Chapter 1, Day 1 Afternoon: Drellen's Ferry

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 17, 2015 12:44 pm
Map of Elsir Vale

Map of Drellen's Ferry

The road descends into a small town built mostly on the near side of a broad, sluggish river. Six old stone piers jut from the water, marking the spot where a bridge once stood, but the span itself is long gone. Instead, a couple of long thick ropes cross the river, each secured to a flat-bottomed ferryboat. Brown fields and green orchards surround the town.

A group of armed townsfolk - three in leather, one in mail - stands guard, watching you warily, "Halt and state your business, strangers," one of the guards says.

You are located at just before the "I" on the bottom right of the Map of Drellen's Ferry
Aug 17, 2015 4:46 pm
"We are traveling and simply are looking for a place to rest and heal our wounds. We were attacked by Hobgoblins not far from here." the wizard states flatly. He's too tired and famished to show much emotion other than weariness.
Aug 17, 2015 10:56 pm
"A lively place with fine ale would do wonders right about now. We've had a rough day." I stand a little straighter, grimacing through the pain of my wounds, but managing to maintain eye contact with the townsfolk. "The name's Xara, by the way. Perhaps you have heard of me?"
Last edited August 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Aug 18, 2015 12:12 pm
The man in front of the guards, a burly fellow in scale mail with a curling mustache, nods and says, "Killed some goblins? Good. Bands of those murderous savages have been skulking near town for days now. You're lucky you came through it! As for a place to rest, the Old Bridge Inn is just ahead, on your left. Or, if you prefer, try the Green Apple, on the other side of the square. I like the Old Bridge myself." He steps to the side, and the three militia-men with him do the same, "Of course, you're also free to enter Drellen's Ferry."

On the map of Drellen's Ferry, Old Bridge Inn is 10, Green Apple is 4
Aug 18, 2015 8:07 pm
Pleased with the welcome we are given, I smile and nod slightly to the guards after double checking that my holy symbol is still hung around my neck, displayed on my chest. As we pass the guards, I voice my vote, "If the town guards speak highly of the place, I think we should try that one."
On our way to the inn, I survey our surroundings, particularly the "town square" across the street from the inn

Rolls

Perception (just in case) - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Aug 18, 2015 8:26 pm
As you walk down the road towards the Old Bridge Inn you pass by an open area of green grass and a few sparse trees. Children are running around playing and farmers have set up small stalls and are selling fruits and other fresh food. This must be the town square, or "The Green" as you overhear a few children who hurriedly push past you on their way to join their friends call it. As you pass by the one intersection before the Inn you notice two other things. A general store called "Jarett's Sundries" on the left and the town speaker's house on the right. Before long you are standing before the Old Bridge Inn. It is a nice building, and relatively well kept. You notice several horses are tied up outside and that the interior looks to be bustling. This is probably the more popular of the two inns, and seems to be frequented by travellers and other visitors to the small town.

Across the street you notice another building that sticks out from the rest. It's a stone tower some thirty feet high with a wood sign marked "Armory" and a single, bored looking, guard standing out front.

Area 2 is The Green. Jarret's Sundries is 11, and the Town Speaker's House is 3. The armory is 9
Aug 18, 2015 8:55 pm
The "Jarret's Sundries" sign piques my interest as I wonder if there are supplies we will be needing. I make a mental note to bring that Noticing the stone tower marked "Armory", I wonder out loud, "A public armory?" before continuing into the bustling inn with the rest of the group.
Aug 19, 2015 1:41 am
"Given our run in on the road, keeping a public armory seems like a smart idea," Zaris says to Kaiakas. "I wonder if there is a library around here?" he says aloud, mostly to himself. Zaris is still interested in reading up more on the silver concoction used on the were beast back weeks ago. And besides, one can learn a lot about an area by seeing what books they have collected.

"You all go ahead into the Inn. I'm going to find the library and see what I can learn about silvering weapons and perhaps a bit more about this Tiamat fellow in these parts." Zaris wanders off back towards the guards to have them point him in the right direction.
Aug 19, 2015 2:09 am
I take a look around, breathing in the hustle and bustle of the town. I can't help but wonder- if I were to, say, practice my craft... who would the best targets be? As I enter the inn, I nonchalantly look around in earnest.

