almost complete noob

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 15, 2019 10:57 pm
i've done about 1/5 of a campaign,
and it was fairly free form.
is there a run down of how to make a character for dungeons and dragons?
Jul 15, 2019 11:26 pm
https://gamersplane.com/forums/thread/2656/

Hopefully that link worked above, if not go to Forum > General > New GP Member Guide

Welcome mate
Jul 16, 2019 5:52 pm
If that don't work you can always ask questions. For a faster response time the Discord channel is open also. https://discord.gg/XTdHsbh
Aug 13, 2019 12:12 am
https://gamersplane.com/characters/dnd5/12314/sheet/
is this an acceptable character?
Aug 13, 2019 12:14 am
phillip1882 says:
https://gamersplane.com/characters/dnd5/12314/sheet/
is this an acceptable character?
Unless you put your character in your library (click the book icon) we cannot view it.
Aug 13, 2019 11:54 am
where is the book icon?
Aug 13, 2019 11:59 am
You have to click on "Characters" at the top of the page and then select "All Characters". That sends you to a page where you can manage your character sheets. That's where you find the book icon
Last edited August 13, 2019 12:00 pm
Aug 13, 2019 12:21 pm
If you follow the link Mathfuric posted above, you will find instructions (with screenshots) for creating and editing character sheets. It also tells you how to submit your character to a game, as well as how to add it to the Character Library.
Aug 13, 2019 4:52 pm
okay clicked the book.
Aug 13, 2019 5:28 pm
In terms of an acceptable sheet, a lot of that will depend on the GM of a specific game, as well as your own personal preference. For example, I need some central place to get critical things like feature descriptions, base saves, and skill values. Now, if you want to just list out the names of features in the "Notes" area, that's fine, I can do the legwork to look it up in the books themselves. However, if you'd prefer to not bounce all over, by all means, use the "Feats/Abilities" area to document more completely.

Brainmush here is an example of how I typically set up my characters.
Were I to be evaluating the sheet you presented for one of my games, here's the feedback I'd provide (nothing meant to be aggressive or offensive, just the collection of thought):

Your Proficiency modifier isn't filled in. At level 1, this value should be a 2.
Background isn't indicated anywhere.
Total HP is way too high for a level 1 with a 9 in CON. This should be 9 HP (10 for ranger at base, -1 for con mod)
Temp HP should be zero as you have no source of those listed.
AC is missing entirely.
Init bonus should be a 0 as you have no bonus to DEX.
Speed should be 30 for a human.
Longbow stats are slightly off
Spells are not correct
Now, part of this may be that you haven't gone through the full creation of a D&D 5e character before. Do you have access to the players handbook (in some form)? It is likely more useful to go through general character creation for D&D before tackling how to enter that information into the website. :)
Aug 13, 2019 5:42 pm
In addition to what dramasailor has mentioned:

Currently, all your saves are only factoring in your ability modifiers. Don't forget to tick BAxter's save proficiencies (Strength & Dexterity for rangers) so the sheet factors in your proficiency bonus.

I see you have marked proficiency in six skills. Three of those would have come from ranger, two from your unspecified background, and one from (I'm guessing) being a variant human. It would help if you filled in the Background field, and put in Variant Human if he is indeed variant rather than standard.

Your DM will thank you if you put all of your feats and abilities (from race, background, and class) in the section provided.

The notes section is a good place to put his traits, bonds, ideal, and flaw, among other things.

Here is a Level 1 PHB Ranger, and here is a Level 1 Revised Ranger. This is by no means the only way to fill in a character sheet, but it's how I usually do mine, and I hope it will help you.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. You can also join us on Discord for real-time discussions.

Cheers! :-)
Aug 17, 2019 4:50 pm
Shouldn't you start with proficiency bonus of 2? It is still 0...
Aug 18, 2019 11:33 am
okay, i updated my sheet based on suggestions. anything else?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.