel. Maybe by now it is second nature...

Rolls

Open door - Numenera specialized book effort - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jun 6, 2015 3:58 am
While Darazen and Vult are messing with security, Khoren will search the room for Numenera stuff. When Darazen mentions the lit dome, Khoren will clap his hands and nod. He looks up at the blasting defense emitter and hunches reflexively.

He then retrieves the artifact and checks the distance.

Rolls

Numenera search, specialized - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jun 6, 2015 5:12 am
Since the party is gathered at the left turn of the T intersection, Yui will go back to the right and see what's there.
Jun 6, 2015 5:39 pm
"The lit dome makes the most sense to me, Darazen" Utazó says as she approaches Vult. In a low voice she asks, "Are we really on the moon?"
Jun 7, 2015 3:12 pm
Ooc: can we have a roll call on who's actively still playing?

I am...
Jun 7, 2015 4:10 pm
OOC: Still here.
Jun 8, 2015 1:51 pm
Darazen leads the party to the door leading to the lit dome. Lit, it looks even larger than the dark one (tho Vult assures everyone it is the same size). Darazen steps to the side panel, "Ready?"

Khoren and Yui take up defensive postures and nod as Darazen opens the door. A rush of humid air and the sounds of wild birds and insects floods the hall. Utazo steps in, taking the lead.

As Utazo passes the threshold of the dome, a thin curtain of light emanates from the frame as Utazo passes. It does not seem to affect her and she steps past and to one side and the curtain disappears.

Yui steps forward and the curtain appears again, before she gets into the door. A few spots of the curtain seem brighter for a moment then settle down and blend in with the rest.
Jun 8, 2015 6:17 pm
Darazen enters the room after his body guards and immediately performs a Scan of the area.

Rolls

Scan - intellect - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 8, 2015 11:34 pm
Khoren swoops into the life-dome, his cloak wrapped around himself in spite of the sudden warmth and humidity. He steps to the side and looks for anything suspicious, er out of the ordinary, er poisonous and bitey or punchy and stabby. {Perception rolled}

Out loud, he mutters to himself: How strange. I never thought there would be such life on the moon. There are mushrooms underground, I've heard, so I guess that it's not inconceivable. I guess I just thought that the moon would be... greener ... if there were trees and plants on it. I looks so gray and rock-like in the night sky. Barren. Maybe we're not on the moon and it's all an illusion. He pokes a plant with his boot, expecting proof-positive of how this is all just a trick.

Rolls

Intellect check, perception - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jun 9, 2015 12:28 am
Intrigued by the curtain of light that appeared as she walked through the threshold, Utazó will draw her sword and extend it through the threshold to see if anything happens.
Jun 9, 2015 12:45 am
OOC: Just noticed my perception roll, haha. Khoren is lost in his thoughts. Literally.
Jun 9, 2015 5:48 am
OOC: Is there actual fauna and birds in here? Or is that just something we heard?

"Weird beyond anything...are we in a jungle...on the moon? It...it feels good."
Yui starts whistling while absentmindedly poking at various shrubs and flora with her boot. Something is freeing about this place. Remembering them from home, Yui starts whistling various birdcalls, hoping for a response.
Jun 9, 2015 12:24 pm
As you step through the door, a light tingle ripples over your skin. You feel no adverse affects, just something you did not expect.

Darazen steps in and aside and starts a scan. In the area, he finds the door (panel: level 7), a shield over the door (level 5) which appears to let people in, but keeps the critters inside from getting out, and a small cypher (level 3) embedded into one of the nearby trees. When finished, the door to the hall closes.

The air in here is more like earth and less like that sterile environment you just came from. There are trees and brush, grass and plants and insects buzz around. In the near distance, you hear animals chittering and moving about. You can see the wall, the edge of the dome and as you look up, you see birds flying. As one nears the edge, the dome itself seems to come alive with a small blue glow and the bird turns to avoid it.

Everyone sees Khoren, armed and ready to fight, his sword draw and facing a tree.

The area you are in may have once had a path, but it is long overgrown.
(Perception check: everyone)
Jun 9, 2015 12:27 pm
Qralloq says:
Out loud, he mutters to himself: How strange. I never thought there would be such life on the moon. There are mushrooms underground, I've heard, so I guess that it's not inconceivable. I guess I just thought that the moon would be... greener ... if there were trees and plants on it. I looks so gray and rock-like in the night sky. Barren. Maybe we're not on the moon and it's all an illusion. He pokes a plant with his boot, expecting proof-positive of how this is all just a trick.
Yui leans over on one side, Vult on the other and almost in unison and harmony respond, "The moon is white and looks like a rock, except for the green stripe which appears once every 28 days."
Jun 9, 2015 12:55 pm
Darazen notices Khoren approaching a tree with menace. **things must be more dangerous here than appears** he ponders as he casually observes the harmless birds tweeting merrily.

The cypher catches his eye, and he looks around cautiously as he approaches it.

Rolls

Perception - intellect with effort - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jun 9, 2015 10:04 pm
Seeing Khoren draw his blade, Utazó stops poking at the threshold and slowly moves in behind him, her own sword drawn and ready to go.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 10, 2015 6:09 pm
As Darazen walks a tree, his hand up and searching, the rest of you look about. Khoren steps toward break in the trees. A path once, this area is heavily overgrown with weeds and brush. Several of the weeds are flowering and the sweet aroma they emit is enticing.

Utazó falls in behind, looking up into the trees. A fleeting glimpse of fur moves from one tree branch to the next and vanishes behind the leaves. Still staring up, she sees another and another peaking from behind clumps of leaves in the branches. As they look down, one starts to hoot and holler, followed by another and another until a chorus of hoots envelopes you from the tree tops.

As this is going on, Darazen finds a piece of Numenera embedded in the tree. It seems the tree has grown around part of it. Pulling out a small book and examining it closer, it appears that it produces water, clean water. The break in the tree seems to be funneling in the water into it and the tree seems to be taking it all in.

The hoots and hollers are getting louder and the animals making the noise seem to be gathering courage. They are peering out more and more, jumping from tree to tree, and making a general ruckus. In all, it looks to be about a dozen or so.

They look like small children, furry with long tails and when they holler, you see they have teeth.
Jun 10, 2015 6:21 pm
Darazen draws on his knowledge of creatures to determine whether the toothy animals are a threat.

Rolls

Knowledge creature - trained with effort - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jun 10, 2015 10:28 pm
Utazó will come to a complete stop and crouch on one knee. Sword still in hand she looks straight ahead and starts to concentrate on the ground approximately eight feet ahead of her. She does her best to create an illusion of one of the creatures above, only slightly larger, who then turns and looks towards the trees and hoots and howls at those above.

OOC: Basically crafting an illusion to try and scare the things above into backing off a bit. Don't know how well she actually saw what she's trying to duplicate, but we'll have a go.
Jun 11, 2015 4:55 am
Yui observes the creatures carefully. Well, we did step in here swords drawn and everything, so I can see why you little guys might be upset. But we don't want a fight, and I hope you can see that, but what about you? We mean you no harm if you mean us none.

Drawing on her people watching expertise, Yui examines the creatures for the same signals people give off when they're scared? About to attack? Just feeling threatened? With an uncharacteristically warm smile she lowers her arms to show she means no harm.
Last edited June 11, 2015 4:56 am

Rolls

Perception roll - (1d20)

(4) = 4

social perceptiveness-directed at creatures-with effort - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jun 11, 2015 1:14 pm
Khoren watches the others react to the small creatures with some wonder. "I wonder if moon monkies are poisonous," he says before heading into the trees. He tries to recall the layout of the base from what he has seen, and pushes through the wild room towards where he thinks he might find a door.
Last edited June 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Rolls

Intellect check, recall / extrapolate layout - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jun 14, 2015 1:36 am
Darazen looks up from his tree cypher and finds several tree animals looking down at him and making a rukus. They don't look threatening to him though and he goes back to studying his cypher.