Rolls

Perception- any fat wallets around? - (1d20+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Aug 19, 2015 2:53 pm
"A library sounds like a good idea Zaris, I think I'll join you and see if I can't find out anything more on Tiamat." I wearily gather up my supplies and join the Mage in the search for knowledge
Aug 19, 2015 3:23 pm
The Old Bridge Inn
Inside the inn isn't full yet, but it's quite busy for late afternoon. A halfling is pouring drinks and serving people from behind the bar and a couple halflings and half-elves are delivering drinks and food to those seated at tables. A couple games of cards are underway in the back corners, and a few tables near the door are empty.

As Xara looks around for a mark one of the halfling servers brushes past her and gently touches her hand, "Hello doll. It's a seat yourselves establishment. I'll be with you all shortly." Her expertise and fluency in thieves cant gives Xara a more thorough message: thievery will not be tolerated within the Inn, and her hands should be kept to herself.

To the Library?
The guard looks at Zaris quizzically, "A library? You're in the backwater friend, we've got no library here. Closest thing I can think of is paying a visit to Sertieren the Wise, he lives in the manor house at the north edge of town. Just follow the road until it reaches the woods. Kids'll tell you its haunted. Seriteren may be old but he's not dead. Just dislikes company."

Following the directions, the pair of you reach an old manor-house sitting right on the shore of the river. After rapping on the door, a middle-aged halfling wearing spectacles with a white-grey disheveled mop of hair flings open the door and sizes you up, "What and who are you?"

Sertieren's manor is location 7
Aug 20, 2015 3:44 am
I give the halfling a nod and a smile. I am fully capable of playing nice. I should probably save my skills for a more difficult task anyway. Parting drunk half-elves from their gold is child's play.

I immediately head towards the back right corner of the room to where the card games are being played. My goal is to listen in on the latest gossip. I'm especially curious as to whether anyone else is aware of the sort of dangers that await us in the woods.

Rolls

Investigation? - (1d20+2)

(14) + 2 = 16

Aug 20, 2015 12:07 pm
"Sentiern the Wise I presume?" Zaris says with the utmost respect. "We were directed to you by the town's guard. We've come from a rather respectable distance and were attacked by hobgoblins during our travels. One of them carried an artifact we believe to associated with the dragon god Tiamat and we were hoping to ask for your insight."

Rolls

Charisma - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Aug 20, 2015 3:14 pm
Not understanding the exchange between the thieves, I watch Xara walk toward the card games and find a table nearby where I can watch her. Should someone come by for my order, I will get a simple meal with a small glass of wine.
Aug 20, 2015 3:38 pm
The Old Bridge Inn

Kaiakas is soon served by a young halfling woman with a bright smile and curly blonde hair. The meal is warm, the bread relatively fresh - no more than a day old - and the meat has a flavour different from gravel. All nice changes from the usual roadside inn fare that he has, perhaps unfortunately, gotten used to recently.

Xara watches intently as a couple of dwarves and humans play a few hands of three dragon ante. It's a relatively simple game, but one of the dwarves, a burly fellow with a nice overcoat and several silver rings on his fingers, seems to be dominating the table. The conversation at the table is mostly about whether or not the dwarf is cheating. On occasion, their curses and remarks suggest that the townsfolk here are deeply worried about increased frequency of hobgoblin attacks. One remark from the nicely dressed dwarf sums up the general sentiment, "Another round to me. Keep up the bidding guys, I am in no hurry to get back on the road to Brindol and the more gold you lose to me the longer I can stay here and away from hobgoblin brigands."

