Are you a system collector?

Oct 17, 2017 6:10 pm
I find that I collect RPG systems with the good intent of playing them or convincing my friends to play them. I now find that I have a lot of books that will very likely never see play. I also have quite a few game systems that I see and think "that sounds fun" so I buy a PDF and find it months later.

I even have a few that were bought solely because someone in my group said "I'm going to run Deadlands because undead cowboys would be cool!". Guess what never got played? :)

So, any other collector's out there? Or, are you the type that knows what you love and stick to it?

Just a few systems I have that may never get actual play:

Eclipse: Phase
Coriolis
Etherscope
Beyond the Wall
Monsters and Other Childish Things
Deadlands
Mutant Chronicles
Mouseguard
The End of the World
Last edited October 17, 2017 6:10 pm
Oct 17, 2017 6:47 pm
Oh I'm up to my neck in PDFs of systems and supplements that will probably never get used. I have a table I'm GMing for now that will hopefully hit peak 5e at some point and want to try other things or, even better, a player will step up to GM something different.

For now I've started to rip bits of mechanics or settings out of other books to incorporate them into our regular game.
Oct 17, 2017 11:47 pm
I've got probably more than 60 RPGs (Some with dozens of splatbooks) in print and scores more in PDF. Some I've never played (Robotech, Stormbringer) and others Im hoping somw day to get a shot at (Microscope, Trollbabe, Savage Worlds).
Oct 17, 2017 11:56 pm
I'm the same, though MOST of mine are PDFs. I highly doubt that I'll play more than a few of them in my home games, which is really unfortunate, but that's what I have GP for ;)
Oct 18, 2017 1:59 am
Same here, mostly a pdf guy. But at the place I do my hybrid therapy/social reinsertion, they help people with schizophrenia reintegrate using a work-like environment, and they chose a printing place for that, which means I get to print them for cheap. :D

But yeah, I own waaayyyyy too many games... to many to even bother to list them. XD
Oct 18, 2017 2:56 am
I own many systems as well, both hardcopy and PDFs. Honestly, I get them mostly to read them and see how they're implemented. The vast majority of the time I have little-to-no interest in running one and only marginally more interest in participating in one if it was run.
Oct 18, 2017 3:32 am
falryx says:
I own many systems as well, both hardcopy and PDFs. Honestly, I get them mostly to read them and see how they're implemented. The vast majority of the time I have little-to-no interest in running one and only marginally more interest in participating in one if it was run.
+1 to this.
Oct 18, 2017 4:03 am
I would say I am a collector, but I don't really collect just for the sake of collecting much. Does that mean I'm not a collector? :P

I own maybe a dozen rpg cores (plus various supplements) in hardcopy, and maybe twice that in cores in pdf (plus various supplements), and I've played everything I own in hardcopy, and probably at least 50% of what I own in pdf. I'm very fortunate to have a IRL weekly table that got tired of d20 several years ago.

Oddly enough perhaps, many of the ones I'm unlikely to ever play are some of the "signature" free systems out there, but they do tend to have something about them that makes me want to have them on hand (Fate, Eclipse Phase, Stars Without Number, Dread), so I still don't consider them collected for the sake of collection...

I need to fix this not-having-played-Dread thing... Halloween's a-comin', maybe this year's the year!
Oct 18, 2017 6:15 am
Guilty... double guilty if you count my Steam library too. Thanks, Humble Bundle and Bundle of Holding!
Oct 18, 2017 3:25 pm
WarDomo says:
Guilty... double guilty if you count my Steam library too. Thanks, Humble Bundle and Bundle of Holding!
Oh, let's don't even start with Steam libraries :D
Oct 18, 2017 3:37 pm
emsquared says:
I would say I am a collector, but I don't really collect just for the sake of collecting much. Does that mean I'm not a collector? :P

I own maybe a dozen rpg cores (plus various supplements) in hardcopy, and maybe twice that in cores in pdf (plus various supplements), and I've played everything I own in hardcopy, and probably at least 50% of what I own in pdf. I'm very fortunate to have a IRL weekly table that got tired of d20 several years ago.