Utazó drops to her knee and with sword out, but lowered, she stares at the ground in front of her. In her mind, she tries to put together a complete image of one of the tree animals and suddenly, one appears in front of her. She concentrates and it seems to grow and prim and starts howling back up at the trees.

Yui watches carefully, hoping that these animals are like kindred spirits or cousins. She watches to see if they are being aggressive, or protective. After a few moments, she decides they are not making any aggressive moves, just hollering and watching and taking positions where they have not only good sight, but also the ability to hide.

Khoren looks up and hopes none of them will jump him, worse that they won't bite him. He steps forward to the break in the trees, seeing what might have been a path. In his thoughts, he tries to imagine where the other doors might be. ~I think we came in through a door on the western side of the dome, heading east. If I remember, there was a door to the east (opposite side) and a door to the north (bearing left). Still, this forest looks larger than the dome could contain, taller.

A bright bluish/white light suddenly appears 10 feet in front of Khoren. The light splits and two white dots form, one drawing up and the other drawing down. A thin line connects them and grows longer as each moves away from the other. The tree creatures are howling louder and seem to settle into a rhythmic harmony. The lower dot stops just inches from the ground, the upper one stops and hovers around 7 feet above the lower one. The thin line separates into two thinner lines and a young lady steps through.

She is tall with flowing red hair, her tanned skin firm and her eyes as dark as night. She wears a green outfit that appears to be made up of leaves. Each leaf seems to overlap the ones below (not unlike scales) and as she moves, they seem to move with her. She is armed with a sword on her belt.

As her foot hits the ground, the blue lines whip around behind her and the lights close in on themselves, disappearing into nothingness. She stops some 8 feet in front of Khoren and lowers her head for a moment. The tree animals fall suddenly silent.

"Welcome", she says, her voice soft yet as firm as her skin, "I see my 'alarm' did not frighten you nor did it turn you away. My name is Ryss. What are you doing in my forest?"

A tree animal huffs and snorts. She does not turn her head, but her black eyes seem to move and the animal falls silent again.

She leans ever so slightly and looks at the animal in front of Utazó, Very nice. I would have done the same.
Jun 15, 2015 2:25 am
Khoren relaxes slightly when he sees the woman, and bows in the standard manner, his arm shifting his cloak back to reveal his leg bent with the bow, as well as his own sword. "Good day to you, Ryss. I hope that our intrusion isn't entirely unwelcome. Our intention is to pass through your remarkable glade and continue to explore this ... complex."

He straightens and appraises this person and her leafy clothing, but more importantly, her manner of entrance. She must have access to powerful Numenera. He glances at Utazo and wonders what the others think of this turn events. For himself, he feels a sense of, what he must describe as otherworldliness, and then smirks at the choice of words.

Rolls

Intellect check, Understand Numenera (specialized) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jun 15, 2015 11:21 am
Not wanting to disturb Khoren's address with Ryss, Darazen observes with interest.
Jun 15, 2015 9:43 pm
Utazó slowly stands up, breaks her illusion, and moves her hand off of her sword. "Uh, thanks", she responds to Ryss' compliment. She then waits in stunned silence as Khoren asks his question.
Jun 16, 2015 1:43 am
Ryss accepts the bow and nods at Khoren, "Well met".

Quickly, she turns her head and nods to Utazó, "And to you."

Adjusting herself ever so slightly, she turns to Yui. With a slight bow, "You look like someone who could take care of herself."

Without so much as a twitch, she is now facing Darazen. "Young man, you seem to be interested in what was", looking at the tree. "Perhaps we should spend some time talking about the now."

In a blink, Khoren finds her looking directly into his eyes, the blackness almost unsettling. "Forgive, I was rude. You asked me a question and I did not answer. Then again, it was not a question so much as a statement. You stated that you hoped your intrusion was not unwelcome and that your intention was to pass through this remarkable 'glade' to explore the ...complex. I think that is what you called it, no?

Well I am not sure what you call this place, but I call this portion of the 'Glade' my home. It stretches from the barrier to the river about 20 argos south. Here I study the ways of the spirit as I have for the past 1042 cycles". She pauses a moment and looks through Khoren to Darazen and then returns her gaze back. "I think, if my math is right, there are roughly 13 cycles in what you call a year. I was 234 cycles when I settled in this place, so that would make me... 98 years old". She pauses for a moment, nods and says, "Yes, give or take a cycle".

"Now in that time, I cannot say I've ever seen anyone cross through the border. Birds and insects stay away, the trees even give it some room. And if I had not seen it with my own eyes, I am not sure I would have believed it. Still, you are here, in this complex."

Speed or Intellect Perception checks: Everyone

Note: Darazen will remember without effort that an argos is a very old unit of measure. 1 argo is about 208 -210 ft, depending on the resource he pulls from.
Jun 16, 2015 2:05 am
Khoren's eyes narrow at her words and drift down and to the right in thought. He glances at the doorway through which they entered. Did we travel again?

Rolls

Intellect check, Perception, with effort - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 16, 2015 10:55 am
Darazen ponders. "I'm pretty sure an argos is about 200 feet. So her realm is about 4000 feet."

"Yes, Ma'am. Cyphers intrigue me. We are looking for one in particular, which is why I examine every one I find. I don't know if you've heard of it. It is called the Assassins Heart?"

Rolls

Perception - intellect with effort - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 16, 2015 8:35 pm
Speed check...

Rolls

Speed Check - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jun 16, 2015 10:17 pm
(Ooc: he said speed check, not snail check...)
Jun 16, 2015 11:35 pm
Merlin says:
(Ooc: he said speed check, not snail check...)
OOC: What fun is passing all of one's checks anyway? :-)
Jun 17, 2015 2:02 am
Ryss eyes look past Khoren and narrow as she looks at Darazen, "Assassin's Heart, you say. I cannot say I have heard of that. I wonder if it is related to the 'Inquisitor's Soul'. It was a nasty piece of Numenera, very old; I think you would call it an 'artifact'. I don't think it was meant to be that way. The old sages told stories of in a different practice. They say it was used to my those who investigated or enforced the laws, I think. A person who wore it could read the intentions or feelings of another. It was also said to protect the wearer from attacks of the mind. It was lost long ago though. Of course, it may not have been the only one, but still... why are you looking for it here? Very few have passed through the barrier and those who have tend to just go to the city, 'Armtro' where they find a home and live out their lives."

Utazó, still stunned by this women who saw right through her illusion continues to stare.

Khoren turns his eyes slowly back towards the door. The blue barrier covers the door which is still open. Looking carefully though, it does appear the barrier is obscuring the door more and more. Soon, it may not be visible.

Speed or Intellect Perception checks: Everyone
Jun 17, 2015 2:20 am
"Is the doorway growing.. vaguer?" Khoren asks, with some alarm.

Rolls

Intellect check, perception - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 17, 2015 2:34 am
Utazó looks towards the doorway...

Rolls

Intellect Check - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jun 17, 2015 2:51 am
"I don't like this."

Rolls

Speed-effort - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jun 17, 2015 3:17 am
Darazen listens intently to the words of the Woman of the Woods, or the Girl of the Glade, or the Female of the Forest. He tries to reach out to her telepathically while drawing on his own knowledge of Numenera. **Dear Lady Ryss, the artifact you describe... The Inquisitor's Soul does indeed sound very similar to what we've heard about the Assassin's Heart. Your knowledge is inspiring. Do you know what these artifacts look like?** Although the telepathic communication is almost instantaneous Darazen does pause to search his own memory of the Heart and it's rumored effects.