Sentiern's Manor

The halfling shrugs, steps aside and with a gesture invites you into his home. He sits you down in a comfortable sitting area and with a waggle of his finger a cup of tea floats from an adjacent room into your hands. He sits himself in a larger, more comfortable chair and only then does he engage your question, "Hobgoblins are not news around here, unfortunately. But Tiamat, that is news. Show me this artifact and tell me what you know."
Aug 20, 2015 3:52 pm
I toss him the symbol of Tiamat with an easy underhand. "I s'pose its a good thing we were the ones on the road, else they'd have succeeded in their ambush." I look around at the books, idly wondering if there's a forgotten tome that could aid me in getting rid of my demonic obligation
Aug 20, 2015 8:31 pm
"The hobgoblins had no provocation from us and Tiamat is a god; could there be a following of that multiple headed beast? Zaris asks smiling at the cup of tea that flew into the room.
Aug 20, 2015 8:43 pm
Sentiern's Manor

The halfling frowns as he examines the holy symbol. He snaps his fingers and a dusty history book flies off a shelf into his hands. He flips the pages and his frown deepens, "Yes. I had thought as much. Centuries ago, when the Elsir Vale was the kingdom of Rhestilor, there was a cult who worshipped Tiamat that took up residence in the Wyrmsmoke Mountains. A group of adventurers eventually chased them from the mountains. I am not surprised that bits of their influence remain, even after centuries. A shrine, a temple, even a few scattered relics amongst the rocks, can be enough to spark faith in even the most monstrous of creatures. These things, especially when combined with legends, can also attract the faithful to seek them out." The symbol floats casually across the room to Rurik.
Aug 21, 2015 2:20 am
Zaris turns to Rurik as the symbol floats gently towards him. "Then it would seem we have stumbled into something most sinister here my friends," he says with a frown. He leans back in his seat and motions to Sentiern to look at the book further.
Aug 21, 2015 12:09 pm
Sentiern's Manor

Sentiern shrugs, "There isn't much more here to learn. The dragon cult was squashed centuries ago, and that was the last significant activity of Tiamat worship in this area. My best guess is that these hobgoblin worshippers of Tiamat came here because of legends of the old cult. That, or they were already here and found some artifact or something and deciding to change faiths... of course, it could also be a coincidence that this holy symbol was on a hobgoblin priest and a cult of the dragon used to inhabit Wyrmsmoke." He closes the book and sets it on a side table, then folds his arms into his lap, "These things are rarely a coincidence. Is there anything else I can help with?"
Aug 21, 2015 3:12 pm
"I came across a band of those myself. Nothing I couldn't handle. How long did you say those brigands have been wreaking havoc around these parts? Weeks? Months?" I continue watching the card game. We have some time to kill, perhaps a game is in order...
Aug 21, 2015 9:02 pm
Zaris sighs gently and rises to his feet. "No, thank you greatly for your time. You've been most helpful." The wizard rises and makes his way to the door and back to join the others at the Inn.
Aug 22, 2015 9:12 pm
Old Bridge Inn

As Xara inquires about the hobgoblins, Zaris and Rurik stroll into the inn and take seats beside Kaiakas. Just as they settle in, a tall balding man of about fifty and a capable-looking swordsman strolls into the inn. Behind him is a strong-bodied woman in heavy armour. Her face betrays no emotions except seriousness. The man glances around the tavern before spotting the trio sitting at the table and he steps up, "Sorry to trouble you, travellers, but I'd like a few minutes of your time," the man says. "My name is Norro Wiston, and I'm the Town Speaker for Drellen's Ferry. This is our guard captain, Soranna. I'll get right to the point: We're in a lot of trouble, and I was hoping I could persuade you to help us out." He gestures towards an empty chair at the table, politely waiting for an invitation to sit.
Aug 24, 2015 12:52 am
Zaris rises again almost as quickly as he sat down and politely points to the empty chair. "By all means, please."
Aug 24, 2015 12:42 pm
Norro sits and gets into the details, "Our town is under attack" he begins. "Hobgoblin raiders have been harrying our lands for several days now. They've attacked and killed people in the outlying homesteads, and they've been waylaying travellers along the Dawn Way."

Captain Soranna, who has remained standing, adds, "We've had some trouble with them before - a quick raid on homesteads on the west side of the river, usually no that bad - but this is different. It looks like a large, aggressive tribe has moved down out of the Wyrmsmoke Mountains. Frankly, I fear they might be numerous enough to sack the town."

