Game Play: Welcome to White Oak

Sep 21, 2015 1:51 am
You can hear the noise of the place before you even open the door. People laughing, plates and utensils being bandied about, and a barmaid yelling out the latest order. As you walk in the people go about their business, hardly paying any attention to you; until they notice Valrakas. The once din filled room falls to an eventual hush. A few spoons hit tables and more than one patron stares unabashedly at the hulking figure before averting their eyes.

"MIND YOURS!" yells the barmaid in a thunderous voice that somehow manages to project itself from such a tiny woman. The others slowly return to whatever it was they were doing as the frail woman approaches your group. "You'll have to forgive them, Friend. While many an interesting individual has stopped for a meal here while traveling the Fairgrave Trail, I don't think a one of these folks have ever met a minotaur before." Motioning towards an empty table she says, "Why don't you boys have a seat and I'll be by in a minute. Just remember; travelers have to pay before they eat."

szemely sent a note to Merlin
szemely sent a note to spaceseeker19
Sep 22, 2015 11:20 pm
Vex climbs up on his chair and sighs as he realizes that his head barely reaches over the tabletop. He is short, even for a gnome, barely topping three feet, and his unruly mop of black hair sticks out in tufts, as if he's never had a chance to brush it out. He decides to stand on the chair instead, until the barmaid can come back and get him a taller chair. He carries a shortsword on one hip, a crossbow slung on his back, and his shield, which has a poorly drawn lightning bolt painted onto it.

He pats his belt pouch, which barely even jingles as he does so and sighs again, "I hope I got enough money to pay for my grub today, gonna have to find me some money here soon," he wears the symbol of the Storm Lord - a lightning bolt over a crashing wave - on him as a priest might, but he speaks more like someone raised on the streets; which, as a matter of fact, he was.
Sep 23, 2015 3:41 am
(Ooc: sorry, just read the game intro - I assumed we didn't know each other. Modified post below)

A tall elf enters the inn, and pauses momentarily as he assesses the scene. He truly hates these unruly abodes the dwarves and humans hang around in, but he knows that if work is to be found this is the place to be. He sees the Minotaur and thinks, *we really need to find a way to make him less, er, obvious in places like this*.

Moving elegantly towards the bar, he notices the huge man behind the counter. *bar keep maybe?* He smirks at the pathetic gnome climbing on a chair. *why would Vex want to do that? Just drawing attention to himself, not a good idea in a place like this... But I guess dressed like that, attention he'll get*

He gestures the barkeep fully expecting immediate attention. The elf is dressed in traveling robes, a mixture of grey and green, and his hair is black and unruly. He casually surveys Val the Minotaur (as he likes to call him) wondering if he can recall important facts about such creatures.
Last edited September 24, 2015 2:26 am

Rolls

Insight about minotaur - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Sep 23, 2015 4:39 am
Knowing that the four of them are tired and barely have enough money, pooled, for food & drink, the brown-skinned elf Erevior drops his pack next to Vex's chair with a clang, puts a foot up on the adjacent chair, and starts to play with adufe drum...softly at first, to get a sense of the crowd. He is concerned:

"The crowd seems boisterous, but everyone looks drawn, and the food portions are meager. Does this mean that the villagers are as poor as we are?" He worries for a moment, and then: "No, the tavern is filled with people; they wouldn't be here if they didn't have coin. Something else has happened...is it a plague, or some other setback, something they're worried about? Hmm. Perhaps there's some opportunity for adventure here after all..."

Sensing opportunity to influence the crowd, preparing them for employment inquiries or offers to smite bad guys, Erevior speaks loudly to the room in a voice that I imagine is vaguely Caribbean: "How about a little music? Do you have any requests? I am Erevior the Wanderer! Erevior has traveled far, and Erevior knows many songs - songs known and unknown! Would you like a song to get your feet to dancing?" - here he plays a fast samba rhythm on the adufe - "Or a song to honor heroes fallen in battle?" - here he plays a slow tempo march. He waits to see if he gets any requests, and will note anyone who reacts to his performance, trying to remember them as someone they might approach for news/rumors/requests for help.

OOC: This is Erevior's typical way of ingratiating himself with a group - sort of like someone with more money would do by buying everyone a drink.

