Exigency Character Creation/Character List

load previous
Aug 24, 2015 6:28 pm
Serana Margoyles

Character Sheet

Biography:
Once a favoured agent of the High Council, Serana almost died at the hands of a powerful renegade psion. Her personal fortune saved her life but when she awoke from surgery her psionic abilities were all but gone. A shadow of her former glory, she turned her back on her old life and spent her wealth on the best implants she could afford. Where once she approached problems with a sharp mind, now she settles for a sharp sword.

VIT: 2
STR: 7
AGI: 0
FOC: 1
WIL: 4
KNO: 1

Hit Points: 5
Edge Points: 3

Talents:
Melee +2
Mobility +1

Aspects:
Sundering Blade [Passive]
Your attacks consider targets to have half their usual armour value. If an attack bypasses all their armour, or they have none, +1F hit.

Miring Field [Empower]
Standard action. Nominate adjacent tile: occupants gain Priority. If an occupant leaves they gain an Exploit but the tile effect ends.

Smash [Encounter power]
Full action. Adjacent target is afflicted with Knockdown for one round, then Slowed for two rounds. Constitution save reduces to Stunned one round/Slowed for one round.

Resources:
Cybernetic limbs [3] +3 STR. When disabled, limbs move sluggishly with speed and strength inferior to even an average human's.
Long cleaver [1] Grants 1d10 attack with four points of armor piercing. But Serana is much less skilled in unarmed combat and struggles when disarmed.
Bitter former Councillor [1] +1 WIL, but tends to be unpleasant and snappy around psions.
Aug 24, 2015 6:42 pm
Pudge Iranii

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/23420524/databroker004-1.jpg

Biography: Pudge Iranii comes from a middle class family who loved and supported him. His dad died when he was very young, and his step-dad was a member of the Distand Order. He was raised believing that psions are too powerful and unpredictable and that they should forsake their powers. Pudge also had a natural proclivity for manipulating communicators from a young age. For his seventeenth birthday, Pudge's parents gifted him with a moderately advanced communicator implant, hoping it would provide him the opportunity to pursue a career in technology.

During the procedure, however, the surgeon discovered that Pudge had latent psionic abilities, and the implant caused them to "come online." As it turned out, Pudge's birth father had strong psionic abilities, so strong that he felt compelled to try to use them productively to improve society. He applied and was accepted as an Enforcer, and was killed in the line of duty. Pudge's mother never forgive him, and never told Pudge about his father's abilities.

Once the surgeon told Pudge that his implant had activated his psionic abilities, Pudge was certain his mom and step-dad would never understand. Pudge didn't undersand it himself. He thought psions were at best unknowingly disrupting the natural order and harming society with their powers and at worst actively working against a stable and moral community. Now he was one! He went home, packed a bag, and left. He wrote home twice since leaving, just to let his parents know he's safe, but he hasn't spoken with them. And he misses them terribly.

VIT: 2
STR: 1
AGI: 2
FOC: 2
WIL: 3
KNO: 4

Hit Points: 6

Talents: Tech, Psi

Aspects:
Disabling Virus (Empower) - Standard action. Target any technological component. That component is disabled until an adjacent enemy succeeds on a KNO save AND THEN spends a Full Action repairing the component. (KNO)
Feedback (Empower) - Standard action. Grand self/taget a Shield token. This token is spent automatically when attacked and Stuns the token's recipient. (WIL for a bio target, KNO if the target is mechanical)
Enhance (Encounter power) - Full action. Grant item/machine +2 to any stat and grant it an aspect ability. In non-combat situations, given the appropriate resources, the enancement is permanent until a crit fail is rolled in conjunction with the item/machine. You must have witnessed the aspect being used to mimic it. (In combat WIL, non-combat KNO)

