Let's Name This Fuckin' World

Sep 12, 2015 8:37 pm
Alright, this baby's been born for like 4 months and we still haven't named it yet. Let's get this shit done. I'm too afraid to just name the whole damn world. And plus, it's hard to come up with something good. So how about we each come up with, say, 3-4 proposed names for the world & the main continent within the world, and then once everybody's posted we pick one. Here are mine:

World
Verge
Solus
Voracis
Cleft
Wane
Asspocalypse

Continent
Tarne
Golis
Brask
Rakan
Nov 26, 2015 5:32 am
Triune
sueño profundo
Verge (seconded)
Giftig
Yūgaina
Raffinerad
Kovaren
Nov 26, 2015 5:42 am
Dirge
Dearth
Tyro
Annex
Chary
Nascent
Labile
Sedulous
Regulus
Zeal
Dross
May 25, 2017 11:24 pm
Alright I think we should call this world Verge.

As for continent? Kovaren? Tarne? Other ideas?
May 26, 2017 3:48 am
I like Verge.

Suggestion though: We have multiple races and peoples to work with, so we could also determine names on a per-language or per-tradition basis. So the continent could be "Kovaren" to the human kingdoms of the midlands, "Kinlevarien" to the bog elves, and "Big Walkaround" to the dwarves. Would also open the door to writing some more historical stuff. Explorations and discoveries and that. I might be over-complicating, though.
May 26, 2017 6:10 am
I like the idea of an overarching name for the planet and Verge has the ominous feeling of change. Like Sudden Valley. I also like the idea of race specific names that come from early traditions. We may want to think about trying a game of Microscope to help develop these ideas of history. They may help define the cultures more too. Perhaps only isolationist races have their own name and everyone else in the free trading lands call it Verge?
May 27, 2017 1:57 am
Yeah, that would make the most sense I think. Races who use a lot of Common are probably gonna have one term, or similar terms in different dialects, whereas who knows what those weird crown dwarves call it.

Hmm... I was gonna put in a vote for "Kovaren" and variants for the continent name, but I get the feeling that our Common is probably from the Midlands and therefore rather more... French. Chouvarien, maybe?
May 27, 2017 1:59 am
That's too close to Khorvaire for me.
May 27, 2017 2:24 am
Oh, good point. Donlerre? Louraise? Teroncarre? Vin Pemaille?

http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/-0hq1xiHQrQQGxdG_Siwz9lOmXw=/fit-in/1200x9600/2013%2F07%2F05%2F6b%2FMontyPython.f5aba.gif
May 27, 2017 3:25 pm
Hm, I'm cool with French name-theming, but I also think the frenchiness should be toned down and anglicized a bit? Or names chosen that are easy to flatten into English?

I also like the idea of different names for different races, but a commonality among traders

Evran
Tené
Bretou
Miers
Lomé
Ferre
Borde
Travail*
Abri
May 28, 2017 4:13 am
Quote:
Others whisper darkly that Our Mother could not save us. The world itself rests deep in the pit of Joswee's stomach. His caustic innards crushing and shredding these mortal forms, ultimately to digest our souls. It is for this reason that Death reigns in our mortal world. If only there were an escape... [The Tattered Verge (1 coin)]
. . .the truth of the world . . .
May 28, 2017 12:10 pm
Haha, I was re-reading that yesterday too, and was like "oh, that's where that name came from!"

Mortal Life is nothing more than the digestion of our spirits...

These guys have got to have some awesome death-cult rituals.
Jun 3, 2017 6:17 am
Regurgitation - Death Ritual of the Frost Giant Clerics of Don Joswee (1) used to bring back recently deceased (ingested) souls. (1)

The Midland Continent - I'm cool with Bretou (because I like Bretons) and Travail (because that's a word with interesting meaning). Donlerre's not bad either.
Jul 1, 2017 4:10 am
I'd lean toward Bretou over Travail, since the second is a bit too on-the-nose and we've already done that with Verge. Ferre also wouldn't be bad.
Jul 1, 2017 4:26 am
Ferre - land of blood and iron
Jul 1, 2017 4:31 am
If we're including Isla Moghila in the landmass, then probably more blood than iron even!
Jul 1, 2017 4:45 am
That's a volcanic island...I don't know if it's part of a greater landmass. Also, it may have been constructed less organically than most islands

You do not have permission to post in this thread.