Non-game story thread

Mar 17, 2019 11:14 pm
I would like a place to present story ideas that residents here could do input and hopefully develop something that could turn into a game. We could either open it up as a setting for a current game system or have someone develop a system for playing in the setting. Just so everyone can think in the same way let's use something with which everyone here should be familiar. Westeros. I'm not saying we steal from George Martin. It's only meant to be a benchmark.

You have a fully developed world (something we would do here), a wide number of races and cultures and a major event or individual.
We should start with a concept that would revolve around that event or individual. Let me start the ball rolling with a fairly vague statement and everyone who is interested in joining can post suggestions.

"The Dragon is loose in the land."

Big question. Who or what is The Dragon?

Let's hear your thoughts.
Mar 18, 2019 10:56 am
The Dragon is a band of mercenaries. In the last decade they have amassed huge numbers in the east and have now invaded this land, and no one knows what drives them or who their client is.
Mar 18, 2019 1:45 pm
They have also attracted the attention of a very real dragon, because a horde of valuables is quite appealing to the young but still deadly beast
Mar 18, 2019 4:39 pm
The dragon is a euphemism for a noble of sone sort and their party. Maybe a young prince or princess whom is rather despised by less fortunate subjects. Or the name of a hardass mentor and it's a group of his memtees whispering humorously as their mentor is in an awful foul mood.
Mar 18, 2019 9:55 pm
The dragon is an actual dragon, and as far as anybody knows, it's the only dragon that exists.

And this isn't one of those smart, spell-casting, treasure-hoarding D&D cliches. No, this is a collosal, mindless beast that appears randomly somewhere in the realm every 30-40 years or so, the precise time lapse varies, rampages across the lands, killing huge amounts of people a it feeds, and then vanishes to nobody knows where, where it lies dormant for another 30-40 years.
Mar 18, 2019 10:51 pm
I like the euphemism idea the best. The dragon is not necessarily human but can exist in a human world because others have at least heard of others like him or at least something like him.
Mar 18, 2019 10:56 pm
He doesn't necessarily have any special powers but he may be able to channel an inner beast that, combined with how he looks, could make some superstitious people think in terms of a dragon. His appearance is not unheard of but is only seen perhaps once in 20 or 30 generations.

I'm doing this in small bites because my system is giving me problems.
Mar 20, 2019 7:38 pm
It may be his/her appearance that conjures the "dragon" image, or it could be simply that this individual has the capacity to breath fire (or pick your breath weapon).
Mar 20, 2019 8:02 pm
The dragon is humanity itself. Compared to the other long-lived race, it is spreading quickly throughout the land. It is outbreeding both elves and dwarves. It's unending thirst for natural resources, land, and general disregard for the environment is greatly disturbing to the elder races. To them, humanity looks like this giant beast that just consumes...
Mar 20, 2019 8:32 pm
Awfully progressive of you, kal. But an interesting concept. Probably better for a literary work than an RPG game. Let's focus on an individual for a moment. What would there be about an individual that would prompt images of a dragon? And let's not think simply in human terms.
Mar 20, 2019 11:21 pm
Do you ever write, kalajel? I really like that one. It'd be interesting to see a fantasy story from a non-human perspective.

I like these in general, really.

The Dragon is a mysterious plague. Victims suffer burning fevers, drying scaly skin, and an insatiable desire for meat. Superstitions spread across the land. Some blame the heavenly, purging the wicked. Some purge the profane, toying with mankind. Most are just afraid.
Mar 21, 2019 12:11 am
The dragon simply wants to be left alone. After he refused the king to join him in his conquest of the known world, the King united the Kingdom by secretly burning enemy villages, spreading false stories of "The Dragon" burning them and offering his protection in exchange for servitude...
Mar 21, 2019 1:12 am
No, I don't write.
Mar 21, 2019 4:19 pm
Ah, bummer kalajel

And nice one, deadpool!
Mar 21, 2019 7:25 pm
I'm gonna have to go see the Geek Squad. Every time I type more than two or three lines I get knocked off the site and lose all my work. I don't know if it's just Google Chrome or if I've got a virus that my software didn't catch.
Mar 21, 2019 7:27 pm
So, I saw a couple of very good ideas there. I wouldn't go so far as a plague. Affects too many people. An individual recruited by an evil King sounds good but having already conquered vast territories may be better left for actual game play than for game setup.
Mar 21, 2019 7:31 pm
I'm thinking our Dragon might be from the desert southwest and was shunned by his community. He wandered the desert and grew mad from the summer sun. He was saved by a priestess from the north who had come south with a small group to spread the word and found him at death's door.
Mar 21, 2019 10:08 pm
Mythic Rasputin-type?
Mar 21, 2019 11:05 pm
Moves lightly on his feet and can do a medieval parkour so it appears he can fly. And/or he has learned the art of "breathing" fire using a flammable liquid and a small hidden flame.
Mar 21, 2019 11:19 pm
The dragon is a weapon
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.