**Truly, I don't know why we are here, and I hope we aren't trespassing. We were trying to find a Queen. She killed some of our friends while searching for the Assassin's Heart. We decided to either find her or the Heart, but so far we have found neither. Incidentally, we met a creature of the Wood, his name was Birtwood. Have you heard of him?**

(Ooc: Darazen tries to recall what the Queen looked like from his vision. Hopefully this woman doesn't look like the Queen? - if so he won't say the second paragraph. This woman partially fits the description... Tall with red hair. But the Queen had alabaster skin and green eyes. Ryss has tanned skin and black eyes...)
Last edited June 17, 2015 3:36 am

Rolls

Intellect - Numenera, specialised, book - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Intellect - perception with effort - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Intellect - memory, trained - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 17, 2015 3:25 pm
Merlin says:
Darazen listens...

...**Truly, I don't know wh...**

(Ooc: Darazen tries to recall ...
Three rolls in one turn? I am generous... I'll give you TWO. Pick two (based on what you are trying to do).
Jun 17, 2015 10:22 pm
(Ooc: I'll take memory check first, and the Numenera check)
Jun 18, 2015 12:34 am
Looking at the doorway, Utazó and Khoren focus on the door. The blue field, the 'Barrier' as Ryss called it, seems to be gorwing thicker and more dense. It appears to be closing around it and getting thicker. You can still see the hall behind it, but the view is getting more and more obscured.

Yui smiles and takes a half step forward for a moment. Ryss is alluring, but something seems off. Yui takes another half step and it hits her (or doesn't), this woman does not smell. The leaves of her 'armor' would help her to blend in, but even those seem odorless.

Darazen, listening intently to Ryss tries to picture the queen he saw in the commanders mind. Yes, she had long red hair, but too many other differences and he is positive this is not her. He uses his mind and training to reach out to Ryss to get some answers. (PM to Darazen)
Jun 18, 2015 12:54 am
"Lady Ryss, are you a projection?"
Jun 18, 2015 5:56 am
[After hearing Darazen's question]

"No offense intended, hey?" With a retch Yui pulls backward, jerking forward again to spit as hard as she can at Ryss.

Yui wants to test Darazen's theory and see what happens when the spit hits Ryss. Hopefully somewhere conspicuous.

Rolls

Precise spit attack on Ryss-speed - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Jun 18, 2015 2:36 pm
Ooc: personal message sent to GM.

Rolls

Intellect - Numenera, specialized, effort, book - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 19, 2015 3:29 pm
A very mucus filled spit flies from Yui's mouth and lands on Ryss, hitting her square in the chest. She steps back, a bit appalled and shocked, "Now that is no way to treat a lady. I am shocked at such....barbarism."

At that time, the tree animals start howling and grunting. Looking at Darazen, "And you? You think I am a projection? I assure you, I am not."

Ryss reaches into a pocket or fold in her armor and pulls out a small cloth. She proceeds to clean off the mucus that has descended on her armor. She lifts the cloth in the air and it disappears in a blink of light. "Now, about the matter of your trespassing...."

As Khoren and Utazó turn towards the door, they hear the ruckus level rise. The barrier has all but completely obscured the door. As a matter of fact if they were not staring at it, if either turned away and turned back, they may not be able to find it again (15% chance to see it). The door control panel beside it is completely obscured (5% to find it, 80% if you know where the door is).

Ryss looks back at Yui....

Everyone roll Initiative
Jun 19, 2015 11:54 pm
As something is obviously going wrong, Yui unsheathes two daggers and points one of them at Ryss' throat, backing up the warning with a homicidal twitchiness.

As Ryss hasn't outright proved yet that she is a threat, Yui won't attack her, but if she does anything even slightly malicious Yui won't hesitate to attack as fast as possible.

Rolls

initiative - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 20, 2015 2:12 am
Hearing the commotion behind her, Utazó's attention turns away from the door and towards Ryss. She takes a step back as her hand finds the hilt of her sword.

Rolls

Initiative [Trained] - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Jun 20, 2015 6:45 am
Darazen visibly rolls his eyes at Yui's crude behavior, and to make sure the host is aware that they aren't all disrespectful he says, "Really, Yui? No, really?"

Hoping to rescue the rapidly deteriorating situation, he puts his hands up to show he isn't armed and says, "Lady Ryss, we come in peace, we mean you no harm! Please forgive my crude friend. We thought you were an illusion, but I'm sure there are better ways the test that theory."

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jun 20, 2015 12:56 pm
Khoren feels the tension rise behind him, and the wet sound of spit. Reluctantly he turns his eyes from the vanishing door and prepares to face some new horror.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jun 22, 2015 12:16 am
Round 1

Utazó: Turns from the door and faces Ryss. Her hand falls to the hilt of her sword as she faces Ryss.

Ryss: "Now, about your trespassing and very rude behavior.... " She gestures and several tree creatures hoot and growl.

One tree creature leaps to the ground in front of Yui, putting itself between Yui and Ryss. It is bipedal, covered in brown fur and carrying a stick. It's eyes are silver and shiney, almost like a mirror. Its face looks almost man like and it is hard to tell whether it is smiling or baring its teeth.

Another jumps down about 15 ft in front Utazó, just out of reach. Holding up its stick, it hoots and also flashes its teeth.

At the same time, two more leap down; one in front of Darazen and another in front of Khoren. Each brandish a stick, and each grunts, howls and bares its teeth in a smile.

Yui: IN a flash, Yui has two daggers in hand and is easing back. She is careful not to throw them, but is trying to show that she means business.

Darazen: Raises in hands in a gesture he hopes to show a form of submission or surrender (to prove he is un-armed). He states that they come in peace, though through the corner of his eye, he sees Yui draw her daggers. He gestures a slight downward motion in hopes that both sides will disarm just as a tree creature lands in front of him.

Khoren: Khoren thinks better, but still turns as he hears to commotion behind him. Hands go to weapons, but he keeps them drawn.

Ryss steps back 2 steps and the lights that brought her her flash, drawing up and down and with the line between. She smiles at Darazen and says, "I am NOT projection." On her third step, she steps through and the lines close, she is gone.
Jun 22, 2015 12:36 am
Seeing the creature in front of her Utazó tightens the grip on her sword and partially unsheathes it. She holds her off hand up and open towards the beast in an effort to calm it.

OOC: At this point she'll take a Wait action. If the creature moves towards her in a threatening manner she will attack it when it's in range.

Rolls

Attack [If needed] - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jun 22, 2015 3:46 am
Darazen is disappointed that Ryss failed to acknowledge his attempt to quell the tension. Leaving the imminent battle was not only cowardly but also appeared to leave no room for diplomacy. It didn't look like these trees and monkeys would listen to reason if Ryss herself wouldn't. None-the-less, Darazen attempts one last desperate draw on his knowledge of creature to determine if they are intelligent enough to reason with.

ooc: I don't think scan needs a roll but creature knowledge does
Last edited June 22, 2015 3:49 am

Rolls

Intellect - scan with knowledge creature trained - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jun 22, 2015 1:08 pm
Khoren will use his Push esotery to fling the stick expert in front of him toward some soft looking bushes.
Jun 22, 2015 4:25 pm
"My methods do have a habit of breaking down peace talks. Sorry, Darazen." Yui smiles at Darazen apologetically before rushing at the ape, leaping with a spin into the air before bringing both daggers swinging down.
Last edited June 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Rolls

Dagger attack - (1d20)

(4) = 4

dagger attack - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jun 22, 2015 6:42 pm
Round 2

Utazó: She raises her (left) hand trying to calm the animal (TC1), hoping to avoid bloodshed as these animals have not yet attacked (they are just noisey). Still, her (right) hand is prepared with her sword half drawn and readied.

Tree Creatures:

Tree Creature 1 (TC1): The creature in front of Utazó screams and dances, shaking its stick but stays out of immediate reach.

Tree Creature 2 (TC2): The creature in front of Yui howls and hops back and forth, shaking its stick but stays out of immediate reach.

