Welcome/game help/general chat

Jul 5, 2015 6:43 pm
Hi, you can introduce yourself here if you are new to D&D or GP, want to ask questions about the game, or just want to say hi.
Jul 5, 2015 11:32 pm
Hi Guys,
I am a long time D&D player, still new to play by post, I haven't done much on GP yet, but really looking forward to giving it a go. So far I am loving 5e and I am keen to see how ToEE shapes up in 5e
Jul 6, 2015 4:07 am
Will we be using spell slots or spell points variant (dmg)?
Jul 6, 2015 6:45 am
Hello, I'm also a long time (A)D&D player, I've GMed Phandelver face-to-face and am playing four other games on GP, including a 5e game. I've been on GP for 6 weeks, which is my first experience of PbP. While not being a hardcore OSR person, I do enjoy older versions of D&D, and the idea of playing an old school module with 5e rules makes me very happy.
Jul 6, 2015 10:51 am
Spell slots. The only optional rule I use is flanking (as well as the other generally accepted ones like feats). And hi to everyone. I'm a new gamer and I certainly welcome old-school players. There's a lot to learn from those old modules as a DM and they are more fun to read especially if you have an evil streak. I'm liking PbP so far
Jul 7, 2015 11:42 am
Hi. I've been into D&D since the Red Box. Stuck with BECMI until 5e. Have done PbP on some other sites, but am new to GP. Never played or ran this module before.
Jul 7, 2015 11:49 am
Eh, how did you miss ToEE? It's cool to have a bunch of retro gamers onboard. Anyone played this before? I have no idea how it's going to go. Looks heavy after the early stages
Jul 7, 2015 11:51 am
Since I stuck with BECMI until recently, I avoided much of the AD&D line from back then. Mostly campaigned in Mystara. Adding those classics to my collection now, but haven't managed to get that one yet.
Jul 7, 2015 11:53 am
Are we supposed to get emails when there are posts, or do we have to just remember to check the forums? I had trouble registering even. Never got my activation email. So that's why I'm asking.

Edit: Nevermind. Emails just started coming in.
Last edited July 7, 2015 11:57 am
Jul 7, 2015 11:58 am
Subscribe to thread or forum and you will get emails. I turned mine off as I'm in 4 games. I had the same activation problem. Let Keleth know and he will sort it
Jul 7, 2015 2:29 pm
Hail and well met fellow adventurers. Also an old gamer. Started at the tale end of 2nd ed, but really got into 3rd ed. and on. I have never played through ToEE.
Jul 7, 2015 2:45 pm
I'm a young gamer, 27, got my start with 1e when I was in high school (never did any modules), transitioned to Pathfinder after about 7 years, and last year moved on to 5e. Very happy with it so far.
Jul 8, 2015 3:08 am
Yeah, I have played in ToEE before. Once back in the late 80's with the AD&D group I played with in High School and once in the Mid 90's as a 2nd Ed (2.5 really) game. I have some vague memories of stuff in the module, but nothing specific. I know I had fun both times I played in it. Looking forward to giving it a go in 5e

I had mostly played D&D until 4e came out. I switched to Pathfinder then but also played a bunch of other different games (Savage worlds, World of Darkness, Firefly, Star War, L5R among others). Recently converted back to D&D with 5e, I am loving the new game
Last edited July 8, 2015 3:09 am
Jul 9, 2015 2:10 am
When is the game actually gonna start? And what are the rules of play?
Jul 9, 2015 2:55 pm
Hi, we're just waiting for mrvain to upload his character. I started the game in the main thread earlier, so post as you wish. The beginning is free-form so you can post with your preferred frequency and splitting the party is also a viable option. The people in the village are going about their daily lives and so you can freely look around the village. As soon as I have the remaining 4 avatar's we'll have visuals of the map.

I've run my other game like this: for combat, I will roll initiative for everyone and set the turn order. (of course, if you initiate combat and/or I haven't posted initiative, feel free to roll your own. Players can post their next turn early or wait for their turn to post, and I will execute actions in the initiative order whenever the poster is ready. You can make attack rolls as you see fit, for example editing your post to add in damage rolls or expanding on your actions in your turn etc.

By all means make skill rolls if you think they are relevant.

The game is posted once/day on average. If you're missing for a few days you can leave instructions etc. but otherwise you'll be missing out!

Let me know if there's anything I've missed out or if you have any thoughts
Jul 10, 2015 5:43 am
All sounds cool. It's Friday arvo my time. I will post the character and avatar tonight. Is it OK if I just grab a random image of google
Jul 10, 2015 11:13 am
Yeah I'm not expecting fresh draws, just something to identify you
Jul 11, 2015 4:16 pm
Are we using this thread for rules questions?

It seems that my paladin's Divine Sense might be quite useful in the Hommlet part of this campaign, as I am able to:
Quote:
know the location of any celestial, fiend or undead within 60 feet of you that is not behind total cover.
I'd like to know how to best imagine this feature working. Do I just focus my attention, and then sense, or does it require a more obvious ritual or so on, which would make it something I should be careful about using in public?

If I get to choose, I would like it to be a sort of communion with the forest spirits, which requires a few seconds of concentration, and maybe has some barely perceptible signs of functioning (like my eyes turning leaf-green for a second), but without overt gesticulations etc, so I could for example use it in the Inn without attracting too much attention.
Jul 11, 2015 6:00 pm
It requires an action, so you'd assume it takes a short bout of obvious concentration, which could be done discreetly, or you can flavour it. It doesn't provide a lot of information or have a powerful effect really. Will think about how to implement it to fit the ancients thing
Jul 12, 2015 6:06 pm
Ok, thanks. Yes, it's not as useful as good old "Detect Evil", eh? Still not sure what I think about D&D 5e getting rid of alignment from spells etc, but let's see how it plays out.

One other thing - for some reason your embedded pictures aren't displaying in your posts in my browser. I can get them by pasting the link into another tab, but if other people are having the same problem, perhaps we should tell Keleth?

Edit: Oh, and the screenshots are awesome! What tool are you using?
Last edited July 12, 2015 6:08 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.