Blood in Ferelden: Chapter 1

Oct 6, 2015 4:11 am
It is the 30th year of the Dragon Age.

All fledgling adventurers, seekers of riches, or seekers of knowledge are well served by making their way to Denerim to find opportunities.

The quest for knowledge has brought the young mage Jake Chambers all the way from the Tevinter Imperium, across the Free Marches and the Waking Sea. The trail led him to Denerim, but recent shipping disruptions forced some captains to make port in Amaranthine instead. On a few occasions the party had to draw steel and witness the awesome, unsettling power that the mages could bring to bear.

Fortunately enough other adventurers were making their way to Denerim via the North Road. There was the elf Rothas, making a name for himself outside of the brutal Denerim alienage. The elf was not the only brave warrior to join the impromptu company, there was the dwarf Grapthor who had long since left the confines of Orzammar and the deep roads and found himself on the other side of Ferelden. The human warrior Bray kept a firm hand on his axe, and was always prepared to dive into the fray to prove his mettle.

Lastly the Circle Mage Lockley was on his way to Denerim, his place of birth, however this trip was one of research, and would likely find that his goals would align with the Tevinter mage accompanying the journey.

Alright team, feel free to RP a bit to introduce yourselves, boast about the journey, whatever floats your boat. I'll move the story ahead after everyone's had an opportunity to have a say. Enjoy.
Oct 6, 2015 1:32 pm
Lockley leaned on his staff, huffing from the exertion. His companions walked a few paces ahead and then stopped, waiting for the stout mage to recover. Oh what fun to slap bandits about with his magic, but deep inside he felt shaky afterwards.

The bandits had struck in the morning, just after they broke camp, perhaps alerted by their breakfast fire. But after slamming most off them to the ground, and young Jake's initial spell, Grapthor, Rothas and Bray had waded in and kept them from organizing in any way. Their offense had become defense, then retreat.

The shaking inside lessened and he continued walking. He wonder if the Tewinter mage felt the same. Not exhausted from mana drain, but from fighting to stop. It took years of practice of control for him to be certain he could. Could Jake?
Oct 6, 2015 5:35 pm
"Are you feeling alright, Lockley?", Jake questions Lockely, trying to catch his breath as well, "As many times as I've cast arcane bolt before, combat always feels much more...", he has his hands on his knees as he breathes heavy while trying to ponder the word he is looking for, "...energetic." He lets out a short laugh but soon stops so he can catch his breath.

He looks over to Bray, "How is that arm healing up? The tingle of magic should wear off in a bit."
Last edited October 6, 2015 5:36 pm
Oct 6, 2015 9:09 pm
Stopping to wait for the mages, I rub a hand over my magically healed arm at the mention of the wound. It was the first time I had ever received magical healing. "It's fine. Thank you." It was frustrating that I needed the healing at all. I should have been more careful in my duel against the ruffian. Relying too much on my shield, I had left myself open due to my arrogance. That's when I decided to switch over to my axe to keep myself on my toes. I would need to survive for far longer than this in order to become the hero needed to restore honor to the Musset name.
After a brief moment, I called back to the mages, "Let's keep moving. Even at a slower pace we can still make some progress on our trip."
Oct 8, 2015 2:00 am
"Sure thing, boss", Jake says with the cocksure attitude of youth. He walks over, shoulders up his pack, and lets out one last deep breath to regain his composure. "Let's just try and keep more aware", he says, eyeing the stronger warrior types, "My fathers trail grows only colder."
Oct 8, 2015 3:53 am
The rest of the journey is mostly monotonous and uneventful, and after a few more days the caravan is finally approaching its destination. It is a dark, cool night and a heavy mist is beginning to settle as the wagons arrive at the main gates.

In the mist a pair of glowing floating orbs approach, but prove to be nothing more than the city guardsmen approaching to speak with the caravan leader. The city guard stops the wagons to inspect their contents and the caravan leader bids the group his thanks. The driver tells the party that he'll deal with the inspection, they can go on without them. He reminds them to visit the guild office in the morning to collect the rest of their pay.

Beyond the main gate you are welcomed by the all too familiar stench of the Dregs, something like that of a mound of wet dogs. The mist has thickened, blocking out all but the nearby torches which appear as floating orbs of light hanging in the mist.

In this kind of mist you can hear people approaching long before you can see them. You’d peg the half-dozen or so pairs of feet pounding toward you in the darkness as guardsmen if it weren’t for the horrible gurgling.

Five people emerge from the mist. All wear off-white robes stained with blood. One carries a child’s body over his shoulder.

Welcome to the Dregs.
Oct 8, 2015 4:27 am
Jake, unfamiliar with the city, but not one to sit around while children are harmed puts himself in their direct path and holds up his hand, "Stop there. What are you doing with that child? Speak quickly for they may be your last words", his heart pounds in his chest and he can feel the magic beginning to well within him. It's a crackling tingly sensation across his skin. The magic always gives him a singular sensation of mixed terror and elation. He does his best to seem outwardly confident as he also wants nothing to do with the pain these characters might impart.
Oct 8, 2015 1:17 pm
Quietly, Lockley says "I won't tell you let your guard down, Jake, but be sparing with your magic here. The Circle doesn't let 'uncontrolled' mages just run free."

Lockley prepares to intercede with the white robed people, although he fears they may be diseased.
Oct 8, 2015 6:55 pm
The large man in the centre of the group holding the child over his shoulder speaks up. "Go about your business strangers," he spits. "This is the Maker's work."