"Beyond the immediate threat to our homes, the road is our lifeblood," The speaker continues. "If the hobgoblins make the Dawn Way impassable to the west, trade won't come this way, and we'll be ruined. Not only do we need to repel the raiders fro our town, but we've got to keep that road open. Can you help us do it?"
Aug 24, 2015 11:43 pm
Zaris steps over and offers his hand to the two. "I am Zaris. This seems like a pretty big problem Norro. What makes you think adding a few more of us will be enough to help?"
Aug 25, 2015 11:01 pm
I glide over to the table and introduce myself. "The name's Xara Stormwind. Perhaps you've heard of me? We'd be glad to help, but before we sign up to risk our lives to save yours, what sort of compensation are ya offering? At minimum we would need food, supplies, suitable weapons and armor. What say you?" It's not about the money. It's the principle of the thing. Someone wants help, they should be willing to pay for it.
Aug 26, 2015 12:07 am
"Yes yes Xara, we will need equipment!" Zaris says, slightly annoyed. "But we're talking about aggressive groups-large groups-of hobgoblins. Compensation is worth nothing if we face insurmountable odds!" He shifts his gaze from Xara back to Norro.
Aug 26, 2015 12:33 am
"Insurmountable odds? No need to be overdramatic, Zaris. We're just having a conversation here, aren't we?" I cross my arms and wait for more information to follow. Surely there are other guards or townsfolk who are even more invested in ridding the forests of the hobgoblin nuisance.
Aug 26, 2015 12:52 am
Visibly uncomfortable at the demand of monetary compensation, I steer the conversation back to the matter at hand. "Please, tell us more."
Aug 26, 2015 11:38 am
Norro nods, "We could pay you as much as 500 pieces of gold each, if you can drive off the hobgoblins. There's no need to kill them all if it isn't necessary, just get rid of them. As for the odds, we're not sure how many there are. A hundred, maybe. There have been at least three different warbands around our lands at the same time, each about fifteen to twenty strong, so fifty at the minimum. The hobgoblins are using fearful monsters and evil magic against us. Until you showed up, we haven't had any heroes here who could stand up to them."
Aug 26, 2015 12:43 pm
Zaris shakes his head. "We are grossly outnumbered!
Aug 26, 2015 3:41 pm
I look up from my morose contemplations at the mention of evil magic "what kinds of evil magic?"
Aug 26, 2015 4:31 pm
Norro shrugs, "Spells. Dark chants. Black tendrils and beams of light." He sighs, "I can say little more, as the guards we've sent to fight them have either returned, whispering of dark magic and terrible monsters or have not returned."
Aug 28, 2015 6:55 pm
"So..." Norro smiles faintly, "Are you in? Will you help? 500 gold each is no small sum, and you'd be saving the lives and livelihood of everyone in Drellen's Ferry. No one's asking you to kill all of the hobgoblins, just convince them to leave us alone - and maybe even return to their homes in the Wyrmsmoke Mountains."
Aug 28, 2015 7:42 pm
Taking a deep breath and looking at the expressions of his companions, Zaris nods. "If everyone else agrees then I will do what I can."
Aug 28, 2015 9:57 pm
"Alright, I'm in. But in case we don't live to see that 500 gold, how about you give us half upfront and we collect the other half when we finish the job? Once that is settled, I swear on my honor as a lady that I will do everything that I can to purge your town of this menace!"

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Aug 29, 2015 12:27 am
Giving careful consideration to convincing the hobgoblins to leave and go back to their home, I smile and nod. "We will absolutely help, Mister Speaker." I turn to Soranna. "Captain, can you tell us where we might find these creatures? Do they have camps nearby?"
Aug 29, 2015 8:25 pm
Watching Xara's expression Zaris nods in agreement.
Aug 31, 2015 12:37 am
Norro briefly glances up to Soranna, who shrugs, and he looks back to the group, "Very well. Half each up front. You will need to wait until morning so that I can collect the gold and have it delivered."

Soranna looks to Kaiakas, "They are somewhere in the Witchwood, which is across the river. If I were a hobgoblin chieftain looking to make a stand there, I'd pick one of the ruined keeps along the road. My bet is they're holed up in Vraath Keep.