Oddly enough perhaps, many of the ones I'm unlikely to ever play are some of the "signature" free systems out there, but they do tend to have something about them that makes me want to have them on hand (Fate, Eclipse Phase, Stars Without Number, Dread), so I still don't consider them collected for the sake of collection...

I need to fix this not-having-played-Dread thing... Halloween's a-comin', maybe this year's the year!
I did get in one game of Dread some time back. It was fun and actually it was our group's Halloween game :)

I just started a D&D game here but if it goes well and I feel I have the time I want to do an Eclipse: Phase game.
Oct 18, 2017 5:23 pm
Eclipse Phase was fun but ultra crunchy (I ran a multi tab spreadsheet for my character for to the session audits from the GM for what I was doing being legit/in the rules/not me talking out my butt). I'm unsure how

I enjoyed the game of Mousegaurd on gamer's plane that happened a while back, quite was a fun game. Although I did slowly fall into a crazy mouse with heavy tones of batman (That hook and thread though XD...)

Haven't played Deadlands but Deadlands Reloaded was a lot of fun.

If we're talking settings for a generic system though I'd kind of fall into the same boat though. No worries. More systems means you have more mechanics to learn and pull from.
Oct 18, 2017 7:23 pm
Remnant says:
Eclipse Phase was fun but ultra crunchy (I ran a multi tab spreadsheet for my character for to the session audits from the GM for what I was doing being legit/in the rules/not me talking out my butt). I'm unsure how

I enjoyed the game of Mousegaurd on gamer's plane that happened a while back, quite was a fun game. Although I did slowly fall into a crazy mouse with heavy tones of batman (That hook and thread though XD...)

Haven't played Deadlands but Deadlands Reloaded was a lot of fun.

If we're talking settings for a generic system though I'd kind of fall into the same boat though. No worries. More systems means you have more mechanics to learn and pull from.
Ahh, I didn't realize how crunchy E:P is. I just bought the book because the setting looks really great. I am just reading fluff right now and haven't gotten into the actual rules yet.
Oct 18, 2017 7:47 pm
Grogg_Stoutheart says:
Ahh, I didn't realize how crunchy E:P is. I just bought the book because the setting looks really great. I am just reading fluff right now and haven't gotten into the actual rules yet.
If you like the setting of Eclipse Phase, read the novel it is pretty much based off of: Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs series).
Oct 18, 2017 7:59 pm
emsquared says:
Grogg_Stoutheart says:
If you like the setting of Eclipse Phase, read the novel it is pretty much based off of: Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs series).
Oh cool. I didn't even realize it was based off a book series. Thanks for that, I'll pick it up.

I just bought Leviathan Wakes, which is the book the TV show The Expanse is based on.

Well, well. Looky here :) I hope it's good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261227/
Last edited October 18, 2017 8:06 pm
Oct 19, 2017 12:10 am
I have boxes and boxes of hard copy games, from '82 onwards, now relegated to the attic. I try to restrict myself to PDFs now though I do get review copies of stuff too. Just got a copy of Pulp Cthulhu which looks sweet ( I have a soft spot for the genre right now)
Oct 27, 2017 9:22 pm
Grogg_Stoutheart says:
Considering you can be anything from an uplifted whale morph to a robot like Wall-E it's any interesting system especially for how people view each other as equals not equals. I thought it was bad people tried to power game and thought getting a BFG was a good idea considering we jumped around so much. I think I was the only one trying to max out rep to get 'favors' from multiple factions.

Link to our adventure logs
Last edited October 27, 2017 9:22 pm
Oct 28, 2017 7:13 am
I don't collect systems like you guys, but I have a terrible habit of buying board games with miniatures. I buy them with the intention of being played and painted. They see little of both, though some. Mostly, they are just awesome to have. Take up more space than pdfs, sadly lol.
Oct 28, 2017 7:00 pm
Valcos says:
I don't collect systems like you guys, but I have a terrible habit of buying board games with miniatures. I buy them with the intention of being played and painted. They see little of both, though some. Mostly, they are just awesome to have. Take up more space than pdfs, sadly lol.
Yeah, I have a similar problems with the physical games I own. I'm at the point where I must seriously consider buying another bookshelf... One of my friend said he'd keep an eye out for one for me, so if I can get it free, so much the better. :D

You do not have permission to post in this thread.