Resources:
Hacking [2]
Psionic Disruption & Support [1]
Network Implant [1]
Last edited August 24, 2015 7:09 pm
Aug 24, 2015 9:12 pm
Albionest says:
What does everyone think? I don't know whether to play the above or be a more traditional ranged Blaster. Would I be stepping on Wilhelm's toes?
I'm more of a duelist/executioner type. I wouldn't worry about it. Our only real similarities is that we're grim, brooding, and hit things pretty hard.
Aug 24, 2015 9:19 pm
I would like to clarify that i only hunt rogue psions. So while i'm likely to be distrustful, hostility will only be encountered should you give me a reason to make it necessary.
Aug 26, 2015 6:45 pm
Can I retcon Pudge having a simple ranged weapon... a small handgun or something? We didn't really go over starting equipment, and I definitely need some way to do damage (especially something I can use as a minor action).
Aug 26, 2015 6:51 pm
I was wondering about this as well. We have no ranged weapons in the party!
Aug 27, 2015 6:49 am
I'm thinking we could make it that any PC, without a specific item resource, can make a 1d6-damage ranged attack (flavoured as anything you prefer), but if you're willing to spend a Resource slot you could maybe have a 1d8 gun with 2 points of armour bypass, and I'd allow that to be used as a minor
Aug 31, 2015 3:48 pm
Hey, folks. This is my first time coming to this system, so forgive me for my ignorance of of the setting details and underlying assumptions. Any requests for a particular niche that needs to be filled? I have the feeling that someone with a ranged combat ability would be desirable?

Before I'd read this thread, I'd come up with a character concept of a professional entertainer - a stage magician - who has some latent psi abilities despite a particular disdain for the supernatural. Unfortunately, he's had consistent visions of the awful things in the Vault, and has become convinced that he needs to do whatever it takes to stop them. So he's left the traveling carnival troupe and is bumbling his way forward, aided by his aspects that are geared around detection, perception, intuition. But I clearly need help with the aspects, particularly with tying them into the mechanics of the system. I could see specifically altering "I See You" and "Single-Minded" so that one is more about perception and the other is a more ranged combat stat, but I'd like suggestions/advice.

VIT: 1
STR: 1
AGI: 1
FOC: 3
WIL: 2
KNO: 3

Hit Points: 5

Talents: Insight +3, Psi +1

Aspects:
* Single-minded: [FOC] ability to ignore all distractions)
* I See You [WIL] (perceive despite attempts to hide, conceal, disguise)
* Is This Your Card? [KNO] (intuit the true nature or intents of things/characters)

Resources:
* bag of tricks [3]: a small sack which has been passed down from generation to generation in my family. Most likely an alien artifact, though it's always been there and I've never thought about it too much. The bag actually contains a wormhole connected to a large space. Many generations back, my forebears set up a table in this space, and this is the only way I think of using it: I arrange useful small items on the table, so that they're always at hand: a deck of cards, some dice, hand weapons (melee and ranged), toiletries, some cash. I have muscle memory to recall where I put the items, as light does not penetrate the wormhole, and I've learned to place the items in a circle on the table, so someone else reaching in would just feel the blank hard surface at first touch.
* ring of acceleration [2]: the mobile power source for an advanced network of biomods, affecting glands, neural synapses, motor control and muscle reflexes, the ring is a showy way of starting a typical performance. I put on the ring, and am effectively better: both faster and more coordinated. This has allowed me to perform amazing feats of sleight-of-hand, but having the power source as a ring has inherent flaws...
Aug 31, 2015 3:50 pm
...and of course, that was just my first stab at a character, so I'm not married to the ideas and am willing to try something else that would be a better complement to what others are playing.
Aug 31, 2015 5:39 pm
I like that concept a lot and can see it working. If you're toying with making some kind of alternate, an AGI/FOC build with some Stealth a well as Insight would be helpful. I don't think any of us have Stealth...
Aug 31, 2015 6:05 pm
Seems great! I like the flair.

If you want to take Albionest's advice, maybe you could work with an acrobat rather than an illusionist...?
Aug 31, 2015 6:12 pm
That's not a bad idea! Keep with the entertainer idea but be more dexterity, less smarts. Keep the FOC, maybe lower WIL and KNO slightly and put more points in AGI. Maybe trade the Psi for a Stealth. And bam, you could even keep the same aspects.

But keep in mind we're just making suggestions, do whatever you feel like.
Aug 31, 2015 7:42 pm
spaceseeker19 says:

Aspects:
* Single-minded: [FOC] ability to ignore all distractions)
* I See You [WIL] (perceive despite attempts to hide, conceal, disguise)
* Is This Your Card? [KNO] (intuit the true nature or intents of things/characters)

Hmm. Not to talk over the party, but let me take a quick stab at these...

Single-Minded [Passive]
+1 to Initiative rolls. When facing an environmental or ambient effect that reduces your mental effectiveness, gain Advantage.

I See You [Empower]
Free action. Apply the Exposed status effect to a target: halving their defence and negating any cover/Stealth attempts until they move into a new tile.

