Savage Rifts

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 11, 2019 4:18 pm
I really enjoy the Rifts setting, and Savage Worlds Rules takes that setting and gives it a much smoother ruleset IMHO.
Are there any Savage World GMs who might be interested in running this setting and discussing it ?

Thanks for reading.
Mar 12, 2019 1:34 am
This game is on my shortlist, but I'd hesitate to call myself a Savage Worlds GM. I've played the game one, but am very interested in Savage Rifts.
Mar 12, 2019 1:01 pm
That's ok with the introduction of Savage Worlds Adventure Edition we are all working with the changes this edition has brought on. I do like how Mechs and giant monsters are kind of placed in their own category. Vehicle level weapons are terrifying which is something a lot of Palladium fans felt was missing in it's rules.

Magic/Psionics have a different more wargame feel in Savage Worlds with such short durations. Though the vast variety of Savage Worlds various types of arcane backgrounds sure can make things interesting while the Master of Magic/Master Psychic edges allows mages and psychics to hold their own when they need too.

All in all I like the speed flow of SW, where Palladium usually turns into ablative combat till someones armor is gone.

What draws you to Savage Rifts ?
Mar 13, 2019 1:55 am
I haven't tried looking over the new version of Savage Worlds yet. A little, but not too much.

As for Rifts, I had the game when it came out in the early 90's. My friends and I played around with the system, and had an absolute blast with the setting (not the system!). When I saw that there was a new version with easier to digest rules I jumped on it. I love how open the game is, and I really like some of the ideas they implemented for this new iteration of the game, i.e. the juicer is on a clock for about 10 sessions before they go down in a blaze of glory. Cool stuff, and really fitting for game.

Yourself?
Mar 13, 2019 2:46 am
Man, Rifts was crazy. I had a ton of the books back in the day, but we never managed to make an actual game of it work. Character creation was generally as far as we got, and then we'd realise that the characters we'd made were at such different power scales that they couldn't meaningfully interact with each other.

If there's a version of the system that makes it actually function as a game, I'd be interested to play. :)
Last edited March 13, 2019 2:47 am
Mar 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Well body armors tend to be non MDC in Savage Rifts, so while very tough and able to stop most small arms fire.
Power armors, robots and some monsters are MDC. The Glitterboy still tends to be the King of Mecha and Big Monster fighting combat. Though now spells and psionics can effect them in their big suits.

Combat isn't as long, and the players and the big villains stand out not by hundreds of MDC but by the fact they are considered Wild Cards (Savage World PC's basically)

It's nice in that although Palladium Rifts has a huge catalogue of creatures etc, so does Savage Worlds products.
Mar 14, 2019 2:29 am
kadeton says:
Man, Rifts was crazy. I had a ton of the books back in the day, but we never managed to make an actual game of it work. Character creation was generally as far as we got, and then we'd realise that the characters we'd made were at such different power scales that they couldn't meaningfully interact with each other.

If there's a version of the system that makes it actually function as a game, I'd be interested to play. :)
Savage Worlds re-built the game. Its an offical re-creation that Kevin Siembieda signed off on. Its a radically different animal now. Its everything you remember, but with a completely different set of mechanics.
Mar 14, 2019 3:28 am
Sweet. Well if there's enough interest to get a game going, count me in!
Mar 14, 2019 2:40 pm
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
kadeton says:

Savage Worlds re-built the game. Its an offical re-creation that Kevin Siembieda signed off on. Its a radically different animal now. Its everything you remember, but with a completely different set of mechanics.
I would give this a like if Gamers Plane had that.

Oh Heck LIKE
Apr 19, 2019 1:53 am
Looking for one or two players for a Savage Rifts game. We're all learning and looking to throw some dice to get a better understanding of the system. Casual game, but regular posting.
Apr 19, 2019 2:15 am
I’d be willing to get in on this. Used to run Savage Rifts a few years ago, so I’m familiar with the system.
Last edited April 19, 2019 2:16 am
Apr 19, 2019 7:56 am
Its fun were all learning.

We have a Crazy a Mystic and an Operator so far.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.