Diacritics?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 21, 2019 5:38 am
Pasting from wikipedia to test something.

Among the types of diacritic used in alphabets based on the Latin script are:

accents (so called because the acute, grave, and circumflex were originally used to indicate different types of pitch accents in the polytonic transcription of Greek)
◌́ – acute (Latin apex)
◌̀ – grave
◌̂ – circumflex
◌̌ – caron, wedge (Czech háček, Slovak mäkčeň)
◌̋ – double acute
◌̏ – double grave
◌̃ - tilde
dots
◌̇ – overdot (Indic anusvara)
◌̣ – an underdot is used in Rheinische Dokumenta and in Hebrew, Indic and Arabic transcription
◌·◌ – interpunct
tittle, the superscript dot of the modern lowercase Latin i and j
◌̈ – diaeresis or umlaut
◌ː – triangular colon, used in the IPA to mark long vowels.
curves
◌̆ – breve
◌̑ - inverted breve
◌͗ – sicilicus, a palaeographic diacritic similar to a caron or breve
◌̃ – tilde
◌҃ – titlo
vertical stroke
◌̩ – syllabic a subscript vertical stroke is used in IPA to mark syllabicity and in Rheinische Dokumenta to mark a schwa
macron or horizontal line
◌̄ – macron
◌̱ – underbar
overlays
◌⃓ – vertical bar through the character
◌̷ – slash through the character
◌̵ – crossbar through the character
ring
◌̊ – overring
superscript curls
◌̓ – apostrophe
◌̉ – hoi (Vietnamese dấu hỏi)
◌̛ – horn (Vietnamese dấu móc)
subscript curls
◌̦ – undercomma
◌̧ – cedilla
◌̡ ◌̢ – hook, left or right, sometimes superscript
◌̨ – ogonek
double marks (over or under two base characters)
◌͝◌ – double breve
◌͡◌ – tie bar or top ligature
◌᷍◌ – double circumflex
◌͞◌ – longum
◌͠◌ – double tilde
double sub/superscript diacritics
◌̧ ̧ - double cedilla
◌̨ ̨ - double ogonek
Feb 21, 2019 5:41 am
Áá Àà Ăă Ắắ Ằằ Ẵẵ Ẳẳ Ââ Ấấ Ầầ Ẫẫ Ẩẩ Ǎǎ Åå Ǻǻ Ää Ǟǟ Ãã Ȧȧ Ǡǡ Ąą Ą́ą́ Ą̃ą̃ Āā Ā̀ā̀ Ảả
Ȁȁ A̋a̋ Ȃȃ Ạạ Ặặ Ậậ Ḁḁ Ⱥⱥ ᶏ ẚ

Éé Èè Ĕĕ Êê Ếế Ềề Ễễ Ểể Ê̄ê̄ Ê̌ê̌ Ěě Ëë Ẽẽ Ėė Ė́ė́ Ė̃ė̃ Ȩȩ Ḝḝ Ęę Ę́ę́ Ę̃ę̃ Ēē Ḗḗ Ḕḕ Ẻẻ Ȅȅ
E̋e̋ Ȇȇ Ẹẹ Ệệ Ḙḙ Ḛḛ Ɇɇ E̩e̩ È̩è̩ É̩é̩ ᶒ ⱸ ꬴ ꬳ
Feb 21, 2019 3:11 pm
Yes?
Feb 21, 2019 3:20 pm
There are some browsers that don't see these well. For example, on my Android using the Chrome app, the first post looks like square x-ed out boxes with marks on each box, while the second post looked fine.

On my Windows 7 PC with Chrome as the browser, both posts look fine.
Last edited February 21, 2019 3:20 pm
Feb 21, 2019 4:03 pm
I am relatively new on the site, so do not have a wide range of experience, but from what I have seen, most diacritics work okay in posts (at least on my devices), but they do not work in the name field of the D&D 5E character sheets, and they also wreak havoc on the Custom sheets.
Feb 21, 2019 4:13 pm
This post was created in response to someone asking if diacritic support was needed on GP. However, I think this is more a case of individual browsers and OS support.
Feb 21, 2019 4:46 pm
Android 8.0.0, SM-G955U (S8+ on Verizon) Build/R16NW on Chrome 72.0.3626.105 I get a weird box. I get an Xed out box with the marks (as Qralloq said). Second post appeared perfectly fine.

Windows 10 (Build 1803) HP Pro x2 612 on Chrome Version 72.0.3626.109 (64-bit) both posts look totally fine.
Feb 21, 2019 4:57 pm
Chrome 72.0.3626.109 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 is completely confused. That said, I can look into if there's a way to get more global coverage? Until then, just interesting to see (moving to Site Discussions).
Feb 21, 2019 7:53 pm
The bug for me is specifically in the custom character sheet
Feb 22, 2019 6:12 am
I was able to duplicate the issue with a character sheet. It appears that part of the issue is that the font that is called for, Lucida Grande, is not imported into CSS, which causes it to fall back to a generic web font, Verdana. Verdana does not have extended latin characters, so it can't show them.

This SHOULD be able to be repaired by swapping either Lucida Grande for a google font with extended characters, or adding one in to the font stack.
Last edited February 22, 2019 6:14 am
Feb 22, 2019 2:58 pm
Other fun text effects:

https://www.zalgotextgenerator.com/

Ȩ̸̨̮̰̼͎̞̑̎̏̇̾̌̚v̵̧͕̣̻͙̟̒̍̀͂̄̊̕ỉ̷̧̮̤̤̲̙̜͓̜̍̍̃̏͊̔̑͞l̴̨̘͚͙̯̰͉̙͐̃̇̎̾̔̈́̃͑̂ w̷̨̜͉͙͓̥̠͒̽̈́͆̃į͎͇̻̘̹̞͙̑̅̽̈́̑́́̚z̧̢̪̩͙̮̤̦̒͊̾͒͆̒͟ȃ̷̡̪̜̬̣̾̋͊͂͆͢͡ŗ̴̰̭̪͎̣̓͒̎̔̾͘͘ḑ̴̛͔̜̘̣̳̹̘̫̅̈́̇͒̅͆̀͞͠ ç̛̙͚̣̬̩̟̖̱͛̉͋̀͡â̗̰̭̖͖̞̹͊̊̊͐̓̕̚͟s̵̭͓̳͎̤̮̰̮̞̾̄̃͊̀̽͟t̡̜͚̜̟̝͒̓̆̃̊̾́̀͘͜͡ş̢̘͎̱̈́̋̀̎̄ͅ Z̨̯̗͎̲̪͛͐̽̕͝͡A̢̛̭̘͔͙̥͔̟͙͌̀̋̓͟Ļ̶̭̠̙̘͕͓͙͑̇̔́̈́̓́͒̕͢͝G̨̪͓̥̺̝̈́̋̅́̇́̃͜͠͞Ó̵̧̙̥̞̰̫̻͔̬͌̅͑͂̍̾͋̀͟͡!̷̳̻̦͙̖͌͆́́̽͛̕͢͠

https://yaytext.com/fraktur/
𝔐𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔒𝔩𝔡 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔦𝔰𝔥. 𝔚𝔬𝔴.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.