General discussion

Jun 26, 2015 3:16 pm
Thread for non-character discussion, general chat, etc...

I guess I will start by introducing myself. I started playing D&D last year, mainly GMing. I am in the UK, and the gaming community here isn't particularly large. This kind of forum is perfect for me. I have a few campaigns to run (Village of Hommlett, Lost Mines) and this would be a fun place to do it without having to schedule a weekly group. My real-life group are playing Lost Mines (starter set) but I want to try with some other players (preferably experienced ones)

Dom

(perhaps a Charisma check is needed?)
Jun 26, 2015 5:56 pm
Thanks for accepting me!

I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. Been playing rpgs in various shapes and sizes for the past 3 years or so. I've been running a 5e campaign for friends (stareted as lost mine as well).

I love Ravenloft, haven't actually played it, but I was quite inspired after reading the original (I7 or whatever it was) module, I was hoping to run in for Halloween this year, so this should be a lot of fun.
Jun 26, 2015 6:09 pm
So you know a little of what is in store for you all :p NO meta-play!! I'm watching

AS are my pack of 10+ ghouls (random encounters can be the most deadly...)

I assume most of you will be around 5 hours behind me, which doesn't work out too badly
Jun 26, 2015 6:24 pm
Should have specified I didn't read that deeply, only some of the unique early game stuff. And I oggled the maps a bit. It'll be a thorough surprise don't worry. :)
Jun 26, 2015 6:49 pm
Hi I am in Indianapolis, Indiana, and for some reason we use Eastern Standard Time zone so yeah, I'm GMT-5 exactly...or so I'm told by the clock on my computer. I've been a gamer for longer than I'd like to admit, but I'm a nice player, easy to get along with and I'm here for good story and roleplay, not to get the rules right. I can't seem to rustle up a group right now so a play by post 5e is something I'm really interested in.
Jun 26, 2015 7:24 pm
Honestly, I've run this module in the past year. I stripped it down to bare essentials for a con and we got the whole thing done in 5 hours. It was awesome. That said, I know the difference between player knowledge and character knowledge. In any decision where I know something my character doesn't, I'll simply let the rest of the party make the call.
If this really is a problem, I suppose I'll bow out, but I love Ravenloft.
Jun 26, 2015 7:36 pm
Hey all. I am also from Indiana, but a bit father north than Indy. I've been playing D&D since 3rd edition, and play by post games have finally allowed me to play after a few years of not being able to play in person. I was usually the DM so in happy to play and get into character. If I ever meta-game, it's totally by accident. I apologize now just in case.
Jun 26, 2015 9:34 pm
Hi all, nice to meet you. It's 30y old hit so I'm not expecting experienced players to have no knowledge. My newb players found most things by fluke! And you still have to survive the tomb-of-horror level encounters that may occur. The other great thing is that certain aspectschange each time you play...its just such a good module. Best of luck to you all
Jun 26, 2015 10:36 pm
I guess I'll sound off so I'm not the odd one out. I'm from Illinois, west of Chicago in Aurora, home of Wayne from Wayne's World. I've been playing DnD for about 15 years now. Like the new rule set quite a bit. I'm on this site so much all I have to do is hit "g" and it fills in the rest. I have odd hours and I'm bored as hell most days so this fills in some of the gaps. I've always wanted to play in Ravenloft and joined a forum back in the day that I can't remember but it was much more social roleplaying than my character was built for.
Jun 28, 2015 2:01 pm
Whoa! I finally got approved! Now I have catching up reading to do on the threads! Wanted to play an OoV paladin but a quick scan of the character creation thread tells me it's taken.

