Rules Arbitration

Jun 15, 2015 9:43 pm
If you have a rules question or dispute, put it here and I will respond when possible.
Jun 16, 2015 10:26 am
1. Are we doing the standard alignments?

2. Apologies, I've never played (or been in party with) a monk before. It looks like I can potentially make 5 attacks when I take the Attack action: 2 weapon strikes (spend 1 ki to make one a Stunning Strike), bonus unarmed strike, and then spend ki for a Flurry of Blows (2 more unarmed strikes)

3. What about hitting opponents with a grapple, hoisting them 60ft into the air and dropping them? Legal? Nothing in RAW against it but I know that some GM's disallow it. But I am actually contemplating making it so Fēng's monastic order considers such tactics as dishonorable.
Jun 16, 2015 2:47 pm
1) You can be whatever alignment you so choose. Usually I say no evil alignments (because you all should be heroes) and no CN (because most people use that as an excuse to do whatever they want) but really, you all seem mature gamers so I'm not going to tell you what you can and cannot do. Just don't be a dick and everything should be ok.

2) Actually, you only get one bonus action so you can either take a free attack for three attacks in a turn or spend a ki point to do flurry as a bonus action and get four attacks. There is no limit on the amount of stunning strikes you can do in a turn except your total ki pool (i.e. you can use stunning strike every time you hit with an attack).

3) A grappling action replaces one of the attacks during your Attack action and is an Athletics check vs targets Athletics or Acrobatics (i.e. it is not an attack roll). The creature being grappled has the Grappled condition; the grappler does not. Once you have grappled someone, you can move them with you but your movement speed is halved (so you would only be able to fly up with them 30ft for 3d6 falling damage) unless they are two or more sizes smaller than you (so Tiny or Diminutive in this case).

Ever type a word so much it loses meaning and becomes weird? Grapple . . . what's up with that.
Jun 16, 2015 2:51 pm
themightykobold says:
Ever type a word so much it loses meaning and becomes weird? Grapple . . . what's up with that.
Haha! Yeah, happens to me too :-D

Thanks for the rules clarifications. My mistake was overlooking the part where it says Flurry is a bonus action.
Jun 17, 2015 3:15 am
I'm playing CN, but I won't be that guy who does whatever he wants. I am looking to play out a redemption story most likely. If noting else Kildrak will see the party as a potential political tool for his endeavors.
Jun 17, 2015 6:18 am
foolsmask says:
I'm playing CN, but I won't be that guy who does whatever he wants. I am looking to play out a redemption story most likely. If noting else Kildrak will see the party as a potential political tool for his endeavors.
I play CN as well, but more along the lines of a lawless person who doesn't really fall into the good or evil category. Occasionally does acts of both in achieving goals, generally within a self(or tribe) defined warrior code. When I play ruthless mercenary characters I usually label them CN.
Jun 17, 2015 11:09 am
I guess my real question is do we have to put our alignment on the charsheet or is it enough that we roleplay our character to the best of our ability? Diff GM's have diff opinions on this. Just checking :-)

Oh and update on the grab-and-drop-from-a-height technique: the Order of the Golden Talon has nothing against it.
Last edited June 17, 2015 11:12 am
Jun 17, 2015 1:35 pm
I had noticed the two of you were and figured it would be fine. I usually go to this site to help guide my CN actions. Also, I am usually playing with highschoolers or younger. If there be high schoolers on here, I'd just as soon not know.

And yes, I would note your alignment on your character sheet.
Jun 18, 2015 1:21 pm
I'll answer mikelzap's question here. Yes, attacking from a hidden position grants advantage on the attack roll against those from whom you are hidden.
Jun 19, 2015 4:34 pm
Didn't know where to put this: I will be away for a couple of days and unable to post. Thanks!
Jun 20, 2015 7:04 am
How are we handling critical hits and damage? It's supposed to be doubling the base dice rolled. I think we just quickly add a second post with "critical damage" and we roll another die. Like for my crossbow I roll a 1d8+3 if crit I make a second post with 1d8 rolling. I figure this is something we should figure out before it happens.
Jun 20, 2015 11:47 am
I think a quick edit with the necessary extra damage dice wouldbe sufficient. Also, your sneak attack damage would double on a crit if it applied.
Jun 21, 2015 3:18 pm
Hi! I'm back from my trip and anxious to get back to the adventure :-)
Jun 21, 2015 4:30 pm
Jabes, be sure to add +4 damage per attack when you roll in the future. Since you attack with dex, you add dex to damage.
Jun 21, 2015 4:31 pm
themightykobold says:
Jabes, be sure to add +4 damage per attack when you roll in the future. Since you attack with dex, you add dex to damage.
*facepalm* D'oh! Ok, got it. So sorry! :-D
Jun 23, 2015 6:27 pm
I'm back at max health I tried to roll a 1d8+3+3 to show life domain but it doesn't allow to break up modifiers I guess. Will just do 1d8+6 next time.
Jun 23, 2015 8:38 pm
Sounds good.
Jun 26, 2015 12:03 pm
This is the second time initiative has come into the conversation. I figured it was easier, because of everyone's varied schedules and the forum style play, to use an initiave variant that is as simple as "Heroes turn - Monsters turn". That way combat can be more organic and not have to wait on single players to get to their computer, slowing us down to a halt. Basically, once the monsters have taken their turn, it resets and anyone can act once again.
Jun 26, 2015 1:21 pm
Also, Mikelzap, you'll have to choose whether you want to cast Shield of Faith and a second cantrip or Inflict Wounds.

PHB p202-
Quote:
B o n u s A c t io n
A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time o f 1 action.
Jun 26, 2015 3:07 pm
themightykobold says:
This is the second time initiative has come into the conversation. I figured it was easier, because of everyone's varied schedules and the forum style play, to use an initiave variant that is as simple as "Heroes turn - Monsters turn". That way combat can be more organic and not have to wait on single players to get to their computer, slowing us down to a halt. Basically, once the monsters have taken their turn, it resets and anyone can act once again.
I think this works extremely well for PbP :-) I've seen some other things attempted in other games but for me because of the nature of PbP this works best even though it does render some features & feats useless.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.