New World of Darkness

Jan 4, 2019 4:19 am
I am just wondering how many other people on the site are familiar with World of Darkness, more specifically the New World of Darkness line? Vampire the Requiem, Werewolf the Forsaken, Changeling the Lost, Mage the Awakening and so on? Is there much of a fan base out there? If so what is your favourite game line? This is a particular game line that I am very comfortable with since for the most part I have been playing and running in these games for almost a decade now.
Jan 4, 2019 4:28 am
I ran a CtL campaign IRL for two years, and included a small bit of MtA in that. I quite like the system changes from nWoD as compared to oWoD. Haven't had any exposure to Requiem or Forsaken.
Jan 4, 2019 4:52 am
Really? See that's interesting. Most people tend to get exposed to those two first then move into the others. This is a great intro to Vampire the Requiem but it is really character driven and focuses on personal horror. Werewolf the Forsaken, well that's all about the pack, the spirit world and the hunt.
Jan 4, 2019 5:42 am
I used the old World of Darkness rules to run a game that was nothing like the games you've all mentioned above. My game focused on a small group of hunters in Canada whose small plane went down in the Rockies when an EMP struck worldwide. They didn't know what it was but they had to learn to work together to survive and find their way to whatever was left of civilization. My inspiration for the game was S. M. Stirling's series The Change. I'm afraid I've never really gotten into any of the Vampire or Werewolf games.
Jan 4, 2019 6:45 am
Still a very interesting concept for a game!
Jan 4, 2019 1:52 pm
I've always wanted to try vampire. I used to play the card game back in the day. I hear they are re-releasing it.
Jan 4, 2019 5:29 pm
I played and absolutely loved CtL years ago, and actually just ordered VtR 2e from Onyx Path... seems they’ve redesigned some seriously broken elements and cleaned some stuff up, and the game runs better for it. I’d be all in on a vampire or changeling game, I really miss rolling stacks of d10s.
Jan 4, 2019 6:21 pm
Are we talking World of Darkness or Chronicles of Darkness (aka 2nd Edition of the new versions, the Changeling The Lost 2e just started shipping out to kickstarter people. (my friends got theirs, I haven't gotten mine yet.... )
Jan 4, 2019 6:24 pm
I'm running a Mage the Awakening (1st ed) game at the moment. Super fun!
Jan 4, 2019 9:47 pm
Either or regarding the editions really. I am more interested in finding out what the community is like here. I will agree that 2e is a lot more streamlined. The only thing I dont enjoy is the changes they made to Auspex as part of VTR 2e. Also Mage is awesome but it just never really clicked for me outside a Stargate inspired world spanning story idea I had. Has anyone had much exposure to werewolf?
Jan 5, 2019 12:38 am
I've played and ran Old World of Darkness Werewolf: The Apocalypse (including playing in a 4e/W20 game here), have have zero experience with WtF.
Jan 5, 2019 12:40 am
The_Librarian says:
Are we talking World of Darkness or Chronicles of Darkness (aka 2nd Edition of the new versions, the Changeling The Lost 2e just started shipping out to kickstarter people. (my friends got theirs, I haven't gotten mine yet.... )
Can’t believe I missed this one on kickstarter. Looking forward to ordering it!

No experience with WtF for me.
Last edited January 5, 2019 12:41 am
Jan 5, 2019 3:00 am
I remember Werewolf: The Apocalypse but I've never heard of Werewolf the Forsaken. Is there a difference? WtA is from White Wolf Games as is WtF so I'm thinking the newer one is a reboot of WtA. How far off am I?
Jan 5, 2019 3:43 am
The "new" world of Darkness took the concepts from classic World of Darkness, and tweaked the system - still uses d10 dice pools, but with an altered difficulty, or target number for "successes". However, they also reset the whole lore. For example, Vampire: The Requiem shares many concepts with the earlier Vampire: The Masquerade (clans, disciplines, some terminology, etc.) but the in-game backstory is completely different.
Jan 5, 2019 3:59 am
The difference between WtA and WtF is just as stark. Here's a section from the book that basically outlines WtF's deal.

Werewolves have an oral history, passing stories and legends through packs, protectorates, and tribes. While that’s a wonderful tool for keeping their culture alive, it does mean that when fact and narrative conflict, fact falls by the wayside. Even so, almost every werewolf hears at least one tale of the time before, and how the Forsaken lost paradise. Just as many cultures and religions have a myth of the flood or the myth of how humans gained forbidden knowledge, werewolf history has a common theme. The worlds of Flesh and Spirit used to be so close that one could touch the other, then the werewolves came and brought ruin upon it. Among the Forsaken, this typically bears a lesson along the lines of "they fucked up so now we have to do better." The common elements of these stories come together to tell of the Sundering.

Once, the People could run and hunt through thin places and Border Marches, flickering between worlds in an instant. Father Wolf maintained the balance through predation, hunting spirits when they grew too bold in crossing the borders of flesh, thinning the herd of humanity when it threatened to produce too much Essence and warring against other great spirits who would exploit the border for themselves — progenitors of the Hosts his descendants still hunt.

The Forsaken call the vanished world before the Sundering "Pangaea," and describe it as a universe where spirit and flesh could more freely commingle. Humans could wander into the quiet places of the world and cross the Border Marches into the Shadow, while spirits could freely enter the world of flesh to gather Essence. The Sundering — the end of Pangaea, and the great crime of the People — began with love.

