Rohit's Giving Tuesday (12/4/18)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 4, 2018 12:43 am
For a bit now, in part thanks to the fact that I have a good job and savings, and in part because my immigration situation penalizes me for doing well, I've found myself donating to a bunch of causes, from charities to "go fund me" kinda things. I have money to spare, and there are people out there who deserve it or need it. So with Giving Tuesday having just ended, I decided I'm gonna do this consistently.

Every Monday evening (that I remember), I'm going to put up a thread like this, and take suggestions for charities, organizations, creators, background folks who go unrecognized, people in need, etc, and Tuesday evening, I'll donate $25 to them.

Guidelines:
- They need to have some means of me getting them money in a secure fashion, be it a direct donation link, a donation service (Patreon or the like), etc. I won't mail checks, I won't hand off cash.
- I won't do Kickstarters unless that Kickstarter is for a cause. This means I don't support a KS for a product, but if there's a KS for someone trying to build solar farms for rural villages in third world countries, I'll consider it.
- It has to be something I can personally support. It is my money after all, I'm just looking to find more places to put it. If the organization has a goal or a process I don't agree with, I won't donate to them.
- I will do research on the entity as much as possible, including checking if they have records of finances and how they're spent. For example, I'm not giving money to a charity where a significant portion of it goes to overhead.

I'll donate to a different entity each week, unless we really run low on options, in which case I'll double up. You can submit yourself for the donation; if you're doing something that deserves recognition, this is your chance to ask for it.

To submit, give me the entity's:
- Name
- Link to content
- Where I can donate
- Why you think they deserve a donation
- If you'd like to be credited for the donation

If you don't feel like making the entry publicly, you're welcome to email me at contact@gamersplane.com and put "Giving Tuesday (12/4/18)" in the subject.

This is entirely a personal undertaking, in no way connected to Gamers' Plane. I may choose to end it or modify it at any time, without notice. Please don't give me reason to?
Dec 4, 2018 12:58 am
Child’s Play
https://childsplaycharity.org

https://childsplaycharity.org/donate

They buy toys and video games for sick kids stuck in hospital. As a gamer, I can’t think of anything cooler.

No need to be credited (I’ve raised money for them in the past)
Dec 4, 2018 1:37 am
Sean Kimerling Testicular Cancer Foundation (SKTCF)

Link (there is a donate option on the front page).

Men's issues are issues too.

No need to be credited.

Zero

Link (once again a donate option on the front page).

Again, men's issues are real issues.

Again, no need to be credited.

Gay Men’s Health Crisis (GMHC)

Link (once again donate option on the front page)

...I think you're starting to see a pattern here...

No need to be credited.
Last edited December 4, 2018 1:37 am
Dec 4, 2018 1:40 am
American Prostate Cancer Foundation

Link (option to donate on front page)

Yeah, okay, I'll just stop...

No need to be credited.

Len

Dec 4, 2018 3:59 pm
I was thinking it might be satisfying to give to a local charity in your neighborhood. I don't know where you live, but if it is an urban center then there are probably community centers and other organizations doing toy drives for underprivileged kids. Might be fun to buy a toy or game and donate it. You could buy a D&D starter set and put a slip of paper inside with a link to gamersplane and if the recipient showed up I promise I'll run a game for them or play in a game they run!

Maybe that's a bit creepy? Haha!

A local food bank is also a great choice. Cash is so much better for food banks than donating cans, since the food bank can use the money on fresh food and get better deals. They make the same value stretch much further.

Thanks for being a good human being and being an inspiration!
Dec 4, 2018 4:04 pm
Lenpelletier:

To be clear, this is in addition to my usual charitable givings. I do usually donate to local causes, and I do volunteer work. The purpose of this is to get more help to more groups outside my local area, be it a charity who helps people, or someone who's doing good work and deserves the recognition for it.
Dec 4, 2018 6:30 pm
Heart and Stroke Foundation

Link (option to donate on front page)

I do volunteer door to door for them every October-November, so I'm pretty familiar with this organization. And with the spending report I receive a few months after my volunteering work, I can see they are pretty transparent about their spending, so yeah, I can vouch for how legit they are. in addition, heart diseases kill more people each year than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined. So yeah, I feel like this is a good charity to donate to.

No need to credit me for the donation.
Last edited December 4, 2018 6:30 pm

Len

Dec 4, 2018 6:42 pm
Gotcha! Sorry for misunderstanding the premise :)

In that case, may I suggest True North Aid, a registered Canadian charity that raises money for aboriginal issues in Canada. Despite Canada's national image as a peaceful, multicultural nation, Canada has historically (and continues to this day) treated its First People really badly. So badly that, when South Africa created its famously racist apartheid system, they based their model after Canada's Indian Act. To this day, Canadian aboriginal communities struggle with this legacy of this systematic abuse, neglect, and cultural elimination.

Here is their about page which goes into more detail about issues and how they spend the money.

Thanks for considering it! Please don't credit me.
Dec 4, 2018 10:21 pm
Prostate Cancer Canade

Basically the Canadian equivalent of the American Prostate Cancer Foundation. (option to donate on front page)

Since it is the Canadian equivalent of the American Prostate Cancer Foundation, my reasons are pretty much the same as for this organization...

No need to credit me with the donation.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.