The Game

Sep 17, 2015 8:24 pm
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/66/163317001_ec499e9bcf_b.jpg
http://www.bellenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Stores-are-expected-to-make-a-total-of-11.4-billion-on-Black-Friday-2012.jpg
http://www.nepinvest.com/img/properties/mega-mall-1.jpg

Black Friday, 2020
11:59 PM

You find yourselves in the Metropolis Mega Mall Complex, a sprawling mega-mall encompassing miles and miles of every store you can think of, and some you've never seen before. Thousands upon thousands of men, women, and children are packed within, either waiting in colossal lines or milling about frantically and futilely for a "smaller" line to get the products they need.
Big sales start in one minute.
The crowd surges with restlessness and that bloodthirsty sense of competition you can't find anywhere else but Black Friday.
Retail employees kitted out in riot gear start beating back overzealous front-of-the-liners, as everyone waits for the clock to tick down that last 60 seconds before your precious sales.

GM: So starting off we've got Sammy in the food court, Daisuke waiting in line at Omega Electronics, Ben the Chef looking for a BlendTec, and Gus Gus browsing Victoria's Secret. What is your next move once you realize your objective at your current location?
Sep 17, 2015 8:27 pm
I'm going to go over and wait in line at the electronics store. To do so I have to walk about 5 stores down from there, where it actually starts.
Sep 17, 2015 9:28 pm
Sammy, as you are walking past the giant line, about 2 stores down you see your hated rival Gina. In middle school you were best friends, but in 9th grade she betrayed you and you've been worst enemies ever since. She's standing in line with your ex-boyfriend. She sees you and gives a sneer, while your ex bows his head really quickly and refuses to make eye contact.

"Hey, Sammy!" she says in a mocking sing-song voice as gives her hair a sassy flip.. "It's so great to see you, trailing behind me as always. I hope you weren't planning on getting an iPhone 17, because by the time you get through the line they'll be all gone, girl. If you were smart you would've gotten here early, like I did. Oh, but you're not that smart, are you?"
She sticks out her tongue at you and then turns and starts furiously making out with your ex.
Sep 17, 2015 11:06 pm
I'm going to try and walk by like I don't even see her. Besides, my ex, Tjimminy, wasn't even that great. Everyone knows Gina is like a total slut and just goes out with him to get at me, it's sad really. We haven't ever been the same since I got my period first and she told the guy I really liked about it in front of the class.

I give her the coldest of shoulders.
Last edited September 17, 2015 11:07 pm

Rolls

Mundane Roll - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Sep 18, 2015 4:57 am
Daisuke takes a selfie (see picture) and marks it in both Japanese and English, "My first Black Friday. So excited!" He then proceeds to wander around cluelessly for the next five minutes until he finds where they keep the PS5 inside the electronics store. He hopes its obvious... but everything is in English and his English is so-so.
Last edited September 18, 2015 4:59 am

Rolls

Mundane Roll- Find the PS5 - (1d10)

(4) = 4

Sep 18, 2015 5:08 am
Sammy, your dignity and poise shine through, and you give her the coldest of shoulders. You hear her gasp in shock that she didn't phase you and you don't have to look back to know the exact stupid pout that she has on her face. You continue to the end of the line without further incident.

Daisuke, as you turn to wander you see a giant neon sign that says BUY PS5 HERE, LOWEST PRICES GUARANTEED above a store named Omega Electronics, and you realize that the crowd of people you've been standing in the middle of is actually the line for it and you are fairly close to the front. Standing right in front of you is a man in denim shorts, a denim vest, a black leather cowboy hat and boots, and nothing else. He gives you a huge grin as he sees you dazedly looking around.
"Well hey hey there, lil buddy. You look like youse lost. You from China or somethin?"
Sep 18, 2015 5:28 am
Gus Gus is a little bewildered that he can't actually seem to find the angel wings for purchase at Victoria's Secret. That would be perfect for Vanessa...

