Getting a Feel for Play by Post

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 26, 2015 3:35 pm
Hey guys, just a side thread for any constructive criticism on the game. What do we think of how I'm running combat? Is it too long? Too confusing? Do we want to organize a little and revert combats to be done over Roll20? Tell me what you think! Don't be afraid to hurt my feelings because this is my first Play by Post and I know it's not gonna be perfect for everyone.
Jul 26, 2015 4:56 pm
I really like your giant escalation dice graphic. PbP combat is always drawn out when it is procedurally faithful to the game. As someone who is interested in learning the 13th Age, I'm glad that you're using the actual mechanics rather than a simplification for expediency.
Jul 26, 2015 5:44 pm
I think things are going along nicely. Keep doing what you're doing.

Like Qralloq, this is my first go at the system, so the more you stay true to the rules, the better for me.
Jul 26, 2015 6:45 pm
Yup! I'm definitely following it to the T right now. Personally, I don't like fudging combat rules unless the player is trying to do something creative that the rules don't clearly spell out so that you definitely don't have to worry about.
Jul 26, 2015 6:54 pm
Combat seems to be going as quick as everyone is posting, so no major complaints here. Personally, I'd like to see your die results (some 13A feats/abilities trigger off GM's natural rolls) or know the monster's AC,PD,MD,HP stats (or at least when they're staggered, etc), but every GM runs things differently and I'm content if you'd rather keep it hidden.

I was a bit confused when the travel montage was interrupted by a combat scene but am looking forward to how things will play out! :D

You're doing a great job. Keep it up!
Jul 26, 2015 9:49 pm
I'm a little old school when it comes to keeping stats hidden and stuff, i usually reveal them when things are getting close to the end just to speed things along. However, if you have powers/abilities that trigger on enemy stats/rolls, please just ask and it'll become public knowledge. Obviously the game designers intended a bit of openness between the players and GM, which I personally think is great, but only when needed/relevant. Thanks for having such creative and original characters and keeping this game interesting thus far! I'm making mostly all of this up as I go and so far, it's been more interesting than I could've ever hoped.
Jul 26, 2015 11:58 pm
No criticisms or complaints here. I too appreciate you staying true the mechanics in combat. Doesn't seem drawn out at all. PbP is what it is and I think anyone getting involved in one understands, or should at least, that it's going to be somewhat drawn out. Great job. I'm having a lot of fun.
Aug 21, 2015 4:38 am
RL has gotten crazy hectic these past few weeks - I'll get my post up in the next couple of days (Fri or Sat)
Sep 13, 2015 5:21 pm
What's the current situation then. It's Apró's turn, but I'm unsure of where the rats are at this point.
Sep 14, 2015 12:38 pm
Apró is diwn, correct? That means you're bot engaged. There's a wererat fighting Binleeargo and another fightin Bog. You are nearby the one to Binleeargo but you need to death save in order to get up.
Sep 14, 2015 12:48 pm
Apró passed his save last turn. He is prone and has 5HP. Should be able to act now, yes?
Sep 18, 2015 11:41 pm
next turn. you only rolled 5 hp with your recovery?! so the way death saves work is it has to be a 16+, then you can roll a recovery, ignore any negative hp and just add from 0. negative hp is only to track how close you are to dying. if you roll a natural 20 on a death save, you can spend a recovery, get up and take your turn as normal all in one fell swoop.
Sep 18, 2015 11:50 pm
He rolled an 18 on his last recovery and then a 6 for his recovery roll (I added from -1, I'll fix that) and then everyone went, so, he's good to go, prone, and unengaged. I'll have him take his action here in a few.
Last edited September 18, 2015 11:52 pm
Sep 18, 2015 11:57 pm
You're full already! That's super awesome, have fun!
Sep 19, 2015 1:02 am
hey man, no such luck on gathering power. takes a standard, you don't have one til next round because you didnt roll nat 20. sorry :/
Sep 19, 2015 1:04 am
I guess I'm confused then. I thought I recovered last round and this is a new round? Either way - if he can't do anything, he'll just continue to lay there until he can.
Sep 19, 2015 10:25 am
nope, you're right. i apologize lol i'm the one who's confused here apprently :P
Oct 3, 2015 4:28 pm
We had been doing this cross country thing where we described complications. Mine turned into the rat combat. Who's next?
Oct 3, 2015 9:10 pm
that would be Tanser
Oct 4, 2015 1:03 am
oh. My bad. I'll get on that. :)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.