Character Thread

load previous
Jun 9, 2015 11:21 pm
Well, I'm still ironing a few details. I did flirt with the thing in the cave being a great old one, but I want Command to be on my spell list. If the spell list were adjusted that would work for me...but I'm happy with what I've got. I think demons could drive someone insane too...like the other guys were just not mentally strong enough. Kildrak's Wisdom will be decent. But I'm sure he will have a quirk or three because he's talking to a demon. As for Pact I'm leaning toward Book of Shadows, for the extra spell access, but Pact of the Blade would be cool to.

As for what he's doing in Agartha...he left because his patron told him he needed to. Kildrak is in search of something that will make him a true hero among his people it is unclear what the thing is, hiss patron claims the future is still clouded. And yes I did pick up on the lack of a king, but didn't want write to much. But glad we are on the same page.
Jun 10, 2015 5:26 am
themightykobold says:
Kildrak looks pretty good. It seemed more like a pact with The Great Old One (driving everyone insane) but I can dig a deal with the devil. Did the encounter leave you with any quirks? I would say you may want to flesh out your infernal benefactor a bit. Also, what Pact did you select? Also, why are you in Agartha?

Funny story, the kingdom of Mountebanc is presently without an acting king (some murderhobos came through and killed him) so perhaps he can actually help you secure the throne.

For everybody: once you have finished your character idea and are ready to sumbit a character sheet please do. Then feel free to post in the background forum, no more than 500 words.

I'm thinking if we can get everything locked down this week, we can start the adventure by Monday. Sound good? Conversely, if you want to start sooner, than everyone can get their character sheets and backgrounds in by tomorrow and we can start Thursday. What works best?
I got the character sheet done on paper but I'm out of time tonight and will do the entry into the GP char sheet tomorrow along with background

edit: submitted
Last edited June 11, 2015 5:21 am
Jun 11, 2015 8:28 am
Hello guys! I'm totally ok changing to a different character than a monk if you want it Harlandski. :D Or we could be twin brothers. I have a Half-Orc Monk who loves fine clothing and shiny/fancy things. He needs some work but I'm willing to work with everyone. :) I mean I could also be an Aarakocra Barbarian with a gambling problem or a Half-ling fighter who loves cheap shots and low blows. I have no shortage of ideas.
Jun 11, 2015 1:51 pm
@mikelzap - I'm not going to play a monk any more, but I think heirophant is.

Cassandra Waveborn, Water Genasi Druid (background tbc: sailor? folk hero? hermit? outlander?) - Hit points for levels 2-5 (Constitution 16/+3)

Rolls

level 2 - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

level 3 - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

level 5 - (1d8+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

level 4 - (1d8+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

level 3 (reroll) - (1d8+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Jun 11, 2015 3:00 pm
I am working up an air genasi monk. Putting the character sheet together today :-)
Jun 11, 2015 3:08 pm
So right now we have:
Dwarf Warlock Urchin
Water Genasi Druid
Human Barbarian Sailor
Air Genasi Monk
Half Orc Monk Outlander that may be something else.
Jun 11, 2015 4:05 pm
Very cool assortment of PCs. I'm liking this.

I have a couple of equipment questions. I am a fan of "flavoring" the basics when appropriate to give the right image, to my own mind at least. To this end, I was wondering if I could have a mount that uses the stats of one of the standard animals in the mounts & vehicles, but is described differently. My character is going to be the type who likes to show off his money, but he won't give it away...somewhat of a miser, but not as penny pinching as Scrounge in "A Christmas Carol". To that end, I am considering purchasing a chariot and an animal to pull it. What I would like to describe is some kind of ram, a species domesticated by the mountain dwarves that serves as pack animals mostly, mounts in a pinch. Basically the real world an analog would be a llama or alpaca...but with a shorter neck and ram horns. I'm thinking the pony makes the most sense, or mastiff. Its stats wouldn't change but it would (hopefully) add a little flavor to the mountain dwarf culture. Is that OK?

Also...I'm going to roll a random trinket for the "memento of my parents"
Last edited June 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Rolls

Trinket - (1d100)

(99) = 99

Jun 11, 2015 4:25 pm
For everyone if I haven't mentioned it to you directly yet:
Quote:
You have an additional starting wealth of 600gp.
I may have misspoke and said it was 700 in your notes foolsmask so you may have just lost 100gp. :/ Mea culpa.

Also, they have stats for a goat in the MM that I messaged you. We could give it an extra hit die for oomph.
Jun 11, 2015 4:34 pm
Your right about the money...I missed that too, I will double check my spending And the goat stats work for me if your OK with that use of the animal. I don't have the MM yet and didn't think to ask about that.
Jun 11, 2015 5:18 pm
Cassandra Waveborn, Water Genasi Druid Sailor (True Neutral) backstory. I'll try to finish the rest of her stats tomorrow (it's late evening for me now).

