Firefly RPG

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 8, 2015 2:43 am
I recently picked up the PDF and ran a quick one-shot for my local friends and I enjoyed it a lot. I think there are quite a few fun times to be had with the game. I'm toying with the idea of running a game here.

I think the story I'm most interested in is a group of Browncoats trying to stir up the embers of rebellion against the Alliance. Their efforts may be doomed to failure, but they are true believers and will risk anything for the freedom they crave.

Does that sound interesting to anyone?
Jul 8, 2015 2:50 am
Anything Firefly sounds interesting to me, I have played it a few times at a convention here in Sydney, but the idea of stirring up a rebellion sounds really cool. Can anyone say "Reaver Monkeys"? ;-)
Jul 8, 2015 3:03 am
Never played it but would love to try.
Jul 8, 2015 5:16 am
Yes. I would play that.
Jul 8, 2015 7:56 am
We aim to misbehave! Never played, but sounds shiny! Count me in! :-)
Jul 8, 2015 1:58 pm
Wow. That was a lot of interest very fast.
Jul 8, 2015 2:11 pm
Ironic huh? ;-)
It's a great setting to roleplay in. So much to do and so much cultural flavour. I will look at getting the pdf. I have the old rpg but i have only played a one shot house ruled version of the new one
Jul 8, 2015 2:17 pm
I know the Firefly RPG is pretty popular now, being new and all. I was thinking that the story I'm interested in is a bit different than what is typical and that might make people shy off. But, Browncoats must be awesome.
Jul 8, 2015 2:24 pm
That, they most definitely are
Jul 8, 2015 2:33 pm
I'm interested too. And isn't being rebels against an oppressive empire what space opera is all about?

Is everyone going to kill me now for suggesting Firefly is space opera?!
Jul 8, 2015 2:46 pm
No. It is space opera. Just an unusual flavor.
Jul 8, 2015 3:08 pm
I agree that Firefly is space opera light...or something along those lines. It plays out on a much smaller scale than what I would usually consider common for space opera. There are high stakes for a few people rather than "all of humanity" that many stories of the genre go for. As a real world example I would point to the modern Battlestar: Galactica series as a (more?) typical space opera story.
Jul 8, 2015 3:47 pm
If you're gonna push a game forward, I can look at making that the next system I add; I'll just need to learn how the character sheet works.
Jul 8, 2015 5:11 pm
Just to check - we're talking about the Margaret Weis Firefly game? Want to make sure before I start dropping coin!

Edit: If it is, would this freely-downloadable interactive character sheet start to answer your questions, Keleth?

Edit having looked at the sheet myself: Looks like you would be at least half way there with a Savage Worlds sheet as a basis...
Last edited July 8, 2015 5:23 pm
Jul 8, 2015 8:18 pm
Yep, that's the game. And, wouldn't you know, the price has gone down since I bought it a week and a half ago! Lol.

I think there are a lot of similarities between Star Wars (which is what most people think of when you say Space Opera) and Firefly. A ship crew flies between different worlds, having adventures. The distance between those worlds matters little to the story.
Jul 9, 2015 1:40 pm
That makes sense, foolsmask and Shark_Bone, what you say about space opera.

I'm really looking forward to the possibility of this game. I keep finding myself singing the Firefly theme tune. "You can't take the sky from me..." :-)
Jul 9, 2015 2:13 pm
I would consider Firefly a space western, not a space opera. It's not grandiose, not galaxy-shaking. It's personal, it's wild, it's untamed.

It's a spaghetti western with a spaceship instead of a covered wagon.
Jul 9, 2015 2:20 pm
I'm excited to run this. I'll just need a few days to get some notes down and time to create the game, etc.
Jul 10, 2015 5:39 am
Awesome, I will keep an eye out for the game
Sep 4, 2015 2:06 am
Oh, this is another corebook I have the PDF for I have been meaning to get to.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.