He ends up getting a pink chemise and a silk robe, spending more money on clothing than he's ever spent before in his life. He is oblivious to the clerk's smirk as she gift wraps the package for him. As he exits the store, he realizes that he bought the package...in person. How is he going to get it to Vanessa without the FBI being able to trace it back to this clerk? Even if he uses a courier, they'll tack it back to this store, and they'll sure remember the black kid in the women's lingerie store: "Oh wait - was it a guy? Oh yeah, I remember THE ONE GUY who bought something here on Black Friday!!"

Gus Gus is beginning to panic. He's got this (in his mind) great gift for Vanessa, and now he can't give it to her!! He's considering what to do next, when the crush of Black Friday shoppers smacks into him, and he has to struggle to not lose his pink be-ribboned gift box.

(Edit: Gus Gus still has 8 bubblegum, AND the package for Vanessa).
Last edited September 18, 2015 5:29 am

Rolls

Not dropping the box (mundane) - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Sep 18, 2015 5:45 am
Gus Gus, as you fumble with the package but ultimately catch it and find a bit of relief as you are shuffled and jostled out of the crowd, an alert pings on your Google glass.
You see Vanessa, your pursuer (and lady love? The dangerous thoughts distract you for a second) get up from where she was eating in the food court, casually discard her garbage in the nearest receptacle and speak into her cuff for a second before she carefully puts on a pair of shades and begins making her way down the wing of the mall you are currently in.
You estimate you have about one minute before she walks by where you are currently standing.
What do you do?
Sep 18, 2015 3:37 pm
Gus Gus panics, knowing he needs to escape, and looks for a place to conceal himself in a large group. The Omega Electronics store seems likely. He steps into line and tries to act like a normal kid. He attempts to talk to the girl who just got in line before him (Sammy): "Hi!" (his voice cracks) "Uh...hi. I'm...uh...looking for the PS5s...is this the end of the line?"
Sep 18, 2015 3:43 pm
Sammy, the congenial go-getter overachieving girl she is spins quickly and puts her hand out for an unnervingly firm handshake. "Hi, I'm Sammy. I have a 4.0. Also, yes, this is the line. I'm here to get a new case for my Bae's iPhone 17. What are you here for?", Sammy says, her face glossing over with teen-love as she talks about her BF.

[ OOC: I'm guessing the handshake is quite a mundane activity. ]

Rolls

Mundane, But Firm, Handshake - (1d10)

(7) = 7

Sep 18, 2015 4:00 pm
Gus winces a bit at her crushing handshake, and awkwardly shifts the large pink Victoria's Secret gift box from one arm to the other. "The 17, huh? What kind of case are you looking for? Like with an extra battery, a solar charger, or non-slip rubber grip?" Gus is pretty distracted by watching his drone's feed, but he is very opinionated about accessories for electronics, and he could talk this stuff in his sleep. "Oh! And...uh...my name is...is Gino." (he improvises a name that is unfortunately close to his real name)
Last edited September 18, 2015 8:52 pm
Sep 18, 2015 6:11 pm
"Brensen, that is my boyfriend, Brensen. He wants the one with the extra battery pack that doubles as a mug warmer. He is an artist. Well, he takes photos of interesting looking knots in wood and posts them to SnapGram, the social media messaging service that deletes your account after every message. He is very underground. Did I mention my boyfriends name is Brensen?", Sammy says, talking a mile a minute about nothing at all. She is the head of her debate team for a reason.

