Interest Check: Burning Wheel

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 4, 2018 6:43 pm
Hello Gamersplaners!

I don't know about you, but I've got the itch for some Burning Wheel.

Prior experience with the system is not required, but is preferred. And a willingness to download, and to read, and to learn as we go (from the Hub and Spokes, it's free), if you're not familiar with it, is required.

Here's what I'm thinking for a "big picture":
Quote:
An agrarian village has been undergoing some rapid and significant changes... An iron mine opened up on the cliffs outside of town perhaps a year ago, and now they've built a foundry within town. This growth has brought in many new residents, and with them many new cultures...

And while some of the original residents have benefitted from this growth, most have not. A strange illness has spread through town, and now a pestilence is laying waste to the fields!

As a result, many villagers have taken to worshipping an old and vengeful god, in hopes that it will sooth what they think must surely be Her wrath, for failing to uphold the Old Gods and their old ways more strongly in the face of these changes.

Now there are multiple accounts of a demon stalking the roads and country side, and there is a rapidly growing fear surrounding that.

This once-peaceful and simple town is descending into seeming chaos and madness, what can be done!?
The setting would be a low-fantasy, medieval "Euro-ish" world which we would be free to define more. The game would begin with the PCs on the scene of the most recent demon sighting, to investigate.

So those are the circumstances and considerations that should frame your character concepts, Beliefs, and Instincts. I'm thinking Man Stock only, 4 or 5 LPs, Faith, Sorcery, firearms, all allowed and possibly even some content from the Codex?

So yeah, I already have two interested players from another game, anyone else out there want in on something like this?
Dec 4, 2018 9:40 pm
I've always wanted to try Burning Wheel (I have Mouse Guard, but have yet to play).

If no one else takes you up on the offer and you need one more I'd love to try it out.
Dec 4, 2018 10:03 pm
Great! I'd like to have a minimum of 4 players, so all we need is one more brave soul.

One thing; the Hub n Spokes doesn't have the Life Path stuff, so for that you will have to use this wonderful browser-based character creator, Charred.

I'd start poking around on it now, as you read the Hub, and if/when we hit critical mass, I'll kick up a game forum and we'll have a greater conversation about character creation.
Dec 4, 2018 10:54 pm
Is the 'Hubs and Spokes' download just the first part of the Burning Wheel Gold book?
Dec 4, 2018 10:58 pm
Yea. The first, like, 72 pages or something. Essentially it's the basic ruleset and guidance.
Dec 5, 2018 4:38 am
I'm in. I'd love to be able to use the Codex, too, though I don't have a specific request. I'll need to ponder a character more...
Dec 5, 2018 5:04 am
As said before in MG, I'm in. I downloaded Hub and Spokes and I'll see about concepts when we get into it.
Dec 8, 2018 6:17 pm
I've been wanting to try out Burning Wheel for a while, and your premise looks intriguing. I've read the Hubs and Spokes and played some other RPGs (Numenera, Invisible Sun, D&D 5e, Dungeon World, etc.). Do you have room for a new player?
Dec 8, 2018 6:34 pm
Hey Carillon!

With Shark, Qralloq, boufan, and YOU, that's pretty much the minimum critical mass I would want to give it a go.

I'll put together the game page and forum and we'll give it a go!
Dec 8, 2018 7:13 pm
Demons lives matter!
Jan 18, 2019 6:15 pm
Would you guys mind a lurker? I'd love to see what you guys come up with and maybe share a BW tip or two.
Jan 18, 2019 6:30 pm
The game went bottom-up pretty much immediately.

It's been retired.
Jan 18, 2019 6:36 pm
Sorry to hear it. It is just hard to keep a game going.
Jan 18, 2019 6:48 pm
We didn't even get through character burning.

Trying to start it right before the holidays was a bad idea, but also I think the system doesn't work for PbP unless all involved are familiar with it already. It's just too much to get off the ground.
Jan 18, 2019 7:05 pm
I suspect you are right there. Ah well, hope springs eternal. Perhaps another time.
Jan 18, 2019 7:19 pm
I'm done with trying to GM it, but I'd play :)

Seems to be about everyone's stance tho.
Jan 18, 2019 7:22 pm
If I had more time I'd be tempted to give it a go but as it is I barely have the time to play in games.
Jan 22, 2019 5:04 pm
Tempted to step in here to GM... barely played and never GM'd it, but I'm down to open the discussion again.
Jan 22, 2019 5:46 pm
It was basically as we played your Mouse Guard game that I really got the desire to try BW again, Simkin. And I actually started up GMing my first IRL game after that too for my weekly IRL group, and found the Mouse Guard gameplay structure of "Player Turn", "GM Turn", Player Turn, GM... and so on, to work really well in BW campaign premise we arrived at too. Which I'd never at all thought of looking at it that way before...

But I found I just didn't have the bandwidth in my life to help ppl who didn't have much experience in the system with character/Belief creation when I got this effort going.

There always seems to be an audience for it however, here at GP. And really I think it's a great system for PbP so long as you don't get into the more advanced conflict resolution systems.

As mentioned I'd totally be down to play if you decided to go for it.
Jan 22, 2019 5:53 pm
I'll have to do some soul-searching and possibly put some prerequisites on the play... For instance, I'd probably require the following:

1. Ownership of the physical copy of the Gold Edition
2. HAVING READ THE BOOK AT LEAST
3. People able to generate their own characters ON THEIR OWN
4. I do the world-building. Too much can get lost in the play by post world-building which kills momentum...

We'd need a swift start and an immediate dive into good roleplaying to get people excited about their characters prior to any actual mechanical posting such as combat or duel of wits...

Thoughts any / everyone?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.