Rolls

Performance (+3 WIS and drum proficiency) - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Sep 23, 2015 10:54 pm
Cyriel: Your gesture to the barkeep goes unnoticed as his attention is clearly drawn to Valrakas. He doesn’t appear scared of your companion - just curious. You’ve heard the stories and talked to many people who have encountered minotaurs in their liars, only to be lucky to escape with their lives. Valrakas is clearly an exception to the tales that you’ve heard; well, other the extreme temper, of course - if all minotaurs have a temper like his the people you've met who have claimed to have escaped are probably lying.

Vex: A few people find amusement in your struggle with the chair, but it’s light hearted sympathy more than anything nasty. Luckily your predicament has given you the best seat in the house for Erevior’s performance!

Erevior: At first the patrons appear a bit startled as your voice rings out but their excitement quickly builds as you play a few samples on your adufe. They appear to be hesitant to suggest a song, but as soon as someone makes a suggestion, the others quickly follow. "Do Paved Trail to Hades" - "I wanna hear Color it Onyx". Getting a feeling for the crowd you announce your intention to play a different take on one of your favorites - Inclined Pathway to Paradise.

The crowd thoroughly enjoys your unique take on the classics that they’ve suggested. A few even manage to throw a copper or two your way in the process but most just lose themselves in the entertainment. After you’ve finished several people come up to tell you of their appreciation and how that they’ve love to see you back "when things are better".

During the performance both you and Cyriel notice the barmaid chatting with a huge man behind the counter. Afterwards she approaches the table.

"We haven’t had any type of entertainment in quite some time. Unfortunately things have been tough on us here in White Oak and there’s not a lot of tips to be made from us locals. Still, Bob and I would like to show our appreciation. Your meals are on the house! Pretty standard grub, unfortunately, but until we get this Pict thing sorted out, that’s the way it’s going to be for all of us."
Sep 23, 2015 11:19 pm
"Thank you, your generosity most appreciated."

Erevior takes a long draught of his drink. Inclined Pathway to Paradise always leaves him thirsty. After he's eaten a little, drank a little more, he'll wait for her return to the table and then ask:

"Pict thing?" (exchanging a meaningful glance with the others) "What Pict thing?"
Last edited September 23, 2015 11:20 pm
Sep 24, 2015 2:06 am
Cyriel waits for the barkeep to notice him. He rolls his eyes when he notices the barkeep seems more interested in the Minotaur. Then Erevoir starts singing songs and he realizes getting a drink isn't going to be easy. When the bar maid approaches their table he sees his opportunity and returns to the table just in time to hear her offer."Are the drinks on the house too? I've been ignored at the bar for ages" he notes arrogantly.

When Erevoir asks about the "pict thing", Cyriel ponders that thought. *Sounds like we should know, based on how she's talking*. Cyriel tries to recall facts. Not wanting to appear stupid (he can allow Erevoir that honor) Cyriel decides to sagely wait for the answer.
Last edited September 24, 2015 3:11 am

Rolls

Insight -Pict??? - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Sep 24, 2015 2:14 am
"Eh, 'Pict' thing? What's a Pict?" Vex will ask the barmaid.

Vex is a gnome :)
Sep 24, 2015 3:10 am
My bad - corrected now
Sep 24, 2015 3:39 pm
Valrakas is quite used to it by now. Enjoys it, actually: the sudden hush whenever he enters a room, followed by the fearful stares. And anyone who stares without fear are promptly shown what’s what. The former-pirate has built up a bad reputation in port towns up and down the coast, and with good reason. Valrakas is 7 feet tall and 450 pounds of ill-tempered aggression. And drunken laughter. And bawdy jokes, tall tales, and lustful songs. He's actually a pretty decent sonuvabitch as long as you don't get on his bad side. It's best to buy the bastard a drink. Or a few.

On this foray inland Valrakas has taken up with pretty diverse company. He has taken a particular liking to the Vex, the little gnome, and Erevior the musician seems able to soothe the minotaur's worst tempers. Even the haughty Cyriel has earned his respect.