Is This Your Card? [Critical trait]
On a critical, +10 to your skill roll. If this still isn't enough to meet the target value, reduce the target's difficulty/defence by an amount equal to your Insight rank for the duration of the encounter.
Sep 1, 2015 3:10 am
Hmm. I like the idea of being stealthy, but in the context of my character concept as possibly misdirection rather than ninja-like concealment. Sort of a "Have you seen this one before? I'm doing this innocuous thing out here in the open; nothing suspicious at all. Whoops! Here's some flowers!" (and, if successful, I've also got his keycard and downloaded an image of his comunit - with passcodes). So that becomes both a flavor and mechanics question: does my character concept as it is allow for that sort of misdirection (could I use a +1 Psi in this sort of sting, rather than the explicit stealth talent?), or is there a way to tweak it to enable that sort of activity through stealth without rendering my Aspects nonsensical (do they make sense just based on Insight without Psi)?

Oh, and thank you for the write up of the Aspects, Edcrab! I love it!
Sep 1, 2015 7:23 am
I generally think of talents as more than just learned skill, which is why items and backgrounds etc can contribute to them, and for this reason there's sometimes a little unavoidable crossover. Both Social and Insight could be used to determine motive/whether someone's lying, both Melee and Mobility are justifiably used to move through crowds, and of course if you're trying misdirection and deceit you can make a fine case for Social, Stealth and even Insight to figure out what someone's buttons are and manipulate them

Psi is particularly troublesome in that regard, because it's a sort of preternatural fusion of Insight and Social, with the difference being that the vector is different and people might object to being psionically scanned (or even influenced, if you're powerful enough). It also gets a bit weird that non-psions can take ranks in Psi, albeit to represent their knowledge and familiarity of dealing with it in others!

And I'd say the aspects work just fine as Insight-flavoured rather than Psi-flavoured, and could possibly even serve as Stealth-flavoured with a bit of a rethink:

Single-Minded (you could obviously rename these if you went down that route) grants its bonus because you benefit from anything distracting/chaotic as it increases your chances of laying low. I See You is an extension of your own Stealth experience being used to counter that of others. And of course Is This Your Card is a critical hit effect and could easily be seen as some sort of ambush or sneaky special move

Ultimately this system is very abstract and aspect effects tend to be so simple that you could flavour them/fluff them to be damn near anything. For example: Serana could be a showboating wrestler, with Miring Field as an attempt to goad enemies into making a mistake (a group gets Priority, and the first one to try and shut this loudmouth wrestler up steps forward and gets beaten for their trouble). Even Wilhelm's Brutalise could be seen as some sort of Social ability, where the "Lethal" hit consists of the target running away and, understandably, affecting their allies' morale as normal.
Sep 2, 2015 4:46 am
Okay, I've tweaked the character a bit and uploaded it to the game. I'm sure I'll appear sometime after this first encounter...
Apr 22, 2016 4:33 pm
Sooo. They don't take into account your resources and they don't list derivative stats, but what the hey!

http://i.imgur.com/lQKpsQn.png
http://i.imgur.com/c6Gw7QD.png
http://i.imgur.com/4DWSHCG.png
http://i.imgur.com/Vw9ZSR7.png

This is also an opportunity to showcase an idea I had: that every passive can be spent as an encounter power (and obviously disabled until the encounter's end as a result), and that every Empower has a souped-up Edge version (just like Pudge's originally did)

You might notice that Serana's passive is a little different! Likewise I've tweaked the wording in most of your abilities, usually so that the encounter power/Edge version of each ability is noticeably superior to the standard version. None of this is set in stone obviously, so let me know what you think!
Apr 23, 2016 11:51 am
This looks cool. I like your sheet design too
Apr 23, 2016 4:12 pm
Yeah. Although I'll be a pain and say that at some point I'd like to rename Seranas Miring Field! I think flavour it as intimidation instead of telekinesis becayse I honestly and literally forget that I initially imagined her as still having residual psi. Might say now that she has none left at all.

edit - although I don't think I've ever even used it? Just the Sundering passive and Smash!
Last edited April 23, 2016 4:19 pm
Apr 25, 2016 5:52 pm
Hey, this is really cool!

The only comment I have is that I was trying to work a sort of tinkerer mechanic into my Enhance skill, such that I could improve other people's equipment in more permanent type ways by actually sitting down and modifying the hardware. If that's too much of a shoehorn, I think I'd prefer to have that skill than the temporary in-combat components of enhance.

I don't really know how or if this works, or if it would be considered too OP. Just kind of thinking about the character, and what kinds of ways he might try to help and fit in with the group.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.