Tree Creature 3 (TC3): The creature in front of Darazen smiles and shakes its stick but stays out of immediate reach.

Tree Creature 4 (TC4): The creature in front of Khoren rocks back and forth on his feet, knees bent like it might spring at any moment, but stays put with its stick raised.

Yui: Smiling and explaining her peace keeping techniques to Darazen, Yui leaps at her opponent (TC2) and strikes out with both daggers. In mid air, she swings and misses. She lands in a crouch and springs back, catching the tree creature in a critical area. The creature screams and disappears, leaving the stick in the air.

Darazen: With a small motion, Darazen scans the creature in front of him (TC3). Tasking his memory, he tries to identify the creatures from their Numenera classifications.

Khoren: Khoren raises his hand the gives a pushing motion as he concentrates on the creature(TC4) in front of him. From its rocking position, it is tossed back into a soft looking bush. A bit stunned, it drops its stick and disappears.

Remember, tell me what you are doing, followed roll to achieve it. If you are attacked, you will need a (second) defense roll.
Jun 22, 2015 9:49 pm
Utazó relaxes a bit as the creature in front of her fails to attack. Drawing her sword the rest of the way but not really threatening anything with it she turns her attention towards Ryss to see how she seems to be reacting to all of this.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Jun 23, 2015 3:07 am
(Ooc: Ryss has gone... Also I've been advised by GM that "tree creatures" are not trees, but monkeys, so I am correcting my post below)

Darazen continues to raise his hands, maybe a futile gesture now, but at least he doesn't need them if he has to defend himself.

"Listen folks, this might sound crazy, but I don't think the tree creatures are the threat here... Keep your eyes on the sticks!"

Darazen really does all he can to avoid combat. It seems to him that the party are way off track, and fighting creatures that appear to have little to do with the Queen does seem futile.

Watching the creature and its stick, especially the stick, Darazen prepares to dodge.
Last edited June 23, 2015 1:11 pm

Rolls

Dodge - speed - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jun 23, 2015 4:54 am
Quote:
The creature screams and disappears, leaving the stick in the air.
It's levitating?

As there is no immediate threat and trusting the others, Yui reaches for the floating stick before reconsidering at the last second, poking it with a dagger instead. What's up with this thing? Is it safe?

Rolls

examine floating stick-perception - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Jun 29, 2015 10:59 pm
(ooc: Khoren....we are waiting on you)
Jun 30, 2015 2:22 am
Khoren waits for something else to happen. He is uncertain as to the motivations of the creatures and is unwilling to provoke them further.
Last edited June 30, 2015 2:26 am
Jun 30, 2015 5:03 pm
Round 3

Utazó: Drawing her sword from its sheath, Utazó turns to look for Ryss. Ryss is no where to be seen. Still, Utazó does not raise her blade. The furry creature from the trees (TC1) steps back into a crouch, preparing to jump.

Tree Creatures:

Tree Creature 1 (TC1): The creature in front of Utazó crouches, screams and dances, shaking its stick but stays out of immediate reach.

Tree Creature 2 (TC2): Disappears (blinks out of existence) after Yui hit it.

Tree Creature 3 (TC3): The creature in front of Darazen snorts and shakes its stick but stays out of immediate reach.

Tree Creature 4 (TC4): Has disappeared (blinking out of existence)

Yui: Yui sees the stick hanging in the air. She starts to reach for it, then decides better and pokes it with her dagger. "OWW!", she hears and a small electrical charge hits Yui through her dagger. "Watch who you are poking with that thing!" (Yui: Speed defense: Level 3 - Succeed, take a single point of damage and keep hold of your dagger. Fail take 3 points of damage and drop your dagger.)

Darazen: Darazen was unable to learn much from his scan, but he is pretty positive the furry creatures from the trees are not the problem here. He keeps his hands raised in a peaceful gesture at (TC3).

Khoren: Surprised by the sudden disappearance of the forth furry creature from the trees (TC3), Khoren decides to hold his actions.

Remember, tell me what you are doing, followed roll to achieve it. If you are attacked, you will need a (second) defense roll.
Jun 30, 2015 8:38 pm
After either succeeding or failing to dodge the electrical charge, Yui looks at the stick incredulously.

"Can you...talk? What the hell are you? (is it a magic item? A masterfully crafted illusion? Or simply a sentient stick?)"

Yui smirks. "Look, I didn't mean to hurt you, sorry, really. Wanna talk?"

Rolls

speed defense - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jun 30, 2015 9:15 pm
After seeing Yui take damage, Khoren leaps to attack the one screaming at Utazo, drawing the second punch dagger as he goes.

Rolls

Punch dagger attack 1, TC1 - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Punch dagger attack 2, TC1 - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jun 30, 2015 10:55 pm
Utazó, still not sure what to make of what is going on, will keep her blade drawn and move towards the creature in front of her.
Jun 30, 2015 11:33 pm
Darazen focuses a physical onslaught on the stick wielded by the monkey in front of him.

Rolls

Onslaught - effort - physical - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Jul 7, 2015 4:25 pm
Round 4

Utazó: Confused, Utazó steps forward towards the creature in front of her (TC1), sword drawn, but not making an attack move.

Tree Creatures:

Tree Creature 1 (TC1): From its crouch, it springs up into the trees, grabbing limb and branch to lift it above the fray.

Tree Creature 2 (TC2): The twig left floating in the air lets out a bit of a yelp and flys upward into the trees.

Tree Creature 3 (TC3): The creature reals in pain after Darazen's attack on its stick. It screams and disappears (blinking out of existance). The stick screams and flys into the air, above the party and into the trees.

Yui: Yui drops her dagger with a twitch of pain and a reflexive action.

Darazen: Darazen makes an onslaught attack, focussing on the stick and not the monkey holding it. (TC3). The fur creature disappears and the stick flies away.

Khoren: Khoren decides enough is enough when he sees Yui flinch. He leaps between the Utazó and the furry creature (TC1) just as it starts to jump up. Try as he might to pull and ready the second punch dagger, he fumbles and it gets stuck. He rolls into a squat, "Wait a minute... I got this", fumbling more and trying to recover, "gimme a second..."
"WAAAIIIT!", a very low thunderous voice entones, "They do not appear to intend harm!"

In response, several smaller, lighter voices are heard to protest, "But they came through... they have weapons... that one poked me...."

"QUIET!" and a hush falls over the woods. "My apologies, they are harmless, mostly." You all look around, the voice seems to be surrounding you, coming from all directions.

"My apologies, no more 'games', shall we?", and with that one of the trees moves, it's limbs shaking as a few birds who had nested fly away. The tree's roots seem to move the dirt around them as this tree, some forty feet tall 'swims' toward the party. He shakes his limbs again and smaller limbs fall to the ground, stopping just above and float.

"My name is Agesm and I am true in this world. I have been the caretaker of this glade for some... time. Time does not seem to mean the same thing to everyone. Something I think Ryss was trying to explain."

He waves over the sticks, "These are my sub-children. They are me, but have a mind of their own. They help me tend the grove and defend it when needed. One of them MAY eventually grew to replace me when I grew too tired, but that is a long time from now."

You look at this tree and think back to the creature you all rescued, Birtwood was it? Could this be...

"I assume you came from the homeworld, the place of all of our birth?", it raises a limb to point at blue marble near the horizon. "It makes me happy to hear there are still children of children of children still thriving there."

"But, I digress. I assume you came through the barrier for a reason. I mean, so few do come through and those who do are often lost, but you all seem to have an air about you. You did not immediately start hacking down my breathern and even when provoked, you did not take an offensive posture. How can I help you today?"

Jul 7, 2015 5:30 pm
Darazen continues to stand with his arms up in a submissive gesture. He recognizes the "tree creature" (ooc: wink) as being similar to Birtwood.