Abandoned by her human mother on a tiny island in a distant sea, the infant Cassandra was picked up by some pirates with a soft heart. From the pirates she learnt foul language, how to swab a deck, and some detachment towards life and death. When she was a young teenager, her ship was taken by the Prince's Health, a ship of Agartha's Merchant Fleet, but her age and sex spared her the gallows. The ship's chaplain saw spiritual promise in the young genasi, and in between her working the galley and (yes) swabbing the deck of that ship, he tried to excite her interest and devotion for the Lord Bahamut. But Cassandra couldn't make the jump from cutthroat pirate to lawful good devotee, always feeling more of a connection to the sea itself and all the varied life it contained. At port in the distant town of Bluehaven, the ever pragmatic brother Campbell went ashore and found a more suitable tutor for the girl - a half elf coastal druid by the name of Atharia. Brother Campbell gave Cassandra leave to train with Atharia, on the proviso that she would serve the Fleet in the future as a healer. Atharia and Cassandra honoured the promise, though Atharia sees Cassandra's role more as a protector of the seas and its creatures. Cassandra has fulfilled both roles and more, her unusual abilities as a genasi leading her to perform as anything from a lifeguard to a diplomat to aquatic creatures. However, there are those in the Merchant Fleet who feel uncomfortable about having someone of elemental parentage and piratical background on board, and Cassandra suspects it may be this party which has pushed her forward to represent the Merchant Fleet on the current mission - to leave the sea and venture into the mountains of all places. However, Cassandra is ever philosophical about the turns of life, and sees she may yet be able to fulfill some of her interests on this mission: Mountain streams and lakes to tend to, not to mention her adventuring companions who by the look of them will soon need her healing ministrations.
Last edited June 11, 2015 5:22 pm
Jun 12, 2015 7:51 am
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8d/c1/e5/8dc1e521dbf70e08d82ea8086e2759f2.jpg

Fēng
Aarakocra Monk (Level 5, Way of the Open Talon: Wild Wind Fighting Style)

The tribe of aarakocra who build their eyries high in the mist-shrouded Q’sulth Mountains spend simple lives of peaceful isolation from the outside world. But the tribal elders understand that isolation and ignorance are very different things. To pretend that the outside world does not exist is folly because evil from the outside is constantly threatening the peace of their mountain enclave. That is why the best among them are trained from youth to become warrior monks and are sent out into the world to learn of its dangers before returning to the mountains as true guardians of their home.

Fēng was raised in the Golden Talon Sanctuary where the days are spent in quiet contemplation and the perfection of the art of Kuang Fong ("wild wind"), an aggressive fighting style centered around the flow of personal energy, using the aarakocra’s natural speed & agility and their flying ability to deliver whirling attacks, and strikes from above with talons and weapons.

Fēng is a young aarakocra, truly devoted to his people and his order. All his young life he has trained to fight, but is yet untried in real combat. He is quick of both body and mind. Perhaps a little distracted at times because of his newness to things outside his cloistered experience. His curiosity sometimes gets the better of him, something that the Sanctuary Masters have always reprimanded him for. His sense of wonder and his fierce loyalty are his best personality traits.

---------------------------------------------------
I'm still working out some of the details, particularly his alignment (are we even using alignment here at all?)

I put the level 4 ability boost in Dex.

I'd also like to add some kung fu flavor to Fēng's gear. The monk starting equipment package specifies 10 darts but I'd like to go with 1 rope dart instead (How would you stat this? Same as a regular dart?). His primary weapon is a spear and his unarmed strikes of course.

We've all seen kung fu movies so we know what that's like. Kuang Fong, ("wild wind") Style taught at Golden Talon Sanctuary is distinct in that it utilizes the aarakocra's flight. Ever seen a cockfight? I know, I know, I agree that animal fighting is cruel, but if you've ever seen one (I have) then there's a bit of that mixed in: intense bursts of flight to get the "high ground" and deal death from above.

What about hitting opponents with a grapple, hoisting them 60ft into the air and dropping them? Legal? Nothing in RAW against it but I know that some GM's disallow it. But I am actually contemplating making it so Fēng's monastic order sees such tactics as dishonorable. What do you guys think?

I love that the item I rolled on the Trinkets table is a fan that, when unfolded, shows a sleeping cat. Wind-themed character...fan...get it? I'm going to say it's a bladed war fan. Fēng would probably never use it in actual combat but he uses it during his meditative practice early in the morning.

I've never had the opportunity to play this race nor this class and the two just seem to work so well thematically that I just had to give it a go! I hope I RP it well :-)
Last edited June 12, 2015 9:31 pm
Jun 12, 2015 9:34 am
Ok I am working on Urki Clearspirit he's a former guild cleric. Hired for nothing more than healing and he's tired of being used as a one trick pony. He's left the guild where he picked up calligraphy and tinkering and is setting out to work on new adventures. He wants to be more than just a healing bot with nice handwriting. He has forged a few letters of recommendation's saying he is a good listener and follower but Urki is out to prove himself and knows Agartha is dangerous!

