Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Dec 12, 2015 2:50 pm
More frightened than I can ever remember being, I retreat away from the creatures, staying close to the others if possible. Strength in numbers and all.

Rolls

Save vs fear - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Dec 12, 2015 6:17 pm
The ghosts both rise from their chairs, travelling towards you at speed. Ghost B flies towards Balder, her feet passing directly through the back of the chair as she ascends upwards, and declines back down to launch an icy hand into your chest.

The other ghost continues to assault Grizel from the cover of the chair.

Rolls

ghost a > corrupting touch > Grizel - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

ghost b > corrupting touch > Baldur - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Grizel necrotic damage - (3d6+2)

(643) + 2 = 15

Dec 12, 2015 6:20 pm
Round 3
Lighting: bright 20ft from balder. Dim 20ft outside of that. Darkness beyond that.

Frightened individuals repeat their WIS save at the end of every round, but at disadvantage if there is line of sight with the ghost. If you succeed, the effect ends and you become immune for 24h.

Victor (18): Temporary DMPC: firebolt
Mardak (16): battle bardic inspiration 1d6, opening secret door and investigating the mechanism.
Grizel (13): attacking, and reasoning with, the ghosts
Zinnarath (12): Frightened, retreating down stairs.
Faelor (12): Frightened
Ireena (10): entering secret door
Undead (8) (a): un-undead. (b): uninjured and very frightening
Balder (4): Frightened, hiding in secret room

Rolls

Victor firebolt ghost A - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Damage - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Dec 13, 2015 4:33 am
Mardak enters with Ireena.The aroma of grease and well-oiled wood fills your nostrils as you enter the room. The entire room is filled with intricate machinery. There are small passages between the gears and pulleys. Behind all the machinery, a cold shaft rises up from the darkness and continues past the room.

This deep shaft smells of well-oiled wood. There is a large wooden screw along the east wall, and another along the west wall.
Dec 13, 2015 6:16 pm
During my turn I will search around the room for any switches, levers, or other clues as to how to use all the gear within this room. (Roll Investigate)

I state to my fellow adventurers, "This could be a dead end. I am now gnome, but I will do my best to figure out the mysteries of this room. If I cannot find anything quickly, it looks like we will be forced into a desperate fight. Can anyone within this room assist me (this turn)? This could be an escape to salvation, so that we may better examine our goals.

Rolls

Investigate Room for Switches and levers - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Dec 13, 2015 7:40 pm
Looking around the room, you notice that all of the controls are in one similar location. The rest of the machinery looks like it connects together to make some kind of complex system. Levers and simple switches that look like they control the mechanism. Perform a straight up intelligence check (next turn) to attempt to operate it - Mardak may do so at advantage.
Dec 14, 2015 7:06 am
Grizel gasps when the ghostly hand grabs her and a wave of necrosis washes over her. Angrily, she retaliates, her greatsword slashing twice at the apparition in front of her.

As she fights alone, the paladin realizes grimly that they might all die here, and Strahd will live. We can't die t' these ghosts...they're nothing! Strahd is the goal! What was it that Madame Eva said? There are forces for good here...a great weapon...and help t' be found! She'd said, "Knowledge of the ancient may help you understand a foe." The ghost had said twas older'n Strahd! Could th' ghost be of help?

"Hold, restless spirits! HOLD! Our quarrel's with Strahd. If yer not in league with that devil then 'praps lettin' us pass will help ye! What d'ye know 'bout him? Aid us an' I'll spare ye!"

OOC:
Tenets of Vengeance: Fight the Greater Evil. Faced with a choice of fighting my sworn foes or combating a lesser evil. I choose the greater evil.
Last edited December 14, 2015 7:32 am

Rolls

+1 greatsword attack #1 (advantage) - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (3) + 7 = 10

1d20+7 : (13) + 7 = 20

damage - (2d6+5)

(22) + 5 = 9

rolling those two deuces [Great Weapon Fighting] - (2d8+5)

(36) + 5 = 14

misrolled previous! please ignore! rerolling the deuces - (2d6+5)

(65) + 5 = 16

+1 greatsword attack #2 (advantage) - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (4) + 7 = 11

1d20+7 : (11) + 7 = 18

damage - (2d6+5)

(55) + 5 = 15

CON save for magic weapon DC10 - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Dec 14, 2015 9:32 am
As Grizel speaks, the ghost she struck sinks into the chair like a sickly person, then violently expiring like a powerful breath escaping an overinflated chest. The other ghost recoils in shock, utterly confused. "I...I...sIsTeR...ME..."Her confusion seems to be morphing into rage and despair, her horrifying visage growing more twisted and menacing. You feel as if something very bad is about to happen.

(Magic weapon is still active for Grizel after being hit)

Note: Grizel has inspiration, as do Faelor and Zinn. Expend it to gain advantage on a roll, even (immediately) after rolling

Rolls

Faelor save vs fear - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Dec 14, 2015 11:11 am
Still gripped with I instinctively sheathe a rapier, kneel and retrieve my crossbow, and wait around the corner. My hands shaking, my body covered in cold sweat. I take small comfort in the fact that I am not the only one terrified by the spectre.

