Chapter 1, Day 1 Afternoon: Drellen's Ferry

load previous
Aug 21, 2015 3:12 pm
"I came across a band of those myself. Nothing I couldn't handle. How long did you say those brigands have been wreaking havoc around these parts? Weeks? Months?" I continue watching the card game. We have some time to kill, perhaps a game is in order...
Aug 21, 2015 9:02 pm
Zaris sighs gently and rises to his feet. "No, thank you greatly for your time. You've been most helpful." The wizard rises and makes his way to the door and back to join the others at the Inn.
Aug 22, 2015 9:12 pm
Old Bridge Inn

As Xara inquires about the hobgoblins, Zaris and Rurik stroll into the inn and take seats beside Kaiakas. Just as they settle in, a tall balding man of about fifty and a capable-looking swordsman strolls into the inn. Behind him is a strong-bodied woman in heavy armour. Her face betrays no emotions except seriousness. The man glances around the tavern before spotting the trio sitting at the table and he steps up, "Sorry to trouble you, travellers, but I'd like a few minutes of your time," the man says. "My name is Norro Wiston, and I'm the Town Speaker for Drellen's Ferry. This is our guard captain, Soranna. I'll get right to the point: We're in a lot of trouble, and I was hoping I could persuade you to help us out." He gestures towards an empty chair at the table, politely waiting for an invitation to sit.
Aug 24, 2015 12:52 am
Zaris rises again almost as quickly as he sat down and politely points to the empty chair. "By all means, please."
Aug 24, 2015 12:42 pm
Norro sits and gets into the details, "Our town is under attack" he begins. "Hobgoblin raiders have been harrying our lands for several days now. They've attacked and killed people in the outlying homesteads, and they've been waylaying travellers along the Dawn Way."

Captain Soranna, who has remained standing, adds, "We've had some trouble with them before - a quick raid on homesteads on the west side of the river, usually no that bad - but this is different. It looks like a large, aggressive tribe has moved down out of the Wyrmsmoke Mountains. Frankly, I fear they might be numerous enough to sack the town."

"Beyond the immediate threat to our homes, the road is our lifeblood," The speaker continues. "If the hobgoblins make the Dawn Way impassable to the west, trade won't come this way, and we'll be ruined. Not only do we need to repel the raiders fro our town, but we've got to keep that road open. Can you help us do it?"
Aug 24, 2015 11:43 pm
Zaris steps over and offers his hand to the two. "I am Zaris. This seems like a pretty big problem Norro. What makes you think adding a few more of us will be enough to help?"
Aug 25, 2015 11:01 pm
I glide over to the table and introduce myself. "The name's Xara Stormwind. Perhaps you've heard of me? We'd be glad to help, but before we sign up to risk our lives to save yours, what sort of compensation are ya offering? At minimum we would need food, supplies, suitable weapons and armor. What say you?" It's not about the money. It's the principle of the thing. Someone wants help, they should be willing to pay for it.
Aug 26, 2015 12:07 am
"Yes yes Xara, we will need equipment!" Zaris says, slightly annoyed. "But we're talking about aggressive groups-large groups-of hobgoblins. Compensation is worth nothing if we face insurmountable odds!" He shifts his gaze from Xara back to Norro.
Aug 26, 2015 12:33 am
"Insurmountable odds? No need to be overdramatic, Zaris. We're just having a conversation here, aren't we?" I cross my arms and wait for more information to follow. Surely there are other guards or townsfolk who are even more invested in ridding the forests of the hobgoblin nuisance.
Aug 26, 2015 12:52 am
Visibly uncomfortable at the demand of monetary compensation, I steer the conversation back to the matter at hand. "Please, tell us more."
Aug 26, 2015 11:38 am
Norro nods, "We could pay you as much as 500 pieces of gold each, if you can drive off the hobgoblins. There's no need to kill them all if it isn't necessary, just get rid of them. As for the odds, we're not sure how many there are. A hundred, maybe. There have been at least three different warbands around our lands at the same time, each about fifteen to twenty strong, so fifty at the minimum. The hobgoblins are using fearful monsters and evil magic against us. Until you showed up, we haven't had any heroes here who could stand up to them."
Aug 26, 2015 12:43 pm
Zaris shakes his head. "We are grossly outnumbered!
Aug 26, 2015 3:41 pm
I look up from my morose contemplations at the mention of evil magic "what kinds of evil magic?"
Aug 26, 2015 4:31 pm
Norro shrugs, "Spells. Dark chants. Black tendrils and beams of light." He sighs, "I can say little more, as the guards we've sent to fight them have either returned, whispering of dark magic and terrible monsters or have not returned."
Aug 28, 2015 6:55 pm
"So..." Norro smiles faintly, "Are you in? Will you help? 500 gold each is no small sum, and you'd be saving the lives and livelihood of everyone in Drellen's Ferry. No one's asking you to kill all of the hobgoblins, just convince them to leave us alone - and maybe even return to their homes in the Wyrmsmoke Mountains."
Aug 28, 2015 7:42 pm
Taking a deep breath and looking at the expressions of his companions, Zaris nods. "If everyone else agrees then I will do what I can."
Aug 28, 2015 9:57 pm
"Alright, I'm in. But in case we don't live to see that 500 gold, how about you give us half upfront and we collect the other half when we finish the job? Once that is settled, I swear on my honor as a lady that I will do everything that I can to purge your town of this menace!"

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Aug 29, 2015 12:27 am
Giving careful consideration to convincing the hobgoblins to leave and go back to their home, I smile and nod. "We will absolutely help, Mister Speaker." I turn to Soranna. "Captain, can you tell us where we might find these creatures? Do they have camps nearby?"
Aug 29, 2015 8:25 pm
Watching Xara's expression Zaris nods in agreement.
Aug 31, 2015 12:37 am
Norro briefly glances up to Soranna, who shrugs, and he looks back to the group, "Very well. Half each up front. You will need to wait until morning so that I can collect the gold and have it delivered."

Soranna looks to Kaiakas, "They are somewhere in the Witchwood, which is across the river. If I were a hobgoblin chieftain looking to make a stand there, I'd pick one of the ruined keeps along the road. My bet is they're holed up in Vraath Keep.

After you cross the river you can either take the Dawn Way west, or strike north and take the Witch Trail. I would advise you to seek out Jorr. You can't find someone who knows the woods better. His cabin is out of the way, but it could be worth the walk. If you take the Witch Trail, go left at the first big trail crossing; Jorr's cabin is about seven miles in. If you're on the Dawn Way, take a right on a trail about nine miles from the forest edge. Jorr's cabin is near the Blackwater."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.