Speaking aloud he says, "Greetings, we sincerely mean no harm. We have had a tough journey, attacked by many creatures, so my friends are a little twitchy and battle weary. Thank you for not attacking us."

As he speaks he draws on his creature knowledge to confirm his suspicions that this creature is similar to Birtwood.

Rolls

Intellect - knowledge creature - effort, trained - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jul 7, 2015 7:44 pm
Merlin says:
Darazen continues to stand with his arms up in a submissive gesture. He recognizes the "tree creature" (ooc: wink) as being similar to Birtwood.

Speaking aloud he says, "Greetings, we sincerely mean no harm. We have had a tough journey, attacked by many creatures, so my friends are a little twitchy and battle weary. Thank you for not attacking us."

As he speaks he draws on his creature knowledge to confirm his suspicions that this creature is similar to Birtwood.
Well genetically speaking, he is a branch of the family tree. You do notice some major differences though. First, he spoke of age and he is very old. Secondly, Birtwood used two primary limbs (pierce and Bash) and Agesm looks like a tree with many limbs. There does not appear to be a mouth, least not that you have seen. He also speaks common (which Birtwood had to learn). There also no eye stalk. So while yes, they are both plant based, they have little in common otherwise.
Jul 7, 2015 8:42 pm
"Mr Agesm, may I ask you a question?" Assuming the answer is yes, because no one ever says no to being asked a question, Darazen adds, "Have you heard of the Redhaired Queen? Have you heard of Birtwood? Have you heard of the Assassin's Heart?" He smiles knowingly, "That's three questions, isn't it?"
Jul 7, 2015 9:56 pm
Carefully listening to the conversation between Agesm and Darazen, Utazó sheaths her sword and awaits any answers that Agesm may have.
Jul 7, 2015 11:15 pm
Khoren brushes imaginary lint off of his dagger holster and then purposefully looks at no one in particular. He wraps his cloak around him, and watches Agesm and Darazen converse. He then begins to examine his surroundings for more of the pesky phantasms, or for anything else that may harm them. He also looks for signs that they are no longer in the moonbase.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jul 8, 2015 12:27 am
As what she thought was a simple overgrown root begins to "swim" and start talking, Yui lets out a low whistle. There's always something new to see. Incredible.

Yui does nothing but smile at the tree with her signature grin, genuinely happy at the sight of the moving tree.
Jul 10, 2015 4:15 am
Khoren, looking around, finds the furry tree creatures gone. He finds it hard to discern between the trees and the floating sticks. He looks closer at where the door and the wall were and finds that the barrier seems to mimic the shades and colors around it so well that he cannot see the edge or the wall.

"Mr Agesm? I've not been referred to by title in .... well since before your parents parents parents parents." It is hard to say if he turned or if the wind blew in a slightly different direction. "Darazen, is it? Well, Mr Darazen, you are filled with questions and I am sure that when I have answered these, you will have more still. Let me see if I can answer what you ask.

"A red-haired queen? I have seen many a red-headed female humanoid in my time. I tend to favor the ginger, though don't ask me why." He shakes a limb and sounds whispers through his leaves and a light appears in front of him. It splits and folds and out steps 'Ryss' in her head headed beauty. "Like 'Ryss' here, she is a red head, but can also be", a shuffled of leaves and her hair turns jet black, "something else. She is my eyes, ears and voice when I do not want to alarm someone too much. It is a trick I've taught my youngling, who use the fur-creatures." A small limb waves in a breeze and 'Ryss' disappears again.

"By the way, Ms Utazó, I liked what you did, to try to diffuse the situation which was why I let it go a bit further. Well done."

"Ms Yui? I am curious where you learned to move like the. I think my younglins would want to learn a few of those moves as they mimic the fur creatures movements at times."

"Now, Mr Darazen, to your other questions. I know not of this Birtwood. Is he or she a friend of yours that you might be searching for? I know I have not seen anyone come through the portal in .... maybe 10 of what you call years."

"And as for this 'Assassins Heart', I have told you all I know of something like that, something called the 'inquisitor's soul' (June 16, 2015 10:02 pm).
Jul 10, 2015 6:01 am
"I dunno, honestly. It's just how I move. Maybe it's calisthenics a tree needs?"

"To pile you with more questions, where...well, what exactly is 'this' place? I mean this dome and the forest, this entire complex, this entire moon?"

"Okay, fine. That's confusing. What exactly is this station we're on?"
Jul 10, 2015 11:53 pm
"I think I know where Birtwood is. He's like you, and communicates with lights. He has some sort of artifact merged with him. I'm not sure but it might be the Assassin's Heart. I'd like to get back to him but don't know how."
Jul 11, 2015 1:50 am
Khoren lurks near the doorway. Wondering at the illusions, he reaches out and attempts to find the wall and the door they came through.
Jul 11, 2015 4:25 pm
Utazó nods to Agesm as he mentions her name and then stands quietly as Darazen and Yui continue to ask questions.
Jul 12, 2015 4:57 pm
Khoren takes time to try to find the door again. The "barrier" has resumed its natural function and has blended the walls into the natural surroundings (ooc: think walls of a the holodeck from ST:TNG). Pressing forward (or in this case, backwards) produces no results. The door seems to have vanished. (Perception check) (GM Note: Once "blended", the task to find the door is "immortal" in difficulty (lvl 9). Use whatever resources you can, telling me how you think they might help)

Darazen reports the similarities to Agesm between Birthwood and Agesm and realizes as he is discussing it, they really are too difference species. "This Birtwood sounds like an interesting character, someone I would like to meet someday." (Intellect check after hearing this and what he tells Yui and you)

Yui poses more questions to which Agesm responds, "Moon base? Dome? Well, I am not sure of those terms. I know that we are here. This is called Dobitatsi. It has always been here. It is said that we all descend from the mother, the blue marble that crosses the sky. When I came to be, some several hundred of your years ago, I was told to protect and nurture this glade. I know little more than what is about me, what I hear from the hunters when they travel this far the city, and once a traveler came through the barrier. This traveler, Darazen, searched for years to find the way back, but finally gave up. I think his name was Cisc. He built a small shack. If I remember, it is about a mile or two south of here, near a bend in the river.

Utazó stands near a tree, weapon stored, but ready. She listens intently the questions and answers.
Jul 12, 2015 5:44 pm
Darazen says, "Maybe you are related to Birtwood? Distantly related across time and space?"

Darazen looks deflated at the news that Cisc never found a way home. "Can we visit this shack? It might have some clues on how we can get home."

Rolls

Intellect - effort (trained if creatures) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jul 13, 2015 3:49 am
"Okay, enough chit chat. We should find that cabin and explore the rest of this area."

Yui will start heading to the cabin to the south.
Jul 14, 2015 2:37 am
Utazó, still listening, starts to work her way towards Darazen in anticipation that the rest of the group will shortly follow after Yui towards the cabin once the conversation is finished.
Jul 15, 2015 6:58 pm
Gathering all your stuff and wits together, Yui leads the party walking south. She starts one way, then turns and takes a few steps, pauses and scratches her head. "Which way is south?"