"What is that?", she suddenly shifts her conversational momentum (one sided as it has been thus far) to the bag that Gino is holding.
Last edited September 18, 2015 6:12 pm
Sep 18, 2015 9:00 pm
"This? This is a present...for-for a friend of mine. I was here, shopping, you know, for a PS5, like I said, and this caught my eye and I figured I'd get it while I was here at the mall." While I was here at the mall?? he screams to himself, What is wrong with you?? Gus Gus has little experience talking with people face-to-face and he's finding it a bit flustering talking to this girl while watching Vanessa on his video feed...Sammy is taking more of his attention now. His focus causes Gus Gus to not bank the drone when he should have and he loses sight of Vanessa for a moment. Brensen? Where have I heard that name before? and then Oh, crap - the drone!
Sep 20, 2015 6:22 pm
Ben walks past the food court on his way to the kitchen appliances store. He's friends with some of the owners and cooks down there but he decides not to bug them today seeing as they probably have their hands full with the crowds. He notices an attractive woman eating alone (Vanessa) but he hasn't got time for flirting just now so he moves on.

Finally at the store he wades through a sea of moms towing screaming kids. Finally he spots the blenders...
Sep 22, 2015 2:13 am
Gus Gus, to reassert control over the drone I'm gonna need you to make a mundane roll.

Ben, to successfully navigate and walk past the moms like a normal person, I'm going to need you to also make a mundane roll.

Sammy, at that moment you receive a picture message on your phone from your BFF and it's very clearly your boyfriend Brensen and he appears to be in the company of another girl you don't recognize. She is a bit older, seemingly college age, and EXTREMELY attractive. The caption reads OMG BABE I JUST SAW BREN AND HES WITH THIS SKANK. What do you do?
Sep 22, 2015 9:43 am
Gus Gus tries to regain control of the drone while talking to this energetic girl.

Result: he's not so distracted by her that he crashes the drone...aided, no doubt, by the fact that she took her intense gaze off of him to boggle at her phone.

And he still has 8 bubblegum.
Last edited September 22, 2015 9:45 am

Rolls

Mundane roll vs 8 gum - (1d10)

(6) = 6

Sep 22, 2015 11:03 am
Rolling his eyes, Ben attempts to wade through the sea of moms to get to the BlendTecs.

Rolls

Mundane roll. - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Sep 23, 2015 2:22 am
Gus, you are now in control of the drone, but you cannot see Vanessa in the sea of people. She must have entered a crowd.

Ben, you make your way past each of the moms without incident, and you are standing near the pallet display of BlendTecs.

At that moment, a loud horn blares throughout the mall signaling that the sales have OFFICIALLY started, and people begin to shriek, whoop, and shout. The crowds begin to surge and press forward towards the deals. Daisuke, Sammy, and Gus Gus are all violently shoved and jostled as the people around them press towards Omega Electronics, and you are all at risk of being trampled if you don't act quickly.
Ben, you see that the BlendTec display disappears in literal seconds, as hundreds of hands reach, punch, and grab for them in mere moments. A single BlendTec remains as it was knocked off of the display in the struggle, but you can see an overweight woman lunging for it. She has a huge lead on you, and will definitely get there before you unless drastic measures are taken.

What do you do?
Sep 23, 2015 3:42 am
Gus Gus, who doesn't really care about the sales, sees that Sammy might get trampled and tries to catch her and move them both with the flow of the crowd into the store. Gus Gus knows that she's effectively his only cover (aside from the crowd) - the FBI has no reason to be looking for her, and since he has no known female associates, they won't be looking for him with a girl. So he's reluctant to be parted from her. Besides, it seems a gallant gesture.

Rolls

Mundane roll to move with the crowd (vs 8) - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Sep 23, 2015 4:09 am
Sammy, filled with an intense white-hot rage after seeing her man, Brensen, with that...that...that...BITCH! Suddenly, as she is being moved through the crowd she grabs Gino and lifts him, as though he were as light as a feather. All of those years as captain of the Lacrosse team has paid off, as she shoulders her way through the crowd that once had formed the line they were standing in. She throws elbows and checks as though she was in a roller derby league. Not unlike the one she co-chairs on Friday nights.
Last edited September 23, 2015 4:10 am

Rolls

Hopefully Badass Elbowing and Checking Through Crowd vs. 8 - (1d10)

(3) = 3

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.