Adventure Thread - Atarin's Delve

Jun 9, 2015 11:16 pm
You have always had issue with the prospect of a 'normal' life. Ever since you were a child your curiosity and fearlessness have driven you to seek out a different sort of life. This didn't always sit right with your family and community, so for one reason or another, you've chosen to set out on your own. You've grown in your formative years, learning the ways of the sword, the bow, divine or arcane arts.

The Freelands, a loosely governed nation born from a revolt against a corrupt empire, has seen nearly 60 years of peace. Still, in the dark areas between the tilled fields, small villages and large trading towns, the forces of darkness still threaten those who live or walk too close to the fringes.

You have taken to the road to seek your fortune, along the way you've met up with a small handful of like-minded souls. You've found yourself in the lakeside city of Praern, upon Lough Derg, or the Loch as the locals call it. Known for it's fried fish, Praern is a multicultural city where the tough men of the cold wastes, the fur-clad elves of the Hynrur, dwarves from the Shimmer Mountains and Freelanders from the south merge to trade. Surrounded by many wild and untamed areas where bands of goblin, orc and trolls come down from their mountain caves to raid and dotted with haunted ruins of Gorman design; Praern is a safe place where adventurous young men and women can find work.

It's early morning, the fishermen are returning with their daily catch from the Loch. With your pockets empty and you make your way to the town square where you've heard work can be found. Other than barrels of smoked fish, however, you find nothing. About the time you think you may have to find your next meal from a wastebin, a doughy man rolls a cart out into the square. On the cart are piles and piles of warm pastries, steaming in the cool air. A large pot of steaming tea shines in the growing sunlight.

When a suitable crowd gathers he raises a banner. "Adventurer's Guild - Now accepting new members". He then turns to the crowd.
Jun 10, 2015 12:10 am
Ah, finally, some employment! This dry spell of bad luck has lasted long enough. If this keeps up, I won't make it 'till the end of the week! Hmm, it would do all those fair maidens no good should a man as handsome as myself were to die of hunger in the ditch like a lowly vagrant! Let,s see what sort of job they'll have for a man of panache and wit such as myself...

With this, Esteber makes his way to the square...
Last edited June 10, 2015 2:51 pm
Jun 10, 2015 11:15 am
Slae raises an eyebrow his face dark and brooding, then again when isn't the spikey haired wild elf dark and brooding. He is about to verbally abuse his human compatriot yet again when his stomach grumbles and gurgles. Looking down Slae frowns, sinches his robe together at the neck in a move tinged with annoyance and a bit of desperation and slowly lumbers toward the inviting sweets and tea.
Jun 10, 2015 11:44 am
Herja stands in the crowd and feels an uncharacteristic hesitation. She adventures to prove herself, not to grub for food! And yet she is hungry beyond belief. Neither her warpaint nor her perpetual scowl does anything to hide her beauty, which she has come to regard as a weakness. Many a street tough, mountain bandit lord or so-called adventurer has underestimated her, and paid dearly. Still, it irks her. Like that preening peacock of a man strutting up to the food cart. Herja's stomach grumbles again, and she feels faint. She sighs, and shrugs her shield onto her back. She puts on her haughtiest face and, taking care to keep her eyes on the recruiter and not the food, steps forward.
Jun 10, 2015 11:58 am
When about a dozen people have gathered in front of the cart the clerk begins his speech. "Brave warriors, wise wizards, eagle-eyed scouts ... Why waste your time guarding warehouses of fish?

Join the Adventurer's Guild today. The Guild wants to connect you to those who need your abilities, Allowing you to seek the fame and fortune you deserve! With a nominal percentage paid, you will be able to find adventure across the Freelands! " he exclaims, making gestures wildly. "And today ONLY membership processing fees will be waved!

A 10 crown savings -... your hard earned money STAYS in your pockets. Not only that, those of you who agree to join today will enjoy 10 guilder tokens, which can be spent like gold at the blacksmith, weapon, armor and magic shops around town! All of this for a mere 10% share of your found treasure. Anytime you can't find adventure, let us find it for you!

So, if you're interested, come have a roll, some tea and make your mark upon the roster. I have adventures awaiting you today!
Jun 10, 2015 2:56 pm
This all sounds too good to be true my dear friend. Esteber shouts above the crowd so the man can hear. And when it does sound too good to be true, it usually is. So tell me, what is the catch?
Jun 10, 2015 3:21 pm
"There is no catch, brave warrior. Not only will the Guild lead you to fortune and new opportunities, we will protect you! As a member of the guild you are allowed to travel freely without suffering adventurer's tax when you go through fifedoms or realms that make enterprising peoples such as yourself pay for doing what you do best."

"in return, along with the small tithe of your findings, you only need to uphold the values of the guild. No pillaging or highwayman type behavior. You are not a bandit after all, but an adventurer!" With that he pours a mug of tea and hands you one of the biggest sticky buns you've ever seen, dripping in buttery sweet frosting. "For a warrior's appetite!" he smiles.
Jun 10, 2015 3:32 pm
Well, I guess I can always give it a try. I assume that if I end up not finding the guild to my liking, I can easily quit, or is there some sort of severance fee I'll need to pay? Esteber grabs a bun and takes a bit out of it, smiling at it's sweet buttery taste. My compliments to the chef!
Last edited June 10, 2015 3:32 pm
Jun 10, 2015 3:46 pm
You can end our agreement at any time, but you won't want to. Step inside!" he smiles, pointing to the Adventurer's Guild building. "ONE BRAVE WARRIOR OFF ON ADVENTURE! Is there no one else?"
Jun 10, 2015 4:19 pm
Bartholemew rubbed his chin as he wandered down the street. Why did they have to get so upset? All I did was suggest that there was no way they'd best me in a bare-knuckle boxing match. Had there been a few more of them it might have been fair scrap...