Agesm seems amused, his limbs shaking and a chortle can be heard. A branch reaches down and the grass clears away to a loose dirt floor. "Allow me" and the dirt starts to create a pattern. Small mounds form and little tree sprout up. A small spring of water forms and makes like a small riverway, flowing into a lake. A small diorama forms (Note, the Arrow points WEST):

http://www.numeneraJournals.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Map-Dobitatsi-600x400.gif

Agesm states the shack is south, along the river, near the second bend. You are roughly here, pointing to just east of the mouth of the river, near the top of the map.
Jul 16, 2015 1:34 pm
Darazen shrugs. "Mr Agesm, how far is it to the shack? When we were outside the dome looked 2 miles across, so I assume it's less than 2 miles?"
Jul 16, 2015 1:40 pm
Khoren looks at Agesm and says "thank you" for the beautifully 'enacted' map. He sighs and leaves the doorway area to get a better look at the map.
Jul 16, 2015 3:55 pm
Qralloq says:
Khoren looks at Agesm and says "thank you" for the beautifully 'enacted' map. He sighs and leaves the doorway area to get a better look at the map.
Wher u going to roll a perception or anything?
Jul 16, 2015 4:01 pm
Merlin says:
Darazen shrugs. "Mr Agesm, how far is it to the shack? When we were outside the dome looked 2 miles across, so I assume it's less than 2 miles?"
"The shack is roughly 8 pasecs from here", he pauses, "about 5 miles as you call them. As for the dome, as you call it, no....it is much larger....I don't know exactly as I have not traveled its distance, but from what I have been told, it is 160 to 170 pasecs from edge to edge, if you can find the edge. I think that is is about 100 of you miles or so. "
Jul 16, 2015 4:23 pm
"Wow, 100 miles?? I've heard of statistical errors, but Vult was way off with his 2 mile estimate!!"

Darazen pauses and looks around. "Wait a minute! Where is Vult? Didn't he make it through the door? Oh, and where's the door?"
Jul 16, 2015 5:15 pm
"Okay, five miles, come on!"
Jul 16, 2015 11:18 pm
grandmaster says:
Qralloq says:
Wher u going to roll a perception or anything?
OOC: I can't hit a 27, even with effort.
Jul 17, 2015 11:03 am
"Well, we can either find the hut or find the door. I'll try, maybe someone can help me?"

"Nope, it's pretty hidden. Hut it is then."
Last edited July 17, 2015 11:04 am

Rolls

Intellect - Numenera, effort, specialized, book - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jul 17, 2015 2:46 pm
"Might as well get a move on then!"
Jul 19, 2015 3:30 pm
You gather your things and head south. The river flows south, it grows wider and deeper as more creeks add to it. After two miles, the river runs deep and is about 20 yards wide. Animals scatter as you approach and after another three miles, the river bends again. According to the drawing Agesm made, the shack should be around here somewhere. Looking around, you see a small clearing across the river.

(perception checks)
Jul 19, 2015 3:59 pm
Utazó stops and takes a gander around.

Rolls

Perception Check - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jul 19, 2015 3:59 pm
"Hmmm, according to Agesm the shack should be around here somewhere."

Darazen draws on his trained memory to match the surroundings with the map to locate the shack.

Rolls

Intellect - perception with training (memory), effort - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jul 19, 2015 4:42 pm
Khoren enjoys the peaceful walk through the countryside and attempts to gain the others insight into where they might be. "It seems that this dome is much larger than I had expected from that crater we were in. Are we underground perhaps?"

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jul 20, 2015 5:25 pm
Utazó and Yui, leading the group, start looking. Across the river, in the clearing stands a small cabin. It appears to be in surprisingly good repair considering Cisc has been gone for many years. The river has a decent current, but still looks swimable. The far shore varies from 45 - 70 feet across.

Khoren ponders the location. Looking up, the sky is bright and blue and goes on for a great distance. It would be hard pressed that this in underground. Still, it would appear that it is much larger in the dome than outside of it.

Darazen pauses a moment and looks around. He tries to map in his head the diorama Agesm showed them. This is the bend and the clearing supports that. The shack should be here and the cabin is right there, on the other side of the river. Darazen closes his eyes and pictures the map again. The dot was right on the bend. "I know little more than what is about me", Agesm said.
Jul 20, 2015 11:37 pm
"It's over the river! Damn, I really don't like swimming. And the hut looks in great condition for an abandoned shack."

Darazen walks to the bank and says, "oh well, I guess the only way to cross is to swim. I hope I don't drown."

Rolls

Might - swim - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Jul 21, 2015 12:28 am
Working along the Wyr most of her life, Utazó is no stranger to swimming. Checking her pack to make sure her items are secure she wades into the river until it's deep enough and then starts to swim for the far shore.

Rolls

Might (w/effort) - Swimming - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jul 22, 2015 3:17 am
Doing the same as Utazo and putting her katana on her shoulder, Yui looks for the shortest swim before entering the stream.

Rolls

swim-might - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Jul 23, 2015 2:52 pm
From the side of the river, Darazen steps into the water and starts to swim across. Utazó wades in next to him and after a few minutes, it looks like the two are racing each other. Utazó has definitely spent time on rivers and is no stranger to water. Her strokes are fluid and sharp. Darazen though, keeps up and reaches the far first. He turns to check on the others as Utazó stands in the shallow water. (Utazó and Darazen: perception checks)

Yui started just after Utazó, but the current is stronger than she expected. She is not struggling to swim, but is being pulled further down stream than Utazó and Darazen were. (Yui: Another swim check)

Khoren can be seen still standing on the far shore. He has a look on his face as he is not sure if he should try to swim, wait where he is or see if he can find a more narrow option.
Jul 23, 2015 7:23 pm
Proud of beating Utazo to the other shore he sort of suspects she wasn't racing. As he drips dry he looks around.

Rolls

Intellect - perception with effort - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Jul 23, 2015 9:13 pm
C'mon now, Yui. It can't be that hard.

Edit: Niiiice.
Last edited July 23, 2015 9:13 pm

Rolls

Swim - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Jul 23, 2015 9:33 pm
Walking onto the shore, Utazó flashes Darazen a quick smile, "Hadn't picked you out as a swimmer."

She takes off her coat and starts to flap it in front of her, trying to get as much of the water out as possible before putting it back on. "Could do with a bit of a fire to dry things out, what do you think?" she asks before taking a look about the area.

OOC: I take it we haven't noticed Yui struggling yet?
Last edited July 24, 2015 12:31 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jul 24, 2015 12:22 am
After watching the others clamber through the stream, Khoren sighs and enters the water as well. He wades in, and then dives and swims as hard as he can.

Rolls

Swim check (Might with effort) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jul 24, 2015 2:55 pm
Darazen looks over at Utazó and sees the wet tunic clinging to her body and gets lost in a moment of thought. He continues to try to dry himself off while not looking too conspicuous.

Utazó looks back over the river and spots Yui. She is struggling and it is not just from the current. The water looks deep and black near Yui and there appears to be something near her, snake or tentacle... it is hard to tell from here.

Yui looks forward and focuses on the far shore. She was making okay progress when the water around her went black and noxious. Suddenly something beneath her wrapped around her leg and is trying to pull her under.

Khoren, finding a slightly narrower spot in the river, wades in and starts to swim. The narrowness though squeezes the water into something a bit faster than he expected and he is carried further down stream than he expected. He is swimming, or floating would be more accurate and is making little progress (quarter speed, if that).

(Roll initiative: everyone)
Jul 24, 2015 3:14 pm
OOC: TPK by drowning - nearly had that in an oriental adventure game a couple of years ago

Rolls

Initiative, speed check - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jul 24, 2015 4:21 pm
OOC: Darazen, you perv!!

"Something has got Yui!" Utazó exclaims. "We need to help her."

Rolls

Initiative [Trained] - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jul 24, 2015 9:55 pm
ooc: Sorry Utazo, bit distracted there. Pictured Ursula Andress in Dr No.

When Utazo shouts her warning about Yui's predicament he prises his eyes away from Utazo's chest. "Shit, what's happening?"

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Jul 25, 2015 1:19 pm
"Mother of-" Yui is cut off as she goes under and then resurfaces a second later, fighting the thing beneath her. Feeling her katana slipping out of her grip, she grabs it back by the tip of the pommel and clutches it to her chest, desperately afraid of losing it.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jul 26, 2015 1:26 pm
(Ooc: my fault, should have asked for initiative AND actions)

Ok, what are your actions?
Jul 26, 2015 1:32 pm
Darazen will attempt to scan the area Yui is in to determine what is attacking her.

