Who are you and whaddaya want?

Sep 29, 2015 9:27 pm
Introduce your characters and their goal(s) here. Why are you on the train headed west?
Sep 29, 2015 11:04 pm
Here's two examples (who may show up as NPCs):

Name: Chhun Hsien
Who am I? I am a Confucian warlock, sent from the Imperial Court to retrieve Light of the Summer Moon, a princess who ran off with a commoner, Yang Tong. I have tracked their path across the oceans to the United States, where Yang worked on the railroad. Yang was killed in a drunken brawl in St. Louis, and Light of the Summer Moon had been sold to a brothel before I found her, her honor sullied. She reacted to my arrival with bitterness, scorn, and no desire to return to China. With a heavy heart, I have decided to return to the Emperor to let him know that Light of the Summer Moon has been irretrievably lost.

What do I want? While in the United States, I have been mistaken for a "coolie" several times, and white barbarians routinely garble my name as "Chop Sing." This, combined with my failure to retrieve the princess intact, has left me with a short temper. I just want to be left alone, and get back to the ship to China in San Francisco without incident.

-----------------------
Name: Persimmon Flagella
Who am I? I married a rich Italian count when I was 16. He died within two years of "natural causes," and I have spent the last few years enjoying my status as a beautiful rich young widow by traveling the world. I've grown tired of New York, and the South, still recovering from the war, has held little charm. Enchanted by romantic tales of the West, I have decided to head out to Denver...which has nothing to do with its remote location and distance from a recent scandal in Chicago...

What do I want? I am seeking entertainment, and also refuge from Pinkerton investigators.
Sep 30, 2015 7:31 am
At the moment I'm trying to decide between Saul Balsam, snake oil salesman, here to make some money, and Buford Bolles, outlaw, here to rob this here train! Probably going with the salesman. :-D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ff/eb/ee/ffebee06188ae557f5a633c81add4951.jpghttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/0b/9e/a8/0b9ea8f0d291cfa397780a6164366854.jpg
Last edited September 30, 2015 9:53 am
Oct 1, 2015 7:43 am
Could be that one has a goal related to the other. Say, for instance, the Saul has a grudge against Buford (who may have robbed him before, or shot someone dear to him), and knows Buford's on the train. He's trying to make money and get back at Buford...?
Oct 1, 2015 8:14 am
Haha I like it! Anyone is free to use Buford, by the way! :-)
Oct 1, 2015 10:56 am
Oh perfect! I'll throw my own twist on him (well, maybe her ;)) but I've been drawing a total blank on a character idea for this. The premise of the character, and the link to yours, will be preserved (on the train to rob it, crossed Saul in the past).
Oct 1, 2015 11:11 am
Name: Ezekiel "Tombstone" Johnson

Who am I: Former sheriff of a small town near the Texas/Mexico border. When I took up my privileged position as sheriff of the fine town of El Gordo, it was truly a wild and unpleasant place, overrun with ruffians and banditos. Now the last four sheriffs had all been either killed or run off, so I was hired as a last ditch effort by the desperate townfolk, and boy howdy were they glad at the results I provided. I cleaned up that town nice and quick like, and we done enjoyed the last few years in peace and tranquility. I may not be much for fancy words, but ain't nobody in Texas shoots as quick or as straight as me, and if you don't believe it you can visit the tombstones of all those bad boys who ain't botherin the fine folks of El Gordo no more. There's a reason they call me Tombstone, after all.

What do I want: I recently received a letter from my dearest Daddy, who claims to have found gold in them there hills of California. He has urged me to join him and rake in the riches before other potential prospectors are alerted to the opportunities that await and rush on out there. I have left my beloved town of El Gordo in the hands of my deputy and protege William Wallace Stevenson, and set out by train to meet my father in the city of San Francisco.
Oct 1, 2015 5:21 pm
Name: I am Frank Elmore

Who am I?
"Hi, I'm Frank! Haven't you heard of me? No? I'm Frank! World renowned researcher into the strange and unknown! Still no? Hmmm... Hi, I'm Frank! Haven't you heard of me? No? I'm Frank! World renowned...."