Luna, Amahan Iduth, was the warding moon, the great Ilusah casting light into the darkness, protecting the earthly Shadow from the chaotic spirits of the void ahead of her army of Lunes. The Wolf, Urfarah, was the spirit of hunting, forever watching over the Border Marches with his brood of lesser wolf spirits and harrying those crossing between worlds. They were the two greatest guardian spirits in the Shadow, each preserving existence in their own way. How could they not fall in love? Cahalith often call Moon "Mother Luna" and Wolf "Father Wolf," but in truth they were both spirits, beholden to no single gender or shape. The Moon’s ever-changing, protean nature merged with the Wolf’s guardianship of the borders, pack instinct, and predatory urge to create the People. Bound to the earth, unable to rise to the skies, the first werewolves joined Wolf’s pack and received their "mother’s" Gifts by way of Lunes.

Cahalith make many claims as to why Wolf began to weaken. Some say the effort of creating the werewolves somehow diminished him, or maintaining such a large brood of spirits and half-spirits reduced his Essence. Only the outcome matters — the god of the Border Marches grew slow and weak, and both worlds suffered for it. Spirits set themselves up as deities among human tribes, and the progenitors of the Hosts escaped total destruction by shattering themselves into too many pieces for Wolf to catch.

As wolves, the Uratha and their wolf spirit cousins knew that strong young hunters must replace a weak pack elder. Like all spirits, Urfarah had a ban and a bane — his ban was to not defend himself against a killing blow if challenged by those who could replace him, and his bane was the teeth of his children. Only a killing blow would do, and so the Uratha — and five of the greatest wolf spirits — went for Urfarah’s throat. His death howl shattered the Border Marches, killing everything inside and raising a Gauntlet between the worlds. Flesh and Spirit were divided. Luna saw what Wolf’s offspring had done, and cursed them with madness and to burn at the touch of silver. The Sundering still divides the People. Those who believe killing Urfarah was a mistake follow the wolf spirits who did not take part in the murder. They call themselves "Pure" and follow the diktats of their inhuman masters. Those who take up Father Wolf’s role, and have pledged to Luna that they will follow their creator’s duty in guarding the divide between Spirit and Flesh, call themselves "Forsaken."

Basically, though you spend your days hunting the worst kinds of nightmare fuel, including but not limited to:

- Ancient and completely insane spirits, who want nothing more than to feast on humanity and your flesh to maintain their twisted existence, after their representation in the flesh was destroyed.
- Creatures called hosts, that eventually grow into rat or spider hybrids. Fun fact, these things start by forcefully entering a human's body and eating their heart or brain before undergoing hybridisation.
- Humans that have become possessed by spirits. Ever wonder what happens when a spirit of terror possess a child? No? What about a storm spirit inhabiting a frail human body? Still no? Well buckle up thats a normal Tuesday night.

That is all before you add tending the spiritual well being of your territory on both sides of the Gauntlet (barrier between the worlds) to ensure that things like wounds don't grow into being and release the Maeljin into the world (Malicious spirit lords that grow fat on the suffering that takes place in the world). Still not enough? Well, then you have the politics of the Werewolf pack and wider community. How do you balance your responsibilities to your pack, your tribe and your lodge? Still have friends and family assuming you didn't eat them during the first change? Well, then you have to work out a way to get them into the mix as well and keep them safe from all the horrors that would send them screaming into the night. Finally, you have the insignificant matter of a werewolf civil war and guess what? You're on the losing side.
Last edited January 5, 2019 4:25 am
Jan 5, 2019 4:28 am
I was a bit of a werewolf guy on my old forum since it was so much more active than vampire from a GM point of view and had so much going on. The good news is to balance all of this out, werewolves are the most physically powerful creatures in the New World of Darkness and their regenerative abilities make them almost impossible to keep down. They are also given powerful spiritual allies and powers in the form of gifts.
Jan 5, 2019 7:07 am
It seems like they made up an entirely new world for the Werewolves. The thing I liked best about the old Werewolves was that they were part of our real world and had just been hiding in the shadows just to survive. It was up to the players to figure out how to adjust to their place in the world and how to work effectively to survive it. Seemed to me to be an easier game to learn and play.

And that's what I liked about the old World of Darkness rules. The differences between those rules and what I was brought up on (D&D 1e) were not that difficult to digest. And like everything new, it's so much more difficult to understand and to learn how to deal with. It's just like everything else in this world. People have to made things new and so much more difficult merely to justify their jobs. After all, what would they be doing working at a game company if they weren't doing that?
Jan 5, 2019 9:04 am
The new werewolf is still very much working out how to fit in a mundane world when you are supernatural. When something as simple as the morning traffic can make you turn into a 9 foot killing machine made of teeth and fur, its something you need to consider. All nWoD gamelines have similar conflicts. I take your point about systems though. It takes me a minute to pick up anything that isnt nWoD since that is what I started on.
Jan 8, 2019 9:28 am
For anyone wanting to check out Werewolf, I did have an idea for a campaign a while ago. The elevator pitch is that the Forsaken were driven out of the city of Newcastle in England (not the one you're thinking of) by the Pure but then they just appear to have up and left the city. The players are all newly turned Forsaken in the city and are very close to the only ones in the city. I don't want to say too much more than that since it might give some stuff away but lets just say the campaign focuses on reclaiming the city and turning it back into something habitable. Basically, everything that goes bump in the night for a werewolf has a place in this city.

The chronicle combines a few different published resources (the city comes from the Damnation City, much of the background information for the Forsaken society comes from the Shadows of the UK and finally the grain of sand that I build the campaign around come from War Against the Pure).
Last edited January 8, 2019 9:32 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.