GP Thread Notifications on Android (No Email)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 7, 2019 3:38 pm
I've recently found a method for receiving thread update notifications on my Android phone that was relatively painless to set up. So I thought I'd share with the rest of the class.

1. Download Web Alert (Website Monitor) from Google Play Store: LINK

2. Open a web browser and navigate to the forum (or subforum) page that shows the thread you'd like to follow.

3. Copy the link to the forum page (not the thread)

4. Open Web Alert and Click the Add Alert button:
[ +- ] Screenshot
5. Paste the url into the textbox when prompted:
[ +- ] Screenshot
6. On the next screen, confirm that this is the forum page you want.

7. On the next screen, click on the thread post count for the thread you want. A pop up menu will appear, select "Choose This".
[ +- ] Screenshot
8. The next screen will show a text only output of the post count you selected. When it checks the site, it will look to see if that number has changed. When it does (and thus someone has posted), you will get a notification. Confirm this page to continue.

9. You will now return to the main menu and there will be an entry for the alert you just created. If you long press on the entry, you will see a context menu. If you select "Edit", you will have several options like renaming the alert so you can identify which thread it is, or how often the thread is checked.

That's all folks. I hope it works out for you as well.
Aug 8, 2019 4:27 pm
I just discovered a little hitch. This process records the text by position so let's say you are tracking the first thread in a forum. If another thread updates and takes over the first spot in the forum it will trigger an alert too. So it's not perfect, but it's okay
Aug 13, 2019 4:58 pm
Well.... Found another issue. Apparently all of the above only works if it's a public game.
Aug 13, 2019 9:53 pm
WarDomo says:
Well.... