Transfer of GM rights

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 30, 2019 9:07 pm
Hey,
Is it possible to get the GM rights for a game transferred to another player without the help of the original GM? In a game I'm in, the GM has ghosted us and we players have decided to continue playing without him. It would be useful if one or more of us could get the GM rights for organizing the threads, allowing more character sheets etc.

Last edited July 30, 2019 9:07 pm
Jul 30, 2019 9:08 pm
I've been thinking about how to handle this situation, and at the least what I'm good on doing right now is make someone a co-GM in the game. i just need to know who and which game.
Aug 3, 2019 7:38 pm
Link
This is the game.

It doesn't really matter which one of us you give the co-GM rights to. I guess just give them to me

Last edited August 3, 2019 7:40 pm
Aug 9, 2019 4:20 pm
Sorry, I'll handle it as soon as I get home from work today.
Aug 17, 2019 6:37 pm
I'll bump this again, just so it doesn't get lost
Aug 21, 2019 8:21 pm
Damn, I'm terrible at being useful. I have therapy this evening, so I may not get to it, but I'm setting an alarm on my phone for Friday.
Aug 24, 2019 6:44 pm
Bump again

Sorry, I swear I'm not trying to be annoying ':D
Aug 26, 2019 2:51 pm
I set it yesterday; you show as a GM on my side (if I visit the game). If you don't yet have the right permissions, try logging out and back in.
Aug 26, 2019 3:14 pm
Okay, after logging out and back in, I am listed as GM in the game now and I can click edit on the game page. It doesn't save my edits there, though, and I don't have access to the Administrative Control Panel in the game forum.

I'll see if that changes over the next few days. Maybe the site needs time to adjust or something (Is that how websites work? I have absolutely no idea)

Thanks a lot already for changing my status in the game, though!
Aug 26, 2019 3:19 pm
The last time I saw someone receive transferred GM rights to an existing game, the new GM didn't have all the rights of the original GM. There were certain things he wasn't able to do. I don't know if that corrected itself over time.
Aug 26, 2019 3:44 pm
Oh, I'm dumb. I made you a GM for the game, but I didn't give you admin rights for the forums. I'll do that this evening. And yah, as a co-GM, you can't make edits to the game details. I think I need to put more thought into the process of taking over a game.
Aug 26, 2019 3:45 pm
Initial thoughts: if a GM is inactive for a month, or has not made a post in a game for a month, the players in the game can make a vote to transfer ownership of the game to another player. Is that reasonable?
Aug 26, 2019 3:47 pm
Seems reasonable to me. Maybe make provisions for when the GM has told the players they will be absent for a specific amount of time?
Aug 26, 2019 3:58 pm
That sounds like a good idea to me!
Aug 26, 2019 4:04 pm
As a process, this would be player initiated? Like don't report a missing GM for 30 days, then get player concensus on a replacement GM and contact El Swappo?
Aug 26, 2019 4:08 pm
Yah, we can come up with an official process, but after a month, the players could decide to keep going, and reach out to me. Maybe someday, we make it an automated process.
Aug 26, 2019 4:11 pm
Ideal: A button on the Game Details page (visible only to co-GMs or players out there are no co-GMs) labeled Coup, Mutiny, or Usurpation could start the process. In a fancy world, that would automatically appear in all games where the GM has been inactive for 30 days.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.