After you cross the river you can either take the Dawn Way west, or strike north and take the Witch Trail. I would advise you to seek out Jorr. You can't find someone who knows the woods better. His cabin is out of the way, but it could be worth the walk. If you take the Witch Trail, go left at the first big trail crossing; Jorr's cabin is about seven miles in. If you're on the Dawn Way, take a right on a trail about nine miles from the forest edge. Jorr's cabin is near the Blackwater."
Aug 31, 2015 2:14 am
"'Til morning? Alright, I suppose I can wait until then. We'll discuss our plan of action tonight. Is that all you can tell us?"
Aug 31, 2015 2:26 am
Norro nods, "That is all I can add. Unless you have any specific questions, we shall need to go and begin arranging your payment."
Aug 31, 2015 2:34 am
"If it's all the same to you Xara, I would suggest we talk quickly," the wizard says. "I will need sufficient time to prepare myself for this...excursion tomorrow." He looks to each of his comrades with a look of utmost seriousness. "I am all willing to help, but this seems highly dangerous for a small group such as ourselves."
Aug 31, 2015 3:40 pm
I turn to Zaris with a lighthearted smile, "Think of the good we could do by saving this town."
Aug 31, 2015 8:38 pm
Zaris chuckles and smiles back at Kaiakas. "Yes, I suppose you're right. Let's just be careful and prepared!
Aug 31, 2015 11:14 pm
"To goodness! No other questions, good man." I pat Norro on the shoulder, then turn back to my companions. "We've much to drink and discuss. Preferably in that order."
Sep 1, 2015 3:33 pm
Nodding in agreement, Zaris walks back to the Inn, finds a nice comfortable chair at a large table near the fire and orders up a plate or roasted meat and vegetables. No sense fretting with an empty stomach he thinks to himself before opening up his spell book and carefully considering his options.
Sep 1, 2015 3:35 pm
The food is delivered to Zaris quite quickly, and when he goes to pay the halfling who delivered it smiles and says, "No need sir. Overheard your conversation with Norro, meals for you and yours are on the house today."
Sep 1, 2015 4:18 pm
I head over to Zaris' table and plunk down next to him. "The same for me! And a round of your finest ale! Who am I to pass up a free meal? We may not live to see another!" I drum my fingers on the table before addressing Zaris. "Got something in that book of yours that will help us, or are ya just reading to calm your nerves?"
Sep 1, 2015 6:00 pm
Some time later, Corban stumbles up to where Zaris and Xara are enjoying their ale. "Where in the hellsh have you two been? Shhome clown down at the bar bet me I couldn't polishhh 6 bottles of Gnomish bitter. HAR Jokes on him... " With that, Corban unceremoniously flops himself to the floor near the fire, a confused expression on his face.

"Did we get new friends? I could have sworn there was only one Xara when we got to this town... Oh well... whells. Say Zaris, can we go practice fireballs?" Before Zaris can have a chance to respond, nothing but snores are coming from Corban's slumped form.
Sep 1, 2015 6:22 pm
Shortly after Corban passed out on the floor, I step in looking particularly pleased will myself "well that was worth the gold it cost to keep him from making the obnoxious jokes for an evening." I join the rest at the table "Do, mass quantities of hobgoblins stand between us and funding for future endeavors?"
Sep 1, 2015 9:01 pm
"Well thank you much graciously," Zaris exclaims. He puts down his spell book and eats deliberately and quickly. "Excellent goat meat!" He says in the direction of the kitchen, but much too quietly for anyone to hear. Seeing Xara approach, the wizard smiles and thumbs through his book again.

"I'm still very much an academic at all of this spell casting," he admits with a bit of embarrassment. "I wish I had more to offer, but these things take a great deal of time. They continue to eat and chat about their mission tomorrow.

"Corban!" Zaris exclaims as the man drunkenly walks into the room. "Do you really think this is best right before we-" Zaris doesn't bother finishing his thought has Corban slumps, snoring on the ground.
Sep 1, 2015 10:11 pm
"Why yes, Rurik. I believe so. However, thanks to my excellent skills in negotiating, we'll get half payment in the morning. They sure do have a lot of faith in my, I mean our, abilities."

You do not have permission to post in this thread.