Rolls

Saving - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Dec 14, 2015 7:08 pm
Balder ducks behind the secret door following the halfling Mardak. Once inside he extinguishes the light spell hoping to hide better.

Rolls

Stealth Check - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Save vs fear - (1d20)

(16) = 16

Dec 14, 2015 11:28 pm
"This maze of metal...cutlery might help us if we knew what it did!"

Ireena steps forward and takes her hand to the levers, using the little light she has from Balder's shield before he ends the spell.
Mardak watches closely as she squeezes a lever downwards, triggering a series of rod and cog movements up the wsll , resulting in a noise of rattling of chains and crashing metal echoing from a distant point down the pitch black shaft, which ends quickly. The mechanism is not really moving as you expected.

This is interrupted by a violent scream, which is more like a wail. The remaining ghost ripples with discordant spiritual energy from deep in her core, releasing a deafening roar of sadness. Everyone feels a piercing pain in their head, but Grizel and Victor are too close for just discomfort. Both drop to 0hp instantly

The creature falls through the stone, weeping and wailing to herself, unlikely to return...for now. 229 experience to all party members

Rolls

Ireena INT check - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Wail - psychic damage - (3d6)

(651) = 12

Con saves - Grizel, Victor - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (8) + 1 = 9

1d20+1 : (11) + 1 = 12

Dec 15, 2015 11:16 am
Grizel is now in darkness and cannot tell what happened, but the creature is unconscious in the chair, her ghostly figure faded and her features smoothed over, like a pool of mist clinging to the mortal realm by a thread.
Dec 15, 2015 5:15 pm
I glance behind myself shakily and whisper, "Well that was quite a painful sound." Wetting my lips tentatively I glance at Balder, Balder, perhaps you can check on those other adventurers, I do not think we will get far without them. Seeing as I can see in the dark, I will continue to attempt to operate this confounded contraption with the lady here?

I also attempt to figure out which levers to pull alongside Ireena.

Intelligence check to operate the contraption, with advantage.

Rolls

Intelligence to operate contraption - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Second roll for INt Check due to advantage - (1d20+1)

(16) + 1 = 17

Dec 15, 2015 6:20 pm
Mardak tries the levers one at a time, being careful to test each one. You quickly find a way to get the mechanism spinning, and the two heavy wooden screws running up the shaft begin to turn and it appears that they are travelling downwards. The deep tunnel to the ground sends up a vibration from deep below.
Dec 16, 2015 8:20 am
Grizel and Victor lie in the darkness, frothing and losing consciousness...

Rolls

Grizel death save - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Victor death save - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Dec 16, 2015 2:46 pm
Sighing in relief, I look at Ireena and ask, "Please watch over this contraption it may be our way to safety, I am going to check on the others. As my master always said, If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.

I then cautiously poke my head out into the hallway, and glance down into the room where the ghosts were. Seeing the two adventurers collapsed on the ground I rush over to the Paladin first, and give here a healing potion. I will attempt to pour it in her mouth or on her wound, which ever is required

Rolls

Healing Potion - (2d4+2)

(14) + 2 = 7

Dec 16, 2015 6:06 pm
After seeing Mardak run to help the adventurers, Balder snaps out of whatever had taken hold of him. He casts a spell to relight his battle axe and runs out to help the downed strangers. Seeing that Mardak is attempting to bring the paladin back, Balder moves to the fallen gnome and quickly casts one of his healing spells.

" I'm not sure what came over me Mardak, but I'm back now. I can take it from here."

(Casting light on my axe and using a bonus action to cast Healing word on Victor).

Rolls

Healing word - (1d4+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Dec 16, 2015 7:08 pm
The sense of dread fades and I stop my retreat. I take a slow, deep, breath then head back up the stairs. I stop when I see the others converging on my fallen allies, but don't interfere when it becomes clear that they are helping. I wait until they are finished before speaking, "I take it you're here to deal with the monster of castle as well?"
Dec 16, 2015 8:33 pm
Grizel opens her eyes to find strangers bending over her. The one in the dark clothes has just given her a healing draught. Grizel sits up. "Thanks." It's a relief to find her friends nearby. Grizel nods to the other stranger bent over Victor, then lays healing hands on the gnome. Then, her jaw set, the paladin walks over to the ghost in the throne.

Grizel uses Lay On Hands to restore 15hp to herself and 10hp to Victor.
Dec 16, 2015 9:16 pm
I nods, I am Mardak Goodbarrel, but perhaps exchanging pleasantries can wait, I say, glancing at the unmoving ghost.

Remembering the beings coming from down the hall I attempt to listen for any sounds of marching feet, or any unusual shapes.

Rolls

Perception down the hallway - (1d20+2)

(11) + 2 = 13

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.