The group’s arrival here at the Broken Spoon has so far gone as well as could be expected. Valrakas downs what he hopes is only the first of many tankards of ale while enjoying Erevior’s unusual rendition of "Inclined Pathway to Paradise". His ears prick up when the barmaid announces their meal will be on the house. "On t’ house, ye say? Less ‘ave ‘nuther ale, then!" he says with a grin.
Last edited September 25, 2015 2:41 pm

Rolls

Intelligence check - what does Valrakas know about Picts? - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Sep 24, 2015 9:19 pm
After many years of working in the tavern the woman is no stranger to handling rude customers. Without breaking eye contact with Cyriel she bellows "Bob! One watered down ale for the elf here. ON THE HOUSE!!" she then turns quickly to retrieve everyone's meal as the man behind the counter lets out a loud laugh.
szemely sent a note to Merlin
szemely sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
As you eat your meals the woman works her way around the tavern checking in on the other customers and chatting here and there with a few of them. She stops by your table with a small box for Vex - "Might be a bit more comfortable with this on the chair", and an extra mug of Ale for Valrakas. You then ask what she was referring to when she mentioned the 'pict problem'.

"Damned Picts!!" she spits as she lets out a heavy sigh. "For generations they've kept to their side of the river and we've kept to ours. You'd hardly ever see them. Maybe a young one peeking out across from the far bank once every so often as we worked the fields but that's been about it."

One of the customers at the next table overhears the conversation and turns in his chair towards the group. The man, like the others in the tavern is gaunt in appearance and probably not nearly as old as he appears, politely waits for the woman to finish before jumping in. "Late last year, just before harvest, we started noticing tracks in the fields and some damage to the crops closest to the river. We had a traveler help identify the tracks. Gobos! The Picts had started crossing the river and messing with our crops. The damage wasn't too bad at first but then they started in with burning. We tried stopping them, sending a few men out into the fields at night with pitchforks and such, but them little gobos are quick and sneaky; wiped half our harvest last year. Made for a tough winter."

He reaches back to his table and grabs his drink before continuing. "In the spring they started getting bolder. Slinging rocks and firing arrows and such as we tried to plant near the river. Anything that managed to start growing was stomped down and destroyed during the evenings. Again, we tried to stop them, but..." he pauses as he stares into his drink "well, like I said, it was a tough winter. Those of us that may have been able to fight were in no shape by then. Now they've been prowling around the village at night, killing off chickens, stealing things and the like - and we can't stop them."
Sep 24, 2015 9:32 pm
Getting impatient now, Cyriel says, "OK, great story, but please humor us and tell us what a Pict and Gobo is?"
Sep 24, 2015 9:38 pm
"Only great if you don't have to live it." snaps the man. "Goblins, from the Pict Woods, on the other side of the river."
Sep 24, 2015 11:20 pm
"Aha! I thought so!"Cyriel snaps his fingers with enthusiasm. "Well, do you need help?"
Sep 25, 2015 12:16 am
Vex smiles and gives the barmaid a quick thanks for the box.

"Goblins about, eh?? And in need of some divine smiting? Count me in!" Vex perks up at the thought of bringing down the thunder on some pesky goblins.
Last edited September 25, 2015 12:16 am
Sep 25, 2015 12:26 am
"Mebbe we should dress Cyriel up as a chicken and hope they try t' take 'im. Hahaha!" Valrakas laughs at his own jest - a deep bellow that would put any tavern drunk right at ease, and give any child nightmares for days.
Last edited September 25, 2015 2:37 pm
Sep 25, 2015 2:21 am
Cyriel looks impassively at Valrakas..."I don't get it? Does anyone think that's funny? I really don't get it. Why would I dress as a chicken? What would that achieve?"
Sep 25, 2015 2:43 am
Vex chuckles, always amused by the interplay between the crude, and often silly, Valrakas and the often serious Cyriel.
Sep 25, 2015 3:31 am
Cyriel glares at Vex now. "You think it's funny too? I know goblins are stupid, but I really don't think an elf in a chicken costume will fool them. Some sort of illusion may be better."
Sep 25, 2015 3:40 am
"Oh, lighten up Cyriel, it was simply a joke, nothing to get upset over. Where would we find a chicken costume anyway?" he says to the party, "Well, I have some minor skill in illusion magics if you think it would help"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.