Modern Mythos?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 5, 2019 8:21 pm
A different thread got me thinking about the Cthulhu mythos in the modern age. Rather than wait for a game to start up, I figured I could make one. I've done the Keeper/GM things often enough, I'd just need to learn the tools here.

I would want to use either CoC 7th or Savage Worlds Realms of Cthulhu for the game, as that's what I'm most familiar with. It would be easiest if the PC's were investigators of some sort, but probably not required. Full Delta Green agents, sleazy tabloid reporters, or paranormal youtube shows could simplify getting the party together.

Anyone else have an interest in this kind of thing? I've got scenarios ready to run.
Jun 5, 2019 8:26 pm
I've been in two CoC games on here but they both faded out unfortunately. I prefer modern era over 1920s, so I would definitely be interested in joining if you decide to start one up
Jun 5, 2019 8:55 pm
I’d love to try some Cthulhu. Heard about it a lot but never played. How often are you looking for players to post?
Jun 5, 2019 10:22 pm
I can dig it. If you want players I know two others who would be super into it as well. I'll let them know to respond here.
Jun 5, 2019 10:30 pm
Cep told me about this and I'd be really interested. Modern horror is one of my favorite genres, especially the cosmic horror of Lovecraft.
Jun 6, 2019 1:53 am
I would be interested, especially if using Savage Worlds as I have the books for that system. I have played/ran older versions of Chaosium's system but I don't have 7th edition at the moment. I love the idea of YouTube or reality show kind of investigators especially as I wanted to run that kind of game but never got around to it.
Jun 6, 2019 10:25 am
Well there's definitely interest, that's a good sign. Still a question of rules though. CoC 7th obviously works, I've never gotten to use Realms of Cthulhu and I do wonder how well the mechanics work. I don't mind teaching rules for either system as we go, so new players needn't worry.

Any of you have strong opinions on the rules? My main hurdle is that I like the PC's to feel capable, or at least competent. It could just be my dice, but in CoC I feel like skill checks are more difficult that they ought to be. The pulpiness of Savage Worlds is closer to where I'd like it, but perhaps a tad too far on the pulp side. I have the Pulp Cthulhu rules, just never got a chance to read them so its possible they are the perfect middle ground.
CESN says:
I’d love to try some Cthulhu. Heard about it a lot but never played. How often are you looking for players to post?
I expect to post a few times a week, players likely would only need a post or two weekly. I haven't really thought about the speed of the game.
Jun 6, 2019 10:30 am
I'm familiar with CoC and not the others. I don't mind learning but I don't think I want to buy a new rulebook. I've played Savage Worlds before but only once a few years ago.

CoC characters are rather incompetent but maybe with some extra skill points that could be adjusted a bit
Jun 6, 2019 11:52 am
New player here! ☝️ No option at all 😕 from what I read CoC is really supposed to be difficult, so it isn’t probably not your rolls. I would be interested in some frustration, if that is the mood of the game :)
Jun 6, 2019 2:14 pm
bowlofspinach says:
I'm familiar with CoC and not the others. I don't mind learning but I don't think I want to buy a new rulebook. I've played Savage Worlds before but only once a few years ago.

CoC characters are rather incompetent but maybe with some extra skill points that could be adjusted a bit
The Savage Worlds Test Drive rules is just about enough, its vague on some character creation details and wouldn't have the sanity mechanics. I could explain them, but that's not a handy reference.

The Pulp Cthulhu is an optional CoC 7th Ed book that does provide characters additional skill points, and some other bonuses. I'm not excited about using it until I've read through the book.
CESN says:
New player here! ☝️ No option at all 😕 from what I read CoC is really supposed to be difficult, so it isn’t probably not your rolls. I would be interested in some frustration, if that is the mood of the game :)
I'd like the investigation to cause the frustration, not the die rolls. It probably doesn't matter in the end since you won't be denied information, just get some new complication with a failed roll.
Jun 10, 2019 4:12 pm
HI,
I just candidate to your CoC game.
I'd love to play a Cthulhu adventure in the modern world. Ready to start whenever you are.
Jun 10, 2019 4:14 pm
Trail of Cthulhu with the integration of the GUMSHOE System is a good balance for an investigative Cthulhu game.
Jun 12, 2019 1:23 am
I have a copy of Trail of Cthulhu as well. Been on my list to read for a while. Glad to hear it might be a fit, I'll have to get to it soon then.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.