New Media Discussion Policy: Looking for feedback

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 26, 2017 5:25 am
So having just saw Thor Ragnarok, I want to talk about it. I also know it's not fair to people who haven't yet seen it for whatever reason, even if that's just personal choice. I avoid spoilery talk IRL for at least a few weeks after something comes out. However, I also consider 6 months after something is out to be fair to talk about it. At that point, people have had the opportunity to check it out, and if they choose not to, can't hold out forever!

So my proposed policy for discussions on the site relating to any sort of media, be it moves, TV shows, books, etc:

- <4 weeks since release: Only general threads, talking about it's release, general, public, easily found information, no spoilers of any kind. No thread title requirements
- 4 weeks to 6 months since release: Discussion threads are fine, with a title requirement of '[Spoilers]` (eg, "[Spoilers] Thor Ragnarok").
- Post 6 months since release: Any threads, no title requirements.

Thoughts?
Nov 26, 2017 4:45 pm
That makes a lot of sense. I think we've got a good enough community here that we can be reasonable with one another and not screw up big spoiler type stuff.
Nov 26, 2017 6:13 pm
I've already read World War Hulk, so I know like 90% of the plot of that movie...
Nov 27, 2017 4:25 am
I'd love to discuss specifics in that first 4 week period. That's when I'm most excited about it! Why not just enforce the [Spoilers] tag on all discussion threads until 6 months after release?
Nov 27, 2017 4:09 pm
Shark_Bone says:
I'd love to discuss specifics in that first 4 week period. That's when I'm most excited about it! Why not just enforce the [Spoilers] tag on all discussion threads until 6 months after release?
This was my first thought, figured I'd make the initial proposal more conservative. I'm ok with <6 months requiring a spoiler tag if anything not publicly available is mentioned.
Nov 27, 2017 4:28 pm
Agreed. No reason those that have seen it can't talk about it. Get those [SPOILERS] tag on it though. I can't afford realise dy ticket for the whole family so we wait for it to hit the Temeku(A discount theater, $3.75 a ticket) to habe them a couple months later.
Nov 30, 2017 3:41 am
Yeah, there are quite a few things that we wait to rent from Redbox, too.

But, you better believe we're going to see the new Star Wars when it comes out! And I'm sure I'll be itching to talk about it with peeps.
Nov 30, 2017 3:43 am
I'd say that things could be discussed right away, as long as they have a [SPOILER] tag in the thread title
Nov 30, 2017 5:19 am
I'm with Naat. Totally cool for people to be up-front with spoiler tags. I'll avoid 'em if I care to.
Dec 2, 2017 11:18 pm
I added to the rules. < 6 months requires spoilers tag, >= 6 months does not.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.