The Strangers
Oct 8, 2015 8:06 pm
I stand by ready if needed but curious to watch the interaction between the strangers and Jake.
Oct 8, 2015 9:52 pm
Grapthor leans on the long haft of his two-handed maul. The surly dwarf has been relatively quiet the past couple of days, giving his companions a welcome respite from his usual grumbling about his chronic indigestion and the unfortunate lack of ale. The stout warrior has proven himself a worthy ally in battle, but in many cases it's been his grumpiness and snappish remarks that've gotten them into fights in the first place. Leaning on his maul, thumb hooked in his belt, Grapthor spits idly. By now the irascible dwarf's companions recognize this as a sign he's about to get them in trouble again. Somebody better stop him from opening his big mouth!
Oct 8, 2015 9:58 pm
"Put the boy down or I'll send you to talk to the Maker himself", Jake does his best to stand firm and only hopes that crazy dwarf is ready to back him up in the event this goes south. His youth and bravado may be getting the best of him after the last battle.

[ OOC: Not sure if this is going to be some sort of check for anything yet. Just let me know. ]
Last edited October 8, 2015 9:58 pm
Oct 8, 2015 11:44 pm
Lockley, unwilling to tangle with the Chantry, should these ruffians be a part of that fell institution, nonetheless hesitantly prepares to back his companions. He doesn't make any threatening moves, however.

Edit: added roll
Last edited October 9, 2015 12:38 am

Rolls

Cunning (religious lore) w/o Lore talent - Dragon die is last die - (3d6+4)

(213) + 4 = 10

Oct 9, 2015 12:04 am
Crazy mage. I think to myself as I watch him get himself into trouble...
Oct 9, 2015 2:51 am
"I will ask once again. Put down the child and step away. There will be no more asking after this", his fingertips start to crackle with magical energy. Feeling this power welling up he tries to control it enough to avoid a very outward display of his power. Doing his best to heed Lockely's advice, though knowing he doesn't possess the control of the more experienced mage.

[ OOC: Dang, too bad I probably failed the intimidation. I could have stunted and added a cool phrase to the end of my line. ]
Last edited October 9, 2015 3:01 am

Rolls

Brawn (Intimidation) (no focus and last die is dragon dice) - (3d6+1)

(221) + 1 = 6

Oct 9, 2015 4:42 am
Grendelthebrave sent a note to unique_exemplar
The large brute, seeing the crackling energy begin to build up around Jake, takes a half step back, his jaw quivering. "W-w-w-we're doing the Maker's work!"

He then drops the child unceremoniously off his shoulder and makes a break for it, trying to run around the party. The rest of the cultists brace themselves, hands going underneath their robes as if they had weapons hidden underneath...

For your intimidate check, I used your magic value instead of brawn, seemed appropriate. Big guy fails, the rest stand their ground. Breaking into Initiative as big guy is fleeing, the rest of them aren't necessarily committed to combat yet.

Initiative order:
Bray
Cultists
Lockley
Rothas
Jake
Grapthor

Bray's up first... I rolled off for the ties, lots of '4's on the dragon die...

Oh, and here's a rough MAP I don't want to get too specific with positions and the like, but a rough idea of how you are arranged might be helpful. The small star is the child.

Rolls

Jake Chambers Init +1 - (3d6+1)

(444) + 1 = 13

Grapthor Init +2 - (3d6+2)

(513) + 2 = 11

Lockley Init +0 - (3d6+0)

(464) = 14

Bray Init +2 - (3d6+2)

(454) + 2 = 15

Rothas Init +5 - (3d6+5)

(134) + 5 = 13

Cultist Init +3 - (3d6+3)

(444) + 3 = 15

Oct 9, 2015 5:32 am
[ OOC: Since Jake passed the test using the magic number instead and I had doubles I did accumulate a roleplaying stunt point I'm going to spend right away. The corebook lists this as the only thing that costs 1SP for roleplaying stunts and it seems appropriate.

Bon Mot: You tag the perfect witty remark onto the end of your action, affecting all those who hear it that much more deeply. If you can’t think of one, the rest of the players and GM quickly brainstorm options, and you choose among them. Word of your wit is likely to spread, for good or ill.

So I'm going to quick throw an extra "intimidating" line in here now as things kick off. ]

Jake, feeling the courage of his words ring true and righteous adds, "May the Maker grant you more mercy than I shall."
Last edited October 9, 2015 5:34 am
Oct 9, 2015 8:22 am
Rothas has strung his bow and has an arrow nocked, though he's not quite aiming at anyone. He's waiting to see how Bray and Lockley respond to these yahoos. While Rothas is prepared for violence, it seems like these robed strangers haven't the stomachs to fight. There would be little honor in cutting them down like so much wheat. Still, Rothas eyes the large brute who is running around them, wary that he may try to attack the group from behind...

* ...funny that he can run so fast; I would've thought those long robes would slow one down more...*
Last edited October 9, 2015 2:46 pm
Oct 9, 2015 8:38 pm
As the man runs off, something comes to mind about who I think these people are. Picking up my axe, I calmly approach Jake and gently hold his arm. "Wait." Asking more than demanding, I fully face the remaining robed people. "Whatever your intentions with that child - it's over now." I speak over my shoulder, never breaking eye contact with the group. "Jake. Attend to the child. See that he's well." I swing my axe up to bear with both hands in front of me and speak to the robed ones, glaring. "Now leave."
[OOC: Hope I'm not overdoing it with another Intimidate.]

Rolls

Intimidate - (2d6+3)

(26) + 3 = 11

Intimidate Dragon Die - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Oct 10, 2015 4:02 pm
Lockley kneels carefully by the child and checks for breathing. Subtlely, he also checks for signs of sickness or plague. He'll relay the information to they others as he he learns it, reciting as if from a book.

If the child is wounded, he will expend 1MP in a Heal.

Rolls

Diagnose child - Cunning (third is dragon die), Perc would be +0 - (3d6+2)

(311) + 2 = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.