Shaking the thought from his head, Bart approached the town square. He stood, appraising the growing crowd. He stood tall, his three day beard marking him as some kind of scruffy low life, though his blackened leather armour and the sword at his hip suggested otherwise.

Free rolls, eh? Money for adventuring? Sounds easy enough, Bart thought to himself.

"Hey crier! Got any ale on that cart? I'll take one of those rolls too." Bart holds up his hand as if expecting the clerk to toss the roll the 20 odd feet away to where Bart is standing.

"I think I can get behind a spot of adventuring! The temporary guild coins sound useful as well"
Jun 10, 2015 4:31 pm
"Another brave warrior joins the guild!" the scribe announces, tossing you a roll. "No ale here, but your guilder tokens work at the bars and inns too, if you wish. Please step inside" he smiles
Jun 10, 2015 4:32 pm
The scribe looks at Herja "Young lady...you look as strong as these men...but I think you are something more... Are you interested in joining?"
Jun 10, 2015 5:07 pm
"'Pay a tithe or else you will be taxed! And no banditry, because we've got that covered too!'" Herja scoffs. "I suppose that if I say now that I am uninterested and walk away, not only will I be taxed, I will also be set upon by highwaymen that have conveniently slipped through your so-called protection. The tribal elders were wrong when they said that city folk are all sheep; I see now that some are wolves!"

"I'll take your bait, wolf. But know that I am no sheep: I bite back." Hand on the axe slung at her side, Herja joins the rest, but is too proud to accept the offered buns nor the tea.
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:10 pm
Jun 10, 2015 5:15 pm
My, what do we have here? Well hello there milady, I am Esteber Palmelia, swashbuckler extraordinaire at your service. Putting on his best smile, he does a large curtsy bow, then grab Herja's hand and kisses it. I am honoured to be in the presence of such breathtaking beauty. May I inquire about your name milady?

(OOC: Yes, I know Esteber will get punched... :P )
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:16 pm
Jun 10, 2015 5:24 pm
"Feisty! Step inside miss. the scribe smiles as he points the way to the guild hall.

Some of you enjoy the sweet rolls and warm drink. "Welcome to the Adventurer's Guild, step inside with me and I'll show you what I have for you" he opens the door and motions you inside. He closes the door behind you and you hear the crowd descend upon the sweets cart and liberate the remaining contents and scatter.

The simple room before you features a large oak table and several simple stools around it. A large desk, like that of a magistrate is against the far wall. The scribe goes behind the desk and retrieves a scroll. He steps over to the table and lays out a map, holding it down with your mugs.

(See map in map case)

"As you know the guild receives requests from merchants and other interested parties who wish to hire capable men and women like yourselves. We have a request just in from an esteemed archaeologist named Jerol Atarin. He is at a dig site by the Loch, the northern shore here between Praern and Baram" he states, pointing at the map.

"Atarin has decided to hire a few adventurers to protect his team after he received some veiled threats from unknown sources. We perceive the threat minimal, as this is a safe area with rustic charm - off the 'beaten track' as they say and nearby the summer mansions of several wealthy merchant families. A perfect first assignment for new members like YOU!" he smiles. Atarin has agreed to pay 10 gold each per week for your services until he deems the protection no longer required.

As you know, the guild helps you and you help the guild, which applies a 10% fee to this pay. Upon your return you should pay the guild a meager gold piece per week worked with a signed letter from Atarin stating the number of weeks you were on the job.

As you are hired for protection, and this is an archaeological dig, you are probably not allowed to claim valuables found at the site. You can work all that out with Mr Atarin upon meeting him."

He smiles, sips his tea and asks "Any questions?"
Jun 10, 2015 5:30 pm
Of what nature were the veiled threats?
Jun 10, 2015 5:37 pm
"When do we get our guild coins?! There's a beautiful big sword at the blacksmith's I was eyeing" Bartholemew says with an excited grin.

"Some dried up archeo-whatevers can keep their boring artifacts. Maybe we can milk this trip to several weeks. Everybody wins!"
Jun 10, 2015 5:37 pm
Herja jerks back the hand that Esteber kissed, balls it into a fist, and puts it back to Esteber's mouth.

[OOC: Do I roll MAT? Hahah! Whoa, my screen didn't refresh, didn't know there were already new posts up after Esteber.]
Last edited June 10, 2015 5:39 pm
Jun 10, 2015 5:46 pm
If you wish to dice a fistfight, feel free

MAT with a OD of +5 unless you are an unarmed master

Otherwise

The scribe looks at Esteber and says "Atarin didn't provide details in his request...but it was enough of a worry that he wishes to have body guards"

He turns to Bart and smiles..."Very good!" he reaches into a pouch at his side and produces a stack of what appear to be steel coins. "These are Guild Credits, tokens for which you can receive an advance in order to purchase equipment, weapons and armor or provisions for your journey. You can use these at Bergmann's across the street. Your first 10 tokens are on the house. Any others will be deducted from your pay. You will receive your pay for protecting Atarin from the Guild. How many would you like, warrior?"
Jun 10, 2015 6:01 pm
[OOC: As much as I as a player hate to break the flow of the story, Herja just cannot let this go....but she misses :-P]
Last edited June 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Rolls

Punching Estebar immediately after the kiss... [MAT=11, OD=13+5] - (1d20)

(15) = 15

load next

Thread locked