System Input

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 19, 2019 8:36 am
OK, I will put this here as well as on the GP Discord.
I need some input from this amazing community.
I have an idea, more of a plan, to have a perpetual world that grows and ages with the players and also changes systems after each campaign. This way the players know the world more intimately and even influence its history, as well we all get to try out new systems.
I am running a 5e game, set in the fantasy middle ages. After this campaign I wanted to move to renaissance, then the enlightenment age, industrial revolution, machine age then digital and finally what I call star age for space travel.
My question is, what systems do you all think would work best for each era?
Jun 19, 2019 11:24 am
What would be the core activity of each of the time periods? What are the stories about?

It will probably be easier to match the game system to game play than to a time period. That said, I always like Fate Core for high adventure and DramaSystem for HBO-style dramas. Either of those could work with any time period.
Last edited June 19, 2019 11:24 am
Jun 19, 2019 1:08 pm
And heres a meta idea to overlay into your idea. Use Microscope for the timeline, but other game systems to play out a scene or important event in the timeline.
Jun 19, 2019 2:52 pm
Caystodd says:
What would be the core activity of each of the time periods? What are the stories about?

It will probably be easier to match the game system to game play than to a time period. That said, I always like Fate Core for high adventure and DramaSystem for HBO-style dramas. Either of those could work with any time period.
That is true. I do not have anything planned yet for those time periods. I usually plan an adventure around the system. That way we get the most out of it.
Jun 19, 2019 2:57 pm
Qralloq says:
And heres a meta idea to overlay into your idea. Use Microscope for the timeline, but other game systems to play out a scene or important event in the timeline.
Ooh, that sounds interesting. What is Microscope though?
Jun 19, 2019 4:14 pm
Microscope is a storytelling game. Essentially you start with the first player stating an idea as a timeline event (on an index card), then the next person can add another event, or explore one of the previous events, in which case you choose actors from the players and they roleplay a scene.

Microscope as written doesn't use dice or conflict resolution mechanics at all, it is more an improv game, but I'm suggesting replacing that but with an RPG scenario.
Jun 19, 2019 5:34 pm
Just read the first few chapters of the rulebook. Sounds awesome. I can use that in conjunction with Dawn of Worlds game to build a nice full world. Use Dawn of Worlds to build it then Microscope to give it life, finally pick a system to play specific scene or events in the history.
Jun 19, 2019 7:29 pm
I'm slowly building the infrastructure to run a Microscope game here. A game stared several months ago but dissolved when the GM ghosted. When I have things together (it may be another month or so), I'll put a game posting out.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.