Rolls

Intellect - scan - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jul 26, 2015 2:41 pm
"Hold on, Yui!" Utazó yells as she sheds her pack, grabs her sword, and rushes back into the river.
Jul 26, 2015 4:33 pm
Yui's action

Keeping an iron grip on her sword, Yui will try to slam her leg with the thing on it onto a nearby rock, hopefully forcing it to release her.

Rolls

slam thing into rock-might - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jul 26, 2015 4:53 pm
Khoren, who is apparently an indifferent swimmer at best, will attempt to make his way toward Yui. He hopes that he can get there, but has been making little progress. He recalls swimming in the Wyr river, and remembers a particular spot his gang, er, friends used to go to. They spent a fair bit of time there, celebrating with their ill-begotten gains. Familiarity overwhelms him, and his limbs refocus their energies.
Spending 2 xp to become Trained in Swimming in the Agesm River, or whatever it's called.

Rolls

Swimming, trained - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Jul 27, 2015 7:47 pm
szemely says:
"Hold on, Yui!" Utazó yells as she sheds her pack, grabs her sword, and rushes back into the river.
Swim check please
Jul 27, 2015 10:11 pm
Swim check...

Spending an XP this time.
Last edited July 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Rolls

Swim Check - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Swim Check 2nd - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jul 28, 2015 1:37 am
Yui struggles as the weed like tentacles wrap more around her legs, arms and body. She kicks down, hoping to find a rock or something, but all she finds is water. It is deeper here than she thought.

Darazen concentrates at releases his mind to find out all he can (check your PM)

Utazó, sword in hand, dives into the river and swims out to Yui. She makes it as another plum of blackness spreads through the water. She stops and sees Yui's arms wrapped by what looks like long strands of sea-weed, except this seaweed is moving.

Khoren pauses from far bank and calms himself. He knows how to swim and focuses his mind. He pushes out into the river and towards Yui who looks like she is entangled in strands of seaweed. As he and Utazó get there, the blackness in the water spreads and the strands tighten on Yui.

The river monster, feeling its prey entangled in its arms, tightens its arms and starts to pull the prey down. Its prey struggles, but the tentacles are many. It shall eat well today.
Jul 28, 2015 3:23 am
Darazen shouts, "It's a plant so it can't chase you, it is fixed to the bed. So if you can escape it that will be best."

Then Darazen attacks it with physical onslaught.
Last edited July 28, 2015 3:24 am

Rolls

Intellect - physical onslaught w effort - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jul 28, 2015 10:16 pm
Utazó will attempt to get close enough to slice at the strands that are holding Yui.

Rolls

Swim (if needed) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Slice (if needed) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Jul 29, 2015 3:43 am
Making sure her sword is secure in one hand, Yui will pull a dagger out and attempt to slice the tentacles on her legs off.

Rolls

cut tentacles-speed effort - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Jul 29, 2015 1:48 pm
Khoren attempts to use his Push esotery to force Yui towards the bank, hoping that breaks the creatures hold, and not her leg.
Aug 4, 2015 4:31 pm
Darazen shouts and tries to attack it remotely, with a physical onslaught and fails. He knows his failure is not by much. However, he does manage to tell the party (including Yui) that it is a stationary plant in the water.

Utazó dives into the river, swimming to Yui and pulls her sword to slice the tough fibrous tentacles. The water makes it harder, but she does manage to pull Yui loose a little (with help from Khoren and a good swim check).

Yui struggles to stay at the surface, but knows it is a loosing battle. She holds her sword tightly and removes a dagger from her belt. Under the water and holding her breath, she tries to slice at the tentacles pulling her down and misses.

Khoren raises his hand and attempts to push Yui away. He has her in sight and pushes. With the help of Utazó, he manages to push her a little distance, but not free.

The river monster, feeling its meal struggling and slipping away, tightens the grip and focuses more tentacles around the limbs. Its prey struggles to stay on the surface and it manages to drag it under for a short time. (Yui: Speed defense + 1 level harder). It also senses the arrival of a new morsel and sends a few tentacles towards it. (Utazó: Speed defense)
Aug 5, 2015 3:42 am
Hoping to hurt the creature sufficiently to let Yui escape, Darazen unleashes a physical onslaught.

Rolls

Intellect - physical onslaught with effort. - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Aug 5, 2015 9:33 pm
"Oh no you don't!" Utazó shouts as she can just make out something approaching her legs from underneath.

Rolls

Speed Defense [Trained] - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Aug 7, 2015 4:15 am
Something about being dragged under by a tentacled plant certainly can jog the memory. With newfound remembrance of long buried training, Yui makes a renewed effort to escape.

(That description is a bit overdramatic, perhaps, for looking at my character sheet and realising I've been Trained without Armor this entire time. Derp~)

EDIT: Wow. WOW. Okay, I am so rerolling that.

EDIT EDIT: FFFFFFFFUUUUU-
Last edited August 7, 2015 4:19 am

Rolls

speed defense-effort (trained) - (1d20)

(2) = 2

speed defense-effort (trained) - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Aug 8, 2015 4:55 pm
Khoren dives under the water, a dagger to hand, and tries to both keep Yui high in the water with his shoulder, and hack the frond of seaweed holding her.

Rolls

dagger attack - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Aug 10, 2015 1:41 pm
Utazó sees the tentacles coming at her and keeps them off. Swimming just out of its reach. She tries desperately to grab at Yui without luck.

Darazen calls upon the spirits to punch the creature. Through the darkened water he hits with his onslaught.

Yui struggles and is being pulled down further. The water is dark and cold, but Yui is able to hold her breath.

Khoren, diving under Yui and trying to push he up realizes that this beast is stronger than he thought. It is pulling him down as well. He starts swing at it with his dagger and sees it is scratching the surface, but not getting through the leathery hide.

The river monster has never had to work so hard for its food. Sure, it would eat well IF it could capture all three, or even one. Still, it's prey is fighting back with a varicosity it has not seen in a while, and it is getting hit by something it cannot see. With that, it retracts all its tentacles back to itself, releasing Yui who surfaces, followed closely by Khoren.
Aug 10, 2015 2:04 pm
"I hurt it! Quick, swim for your lives before it attacks again!"
Aug 10, 2015 5:39 pm
Heeding Darazen's advice, Utazó turns and heads to the shore.

Rolls

Swim Roll - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Aug 12, 2015 8:54 pm
Not believing her luck and her friends (thanks guys!), Yui back-pedals as fast as possible.
Aug 21, 2015 4:21 pm
Khoren also tries to make it to the shore.
Last edited August 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Rolls

(11) = 11

Sep 21, 2015 8:17 pm
Khoren makes it to shore, the last one and you all sit for a moment, resting (take any recovery rolls you need....action or 10 minute). The river clears up from the dark ink the river creature spewed and as you watch the river, you see it catch a large fish in its tendrils. If you did not know it was there, those tendrils would look just like the river grass.

After you are catch your breath, you get up and head towards the shack. It is small and as you approach, you hear no one inside. You walk around to the entrance. A small wooden door is slightly ajar. Knocking, you get no answer and you step in.

The inside of the room seems to have a cook area, a small table which looks like it was used for anything need, from prep table to dining table. There are (6) small bed frames with bare mattresses. Looking further, you find a small empty pantry and small storage closet with a two fishing rods and tackle.
Sep 21, 2015 11:59 pm
Darazen winks at Utazo as she emerges from the river.

Later, looking around the hut he shrugs. "Well this is pretty boring, isn't it? No one here. Why did we come here again?"

Raising his hand he starts to scan the room.

Rolls

Scan - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 22, 2015 12:33 am
Khoren emerges from the water, and then takes some time to dry his clothing (using hedge magic). He pulls his cloak tightly around himself and watches the large fish get devoured. His gaze travels to Yui and an unfathomable look crosses his brow.