Gnome cleric guild artisan. I think this will be a flavorful and balanced addition to the group.
Jun 12, 2015 6:29 pm
I've done some more late-evening work on Cassandra, and have submitted her character sheet, though I'm still choosing cantrips and equipment.

Edit: I've chosen four of my five cantrips, and I'm stuck for the fifth between poison spray and thorn whip. I wonder if I could reflavour either of them to fit my character concept, while keeping the stats, so "briny spray" or "cat o' nine tails"?
Last edited June 12, 2015 7:09 pm
Jun 12, 2015 7:11 pm
I'm a huge fan of reflavoring/reskinning :-)
Jun 13, 2015 9:06 am
Urki "Lightweight" Clearspirit, I'm a 105 year old gnome cleric in search for something new. Formerly the lead healer and medicine administrator to a guild of dragon hunters in Dragonwick. The Dragosense Company in Dragonwick hunted dragons in the hills near the town and they would use nearly every part for trade. Hearts for blood magic, bone for ornate weapons, scales for light armor, meat and fat for cooking or alchemy, eyes and teeth for jewelry. The revenue the guild was making was a decent sum and when I asked for a raise I was scoffed at. So when I saw the chance I took 600g and a dragon tooth necklace and fled during a mission.

I got to another town after fleeing several jarring experiences. A group of trolls, chased by a rabid giant, and a group of bandits shaking me down just to name a few. I got to the next city and got a cloak and some supplies and I rushed to Agartha. I had heard Oroboros was hiring and I knew I had a marketable skill. Hoping this company will let me spread my wings more than the last I decided to test fate and see what they could offer me.

I left my brother Alwyn, father Orbryn, mother Ellyjoe, and 22 year old son Coosk in Dragonwick. I've framed my leaving the city as if I went missing in action. I don't think I can ever go back to Dragonwick. My family thinks I'm dead I think it is better this way because my other option is being disowned. Especially with my son, I couldn't face him if he found out I lied. We were incredibly close and he was just coming into his adult interests. We would do target practice together, him with his bow and me with my light crossbow. We could spend hours doing it. We even fletched our own arrows and bolts but his were always a bit higher quality than mine. I may assume another identity in the future to check-in on him but I don't expect to speak with him again. His mother fled Dragonwick just after he was born, a short high-elvish woman she was not happy to have birthed a half-gnome half-elf boy and went back to her home. Coosk has taken well to his Elvish side and enjoys nature more than I did when I was younger.

49 years with Dragosense was just too much without them showing any type of appreciation. I can't even count how many times I've kept those imbecile fighter types from death. No tactics, no style, just run in and swing. I'm glad I left, I'm glad I'm attempting something for myself... finally.
Jun 13, 2015 9:47 am
Great stories, guys! I like the party already! :-) You may have noticed my character intro post above has been edited a bunch of times. I thought it better to add to the post whenever I have a new idea rather doing a new short post every time something new occurs to me. Mikelzap's post reminded me that I've not said anything about Fēng's familial ties nor how he joined Ouroboros. Will add those in a bit :-)
Jun 13, 2015 9:55 am
Can't wait to see a finished toon Jabes. I'm going to bed though. it's 4am I don't need to focus on this any longer. TheMightKobold you want to look over my character? I think it is complete but I'm not 100% sure. Will research tomorrow if I want to do the multiclass we talked about but lvl4 and lvl1. See ya!
Jun 14, 2015 5:09 am
Who did you chose for Urki to worship? I really like the story, but I'm hard pressed to come up with a deity that would grant spells to a "cleric for higher" that works as a calligrapher for a "dragon slayer guild". Also...what does that kid look like? Is he a gnomish looking elf or an elfish looking gnome, I wonder. Great details!
Jun 14, 2015 5:18 am
What is the deity situation? Are we using greyhawk, dragonlance, FR, etc? I think a deity may be the reason he is seeking something else. He is having trouble seeing eye to eye with his god so he is having trouble gaining more power/spells.
Jun 14, 2015 6:23 pm
So I think Cassandra is now ready, including cantrips, equipment and spells memorized on the first day of the adventure.

Perhaps I should say I bought a riding horse, partly because I'm so weak (Strength 8), and partly as I thought it makes sense if we're going to the mountains, and partly because I needed to spend the starting money somehow when druids can't use metal armor!

I also did her background-based descriptors, using three from the book and two of my own.

Personality
My friends know they can rely on me, no matter what.
My language is as foul as an otyugh nest.

Ideal
Life and death are part of one whole. The shark eats the smaller fish, but neither are evil or good.

Bond
Some of my fellow pirates were on shore when our ship was taken. They got away and still consider me a member of their crew.

Flaw
I follow orders, even if I think they're wrong.
Last edited June 15, 2015 3:27 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.