Chapter 1, Day 2: Into the Witchwood

Sep 1, 2015 8:21 pm
Map of Elsir Vale

Map of Drellen's Ferry

You wake in the morning, having stayed at the Old Bridge (it was hard to turn down free room and board) and were served a hearty breakfast by the inn staff. As you are eating a messenger from Norro arrives and delivers a small bag of gold to each of you - 250 gold a piece, half up front as promised. The inn staff provide each of you with a care package of dried, salted meat and bread for the road. At least your first meal won't be stale rations.

Before long you've crossed the river and are preparing to head into the witchwood, when you are confronted with the first decision of the day: follow the Dawn Way, or take the Witch Trail.

(You are at the "I" on the top left of the map. The Dawn way continues West while the Witch Trail cuts south directly into the woods. You know little about the difference - except that the Witch Trail is less travelled, and that the Hobgoblins' efforts have been focussed on harassing travellers along the Dawn Way.)
Sep 2, 2015 11:32 am
I yawn and stretch before turning to the others. "The Witch Trail, then?"
Sep 2, 2015 1:57 pm
"I agree," Zaris replies. "My readings lead me to believe that it will offer the best protection for us. We should be able to take cover more readily; something we may very well need."
Sep 2, 2015 4:33 pm
"Very good Zaris. As much as we can hope for the best, it is often a wise course to prepare for the worst."
Sep 2, 2015 8:38 pm
"Let's start out straight away. Who knows what the weather will hold for us?" Zaris checks his shortsword one last time and then sheaths it in favor of his cross bow. He readies a bolt and readies for their march.
Sep 2, 2015 9:44 pm
Corban approaches the party, in something slightly above a stumble, but clearly impaired somehow. "Gods, is the sun usually this bright? Zaris don't you have something you can use to shield some of this blasted light?" Corban gives his head a shake, then seems to collect himself. "Witchwood then? i suppose avoiding the direct Hobbo activity is a good idea, I'm certainly not feeling up to a fight at this point."
Sep 2, 2015 10:38 pm
Seeing Corban's state, I walk behind him, tap him on the right shoulder and yell "Hey!" then step backwards towards his left, as sneakily as I can.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Sep 3, 2015 1:56 am
"Xara, please!" the wizard says with only the slightest hint of irritation. He shakes his head and chants a few words quietly in Elvish. Out of the air forms a one foot disc of grayish smoke that hovers just over Corban's head blocking as much as the sun as a simple prestidigitation spell can muster. The wizard smiles and looks back towards the dark wood up ahead.
Sep 3, 2015 2:21 am
Glad to not be on the receiving end of any teasing, I give a small smile to the Xara, Zaris, and Corban. "Yes, Corban, we'll be heading out soon. Has anyone seen Rurik?"
Sep 3, 2015 5:09 am
A foul stream of cursing precedes me as I join the rest of the group, "Great, more forests, I don't suppose we'd ever have to explore a more welcoming environment?" I mutter sourly, not willing to admit that I drank too much in my quest to get Corban good and hungover.
Sep 3, 2015 11:28 am
You follow the Witch Trail, a footpath that leads from the field's eventually north of Drellen's Ferry. When you reach the stream you follow it westwards, as Sorrana had recommended. The trail leads past a small cabin in a deep forest glade. A ramshackle front porch is littered with fishing baskets and skinning frames. The cabin overlooks a dark bayou or lake, with old gray cedar-trees draped in moss rising out of the water. An old skill is tied up on the shore nearby, and a little smoke curls from the fieldstone chimney.

Everyone gains Inspiration
Sep 3, 2015 3:09 pm
"Let's make sure we don't look threatening everyone," the wizard says looking the cabin over and following the curls of smoke high up into the morning air. "No sense in scaring anyone."
Sep 3, 2015 4:07 pm
"Very well Zaris, I'll keep my sword stowed for the time being. I'll go knock on the door, see who's home."
Corban approaches the door slowly, whether slowed by careful advance, or the too bright sun boiling the gnomish bitter in his blood, will still be debated by the Oghman priests in thousands of years.

OOC: Corban is taking his time in case anyone wants to protest or take up some specific positions before he knocks on the door...
Sep 3, 2015 5:11 pm
"Let us keep our weapons sheathed, but keep them on you. Better to be prepared just in case." A thought came to me as I was about to walk with everyone up to the cabin's door. "Perhaps one of us should go to the door while the rest of us stand back a bit. Zaris, you are right. Let's not scare anyone. Would you like to go to the door?"
Sep 3, 2015 6:12 pm
"Zaris does have that kindly elven look about him, perhaps he would be a better ambassador." Corban steps to the side and gives Zaris room to advance on the door.
Sep 3, 2015 8:44 pm
"Of course," Zaris says swinging his crossbow back onto his shoulder. He walks up to the door....
Last edited September 4, 2015 1:59 am
Sep 3, 2015 8:46 pm
"I dunno about that- he looks plenty dangerous to me!" I give him a wry grin, then motion him to go ahead. "By all means." I wait a few moments, then follow behind him.
Sep 3, 2015 9:48 pm
As Zaris approaches, but before he can get closer, a low growl comes from below the porch. In a flash of fur and fangs two large hunting dogs dart from beneath the porch. They stop with ten feet between themselves and Zaris and continue to growl and snap but do not advance closer.
Sep 4, 2015 1:59 am
Startled, Zaris tries his best not to look scared despite the fact that he is pretty sure he wet his undergarments. "Easy boys," he says in as calm and low a voice as possible. He slowly moves his arms out to his side, ready to grab his sword if need be.
Sep 4, 2015 2:02 am
A shutter over one of the cabin windows swings open and a grizzled man leans out, "Heel." He shouts and the dogs relax and retreat back to the cool shade under the porch.

The cabin's door opens, and a lean woodsman of indeterminate age steps onto the porch. He has a seamed, leathery look to his face and arms, and a big curved knife sits in a sheath strapped to one thigh. "Don't get many visitors out here," he rasps. "Who're you, and what do you want with me?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.