At Darazen's comment, he doesn't answer but retrieves the artifact and checks the location of that which they have been following.
Sep 22, 2015 12:40 am
Rolling her eyes so far back into her head she can see her own spine Utazó ignores Darazen and will search the outside of the small building.

Rolls

Search - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Sep 22, 2015 2:05 pm
Darazen scans the hut and finds.....nothing. The contents are mundane and the shack seems to be a small fishing hut, a shelter used by those who wish to fish.

Utazó searches around the outside of the hut. She finds 3 shins, gold colored coins. She also finds various broken tackle and line, a pit used to dispose of fish parts and little else.

Khoren pulls out the tracking device and attempts to activate it. While wrapped in a water resistant cloth, It seems to have taken some damage from the water. The lights are dim and the screen is not functioning.
Sep 22, 2015 2:26 pm
"Every felt lost or helpless? There's nothing here, not sure what to do now. We are trapped in a dome with no exit, and standing in a hut with nothing of use." Darazen is getting frustrated, and he can't believe the journey has to end here. Certainly the dome does not seem to be a safe place to be with all the meteors flying around overhead.

"I'll go and search outside. You never know..."

With that Darazen starts scanning outside the hut.

Rolls

Scan - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Sep 22, 2015 2:44 pm
Khoren puts the artifact on a dry piece of ground hoping it will dry out, and says "The artifact appears to be broken. We could keep walking in one direction and hope to find the edge of the dome. Perhaps we could then look for an exit."
Sep 22, 2015 2:55 pm
Everyone: Perception checks
Sep 22, 2015 4:30 pm
Khoren stops, looks and listens..

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Sep 22, 2015 8:55 pm
Pocketing the few shins that her search turned up she takes a knee next to the building and scans her surroundings.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Sep 24, 2015 12:29 pm
Standing outside, Khoren looks around. "This is a fishing shack, not an old hermits hut", he thinks to himself. He listens and searches the area. Something on other side of the river catches his eye. The hill looks like the other hills, maybe a bit too much. He leans closer and raises his hand to shield his eyes from the sun, even though there is no real sun in the sky.

Walking closer to the bank, that hill on the left and that hill on the right are identical, every tree, every branch and fallen limb. That just don't happen. "Why did we cross this river again?"
Sep 24, 2015 2:52 pm
While scanning Darazen also uses his eyes.

Ooc: whoop!!
Last edited September 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Sep 24, 2015 7:37 pm
"This doesn't look like somebody's cabin, it may be just another shack. Look at these hills, they're identical. Perhaps Cisc's cabin is nearby. If we can find him... Well, that wouldn't be a good sign that there is a way out." Khoren looks at Darazen cryptically, waiting for ... something.
Sep 26, 2015 6:33 pm
Khoren points out the two hills to everyone and Darazen steps over and looks. Khoren and Darazen both know that no two things in nature are completely identical. As Darazen looks closer, they both look like they could be a hermits cave, disguised and camouflaged. Thinking back, these two hills looked like every other and definitely not like a shack, and the fishing hut seemed logical at the time.

You will have to try to cross the river again. You know where the river creature is and can avoid it (providing there is only one). You can make a swim check (two checks to fully cross) or find another way to get back across.
Sep 26, 2015 8:59 pm
"Terrific! We are on the wrong side of the river. Stay clear of the weed thing... I don't want to have to save you again!"

With that Darazen wades into the river knowing he's pushing his luck.

Rolls

Swim - might - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Sep 26, 2015 9:30 pm
Khoren joins Darazen recrossing the river in a non monster infested part.

Edit: added 2nd check
Last edited September 28, 2015 1:06 pm

Rolls

(3) = 3

(5) = 5

Sep 26, 2015 9:55 pm
"Son of an abhuman - not again..."

Rolls

Swim Checks - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (18) = 18

1d20 : (3) = 3

Sep 26, 2015 10:00 pm
Ooc: I szemely is paying attention...

Rolls

Swim - might - 2nd half of river - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Sep 28, 2015 5:23 am
"OOOOY! Are you stupid?! You're getting in again, right after we just barely managed to get out?!"

Likely inflicted with lifelong seaweed PTSD, Yui shakes her head at her stupidly brave companions. If they make it halfway through the river safely, Yui will very begrudgingly start swimming to the other shore. If not...

To help my swimming rolls, I'll use my Jack's Flex skill today to become trained in Swimming.

OOC: I feel like my dice owe me this.
Last edited September 28, 2015 5:24 am

Rolls

swimming-trained - (1d20)

(17) = 17

swimming-trained - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Sep 28, 2015 10:45 pm
Crossing the river seemed....easier this time, picking a place down stream and out of reach of the river creature. Khoren seemed to struggle the most, being pushed downstream in the current until it got shallow enough to nearly crawl across.

On the other side, you regroup and dry off (hedge magic or otherwise). Khoren and Darazen step up one of the bank to get a better vantage point of the two hills. Indeed they are identical, right down to the tree limbs and flowering plants. Your presence disturbs a long eared rodent (roll initiative against the fuzzy bunny... just kidding). He pokes his head up from the brush on the hill and another one appears on the other hill. The first one turns and scatters away followed by the second one just half a second later. As the second one leaves the bottom of the hill, it fades and disappears. The first rabbit, however, runs away and into thicket bush.

A closer look finds two identical holes one each hill, both sealed with a door recessed in.

Hill one (left) or Hill two?

Perception rolls and tell me what you are doing, looking for, etc.
Sep 28, 2015 11:04 pm
Darazen observes the rodents with curiosity. Are the two hills identical because one is a mirror or duplicate of the other? It certainly must be more than coincidence that a rodent appears from a hole in two identical hills at the same time. But why did one disappear?

In addition to perception Darazen also scans a rodent as it runs away (hill two).

Rolls

Perception - intellect - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Sep 28, 2015 11:34 pm
Drawing her dagger from its sheath, Utazó will approach the door on the left most hill. If able, she'll get close enough to put her ear to it to see if she can make out any noise from within.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Sep 29, 2015 2:31 am
Khoren frowns at the disappearing rat, and looks for other discrepancies. "Illusions, phantasms? I think this happens when they change something."

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Sep 29, 2015 7:54 pm
As Utazo has the left, Yui will take the right door. Instead of listening, Yui will push the door open by a tiny fraction and take a peek inside.

Rolls

Look inside right door-perception - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Sep 30, 2015 11:30 pm
Utazó investigates the hill one the left, dagger out as she listens intently to the door. *tick* *tick* *tick* *tick* Even with a light pressure, the door opens and reveals a darkened room inside.

Darazen scans the rodent as it runs from hill two. He picks up a slight energy signature, but little else as it fades and disappears.

Yui investigates the hill one the right. Even with a light pressure, the door opens and reveals a darkened room inside.

Khoren stands back, watching the hills and the other party members. A small bird decides to land on a limb of a tiny bush on top of hill 2. As it spreads its wings to land, the bush fades and the bird takes back to the air with a caw.
Oct 1, 2015 3:13 am
Darazen shrugs. "Curiouser and Curiouser." He wanders over to hill one and says to Utazo, "My shins are on this one."

He then scans the entrance door being examined by 'Zo.
Oct 1, 2015 3:21 am
"I think you're right, Darazen. There is some sort of noise coming from this one. A ticking sound."

Utazó will work her way into the room and let her eyes adjust to the darkness before looking around.

Rolls

Looking around. - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Oct 1, 2015 3:48 am
Khoren approaches Utazó. "Be careful. Whatever is here does not want to be found."
Oct 1, 2015 7:45 pm
Seeing Utazo enter the room, Yui pushes open her door and enters. Wonder if the insides will be identical as well?

Thread locked