What do I want?
I am looking into reports of a massive dust-bunny nest aboard the train, possibly the source of all dust-bunnies in the world. If I can find and stop it I will be hero to housewives everywhere, and will become rich and famous (and married?) for my trouble!
Last edited October 1, 2015 5:21 pm
Oct 1, 2015 7:26 pm
https://alyssaroyse.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/snakeoil.jpg

Name: Saul Balsam

Who am I?
Good evening, fine ladies & gents! Today I have a most superb elixir for all that ails you, be it sniffles, scurvy, stomach trouble, gout, pneumonia, poor eyesight, nervousness, heart ailments, tiredness or plum just sick of life! Yes, indeed! A quaff to cure all manner of troubles! Today's special: buy two bottles and receive one free of this wondrous elixir! I have spent my entire life searching for cures from all over the world...the secret of this magical healing formula was taught to me by a Medicine Man in the jungles of the Amazon...the secret ingredient comes from a rare snake. Yes, sir, a bottle of my magic elixir will fix whatever ails you! Gangrene of the leg, this magic potion will clear that right up, absolutely! You will not be disappointed. I have only a limited supply to sell today, tomorrow I must go back for supplies. I may never be this way again, so don't miss out. Directly after the show I'll be leaving to restock my wagon. Since this is to be my last stop, I'm going to sweeten my offer, since my wagon moves faster on a light load - by the way I neglected to tell you this here magic snake potion also works wonders for any horse or mule discomfort. If their leg is sore from a sprain just rub this wonder liniment on and after a night’s rest they'll be kicking the barn doors down to get to working for ya. Okay the deal now is if you buy 3 bottles for a mere 50c a bottle, I'll throw in 2 bottles free. Yessir that's what I call a steal. I must return to St. Louis to replenish my supply. Lookee here my good friends I drink it just like this. [taking a good quafff straight from the bottle] It works superbly for the baby's colic, just one tablespoon and that baby will quiet right down and you'll be able to get your sleep. That's right my friends! Step right up for the deal of a lifetime. A potion so potent, it may even save you from the clutches of perdition! Don't be stingy folks I probably won't be this way again so buy your supply now!

What do I want?
Those outlaws have crossed the wrong man. Steal my wagon...my livelihood...at gunpoint! Why, it’s enough to drive a man to extremes! I’ll show them. The long arm of the law hasn’t got to them but Saul Balsam knows a trick or two, yessir!
Last edited October 1, 2015 7:26 pm
Oct 2, 2015 10:51 am
Name: Bonny The Bandit

Who am I?
I'm the most renowned, feared and respected woman in the west. I've run with gangs, tossed banks, stolen horses and outshot, outsmarted and outplayed lawmen everywhere I've been. The one thing I haven't done, is hijack a train. My solemn bunch of outlaw followers got themselves pinched preparing to rob this here locomotive. That was all part of my plan. While the lawmen carted them boys off for a hangin', they felt like they'd stopped the robbery before it all began. Drunk on their victory they won't be expected a lone bandit, nay a lone woman, to be the mastermind. They never do.

What do I want?
Why I told ye' already what I want. I want to hijack this train, acquire whatever wealth there is to have, a secure a place for myself in the great books of history as the greatest bandit 'ever walked this desolate landscape.
Oct 6, 2015 5:41 pm
Who am I?
I'm Luke Guilder, a dentist, and I'm riding the train out to meet my sweet "Genuine Indian" mail-order bride in California. I've already paid in full to the organization which will introduce me to my lovely bride-to-be. On the day before departure, I met with my old classmate from Pennsylvania College of Dentistry, John Holliday. Both of us are leaving for parts Out West, and we decided to make a little wager to keep things interesting. We'll gamble during the entire train ride. The person who wins the most at gambling will win the prize - ten thousand dollars.

What do I want?
Get to Sacramento to get bride. Gamble and earn more money than John (who is not on the train).
Oct 7, 2015 3:08 am
who am I?

I am Clarence McGovern, I am an.. inventor, architect, scientist and Renaissance man! I'm riding the train west in order to eventually catch a train down to Santa Fe where I will seek out Father Jean Baptiste Francolin. He's recently moved to the United States from France and he's got some very interesting ideas about building a magnificent castle in Santa Fe -- or so I overheard at one Washington DC ball or another. After some recent... challenges in DC, I figured it was a fine time to head west in search of a new opportunity. I'm also quite certain that no one can pin the collapse of that flophouse I called home (albeit in the basement) on me. After all, they were all out at some society thing so... no witnesses, right?

what do I want?
I want to leave my mark on the universe! I have some wondrous ideas on how to architect a true American castle to enlightment and knowledge! I'd also like to get a few thousand miles between me and Washington DC. Quickly now, please.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.