Adventurers league questions

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 16, 2019 7:51 pm
So I saw a thread in the games tavern a little while ago that mentioned the Adventurers league and I was curious about it.
1) how easy is it to get started with an adventurers league character?
2) how does it work exactly with other games?
I read that there is a separate website that keeps track of your overall progress and level and what not.
3) as someone who hasn’t tried it yet and only plays D&D via PbP, is it worth trying?
4) the thread that mentioned it also mentioned rewards for hitting milestones and whatnot. Do those rewards apply to everyone, or just GMs?
Jun 17, 2019 6:38 pm
its super easy to join, All you need is to follow the rules for character creation.
Quote:
What You Need to DM

If you’re new to the role of Dungeon Master, you only need a few things to get started.

A Player’s Handbook or the D&D Basic Rules.
The D&D Adventurers League Players Guide and Dungeon Master's Guide.
An official D&D Adventurers League adventure.
A set of dice, pens/pencils, and paper.
3-7 players.
Quote:
Where to Play Games

D&D Adventurers League play is focused flexibility of play and venue. It can be played in a variety of locations of the group's choice. Some examples include:

Private play including home play and online play. Published adventures themed around the current D&D storyline are considered official for D&D Adventurers League, so you can use those or adventures available through the Dungeon Masters Guild.

Game stores are supported through the Wizards Play Network.

Conventions describe in-person public play events. This can include actual gaming conventions, as well as a one-off public gatherings or game days.

Online includes play on various online platforms, such as Fantasy Grounds and Roll20.

Most Recent AL Players guide
Jun 17, 2019 6:41 pm
Print logsheet.
I don't have the link to the online one that i seent currently
Jun 17, 2019 6:47 pm
1) how easy is it to get started with an adventurers league character? Super simple!
2) how does it work exactly with other games?
Adventures league is a structured Organized play meaning that all DM's follow almost identical set of rules to play so that everyone no matter where has the "same" playing experience.
That being said you can start an AL Game at your LGS and go to a different place weither it be online or at a con or wherever and plop in your appropriate AL character and still play.

The down side of it is that it doesn't have the fun sillyness that you can get away with in all the homebrew games that you play, silly magic items that turn things to glass on a crit doesnt exist in AL.

I read that there is a separate website that keeps track of your overall progress and level and what not.
3) as someone who hasn’t tried it yet and only plays D&D via PbP, is it worth trying?
Everything is worth trying at least once. But PbP is potentially slow. so its just about your determination to stick with it.
As a DM you would get DM rewards that you can apply to your characters to level them up or get special previliges or rewards the players don't normally get. (Death domain or the ability to make an Aarockra)

4) the thread that mentioned it also mentioned rewards for hitting milestones and whatnot. Do those rewards apply to everyone, or just GMs?

I'm not sure about the milestones but the Leveling system now is currently not experiecned based its done by the bubble system or "milestones" for tier 1 its 4 bubbles to lvl and each module has the infomraiton for the dm on how much. In the season 8 and on? adventures have the story bubbles meaning if you don't complete that objective you don't get the bubble.

I hope that helps answers some of your questions.
Jun 17, 2019 6:49 pm
Also let me know if you have more. I kinda like AL I have 4 AL games going on here. So you can shot me a message on here, pm, or hit me up on Discord for a faster response.

NOTE: I'm not the most knowledgable person but i feel confident in my abilities.
Jun 18, 2019 7:30 am
Thx CaveJohnson! I appreciate all the info.

I know that the Pbp style is normally slow but I’ve only tried d&d in person once before. I joined a coworkers ongoing game for a single session, but i spent the first 1/3 the time figuring out my character sheet and spells and whatnot and "meeting" the other players, so the "story" barely went anywhere. We had 1 fight and the other part of it was trying to figure out how to get into a pyramid. The group wasn’t a very active group, sometimes going months between sessions.

I’m not very outgoing and get embarrassed very easily (at least with pbp I’m not "acting/performing/role playing" in front of other people).

I might be interested in attempting to do AL, but it would obviously have to be a lvl 1 game and I’m not sure if any are available or if anyone would be willing to help me try it.
Jun 18, 2019 4:47 pm
yes all the AL Games start out at Lvl 1 and are tiered

I'm always down to help players learn. I've a game running through the Dragon Heist right now and their almost done with the first chapter if you wish you could join that. The've got 1 combat encounter to finish and a social encounter so i would say about 2-3 weeks, thats enough time to get ready to join in on the second chapter :D
Jun 18, 2019 4:54 pm
By tiered meaning the modules are tiered
t1-4
ranging in levels
Tier 1 -> lvl 1-4
Tier 2 -> lvl 5-9
Tier 3 -> lvl 10-14
Tier 4 -> lvl 15-20

But when anyone has to create a new character it is always starting at LVL 1. If any awards are applied then that would bump them that way.

NOTE: At any time between modules you are able to basically redo your character.
i.e. I don't like the way my fighter is going im going to make him a sorc instead. You can do that all the way until you start playing the character as a 5th level
Jun 18, 2019 10:01 pm
Ok. I’ll try to work on creating one so that it’s ready when they finish.
What is the party composition in that game? Any class roles missing? (Healer, dps, etc)
Last edited June 18, 2019 10:08 pm
Jun 18, 2019 10:38 pm
Theres not a real healer, I'll send you an Invite.
But you can play whatever you wish to play.
Jun 18, 2019 11:12 pm
I was thinking either:
1) Grave or tempest cleric
2) celestial or hex blade warlock
3) lore bard (maybe?)
Jun 18, 2019 11:15 pm
I just looked at the game you invited me to and...... it’s a dragon heist game..... I’m in a waterdeep dragon heist game right now but we haven’t even been to the 2nd tavern yet........ hmmm
Jun 18, 2019 11:19 pm
haahah, yes, its been almost 3-4 months that we've gotten this far. But it's up to you,
Jun 18, 2019 11:26 pm
Also every DM does it differently so My WD:DH is differently ran then the one i'm playigng in
Jun 18, 2019 11:54 pm
Only 3 players atm? Did people leave or were you just running a smaller prty?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.