Glad to be here! Thanks! :-)

By way of introduction, I'm from Manila, Philippines (GMT+8) so I'm going to be the one with the weirdly-timed posts hehe! Besides the time zone difference I also keep odd work hours as I am a chef running my own cake business. We like making geeky cakes. Here's one :-)

I was introduced to D&D almost 30 years ago (AD&D back then) and to this day I still play with the same group of guys, my best friends. We played 3.5E when that came out and spent 10 years on a campaign, skipped 4E, and recently started a 5E campaign. I'm fairly new to PbP, having only discovered GP earlier this year. It's been fun trying out new game systems and character concepts I would never have gotten off the ground in my face-to-face games.

Looking forward to this adventure with you guys! Cheers!
Jun 28, 2015 2:29 pm
Is that the Baron Strahd himself on that cake?
Jun 28, 2015 3:00 pm
Nice to meet you Jabes. AD&D was (sort of) my first intro to tabletop RPGs through the PC game Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. It used AD&D rules so I think that made learning 3rd edition easier when I spotted my best friend sketching a green dragon from the Monster Manual. I was hooked from then on.
Jun 28, 2015 3:08 pm
How does the internet find you people?

Welcome aboard! 1 character approved. 5 to go. You can play what you like - duplicates/variations on a theme are fine. Who knows how long they will live anyway?? (Tbh I'm not that kind of DM. I have never killed a PC yet as 5th edition does a lot for survivability)
Jun 28, 2015 8:11 pm
themightykobold says:
Is that the Baron Strahd himself on that cake?
No, I think it's a homebrew. The cake was made for a DM.
Quote:
The resident here is one Cyris Maximus, General Overlord of the armies of Duvan’Ku. He has been awake and aware for many centuries, but is barred from leaving the tomb… unless someone from the surface invites him.
Speaking of DM's, my current GP avatar is taken from another cake we made that was inspired by the classic D&D TV show :-)
Jun 29, 2015 12:26 pm
I'm definitely looking in next time I'm in Manila.

Also, if you've a mind to do a Paladin, I'm actually cool with making something else. I love making characters, and I feel like it might be time for me to do a caster.
Last edited June 29, 2015 12:29 pm
Jun 29, 2015 7:44 pm
unique_exemplar says:
Nice to meet you Jabes. AD&D was (sort of) my first intro to tabletop RPGs through the PC game Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. It used AD&D rules so I think that made learning 3rd edition easier when I spotted my best friend sketching a green dragon from the Monster Manual. I was hooked from then on.
Didn't get a chance to play Baldur's Gate but I hear that was an excellent series of games! I did play Neverwinter Nights a lot when that came out :-)
Grazzt says:
I'm definitely looking in next time I'm in Manila.

Also, if you've a mind to do a Paladin, I'm actually cool with making something else. I love making characters, and I feel like it might be time for me to do a caster.
Yeah definitely let me know if you're going to be in town! :-)

I'm not married to the idea of playing a paladin. It's just that I'm currently playing pretty much every other class in other games hehe! If you've got a concept already then go for it! I love making characters too but I confess I haven't had much time yet to give character creation for this particular game much thought. Real life, you know? In a couple of days I hope to be able to give it my attention. If paladin is still open then, I'll take it. Otherwise it's cool, I'll come up with something else :-)
Jun 29, 2015 8:21 pm
4 chars in, 2 to go :)
Jun 30, 2015 12:27 pm
Jabes, go for the paladin, then... I've played one already. I'll try something else.
Jul 2, 2015 1:40 am
OK..So I just remembered something about Ravenloft that I don't think has been touched on yet. It seems we are headed into Barovia but not in it (Sorry i havent taken the time to look at a map). So this strikes me as important, in the past iterations Barovia was seperated by magical mists that only the Vista I could cross without the permission of the ruler (Lord Strhad, Lord Soth, etc.) But that hasn't been brought up.

No one has mentioned being Vistani except in reference to the messenger. I'm fine with changes, make it your world if you want, I'm just curious if that is in fact we should have realized being from Ravenloft. Or if our characters aren't supposed to know that, that's cool. I just need a little clarification.
Jul 2, 2015 1:42 am
Or if I've just missed reading the relevant details somehow. That's happened before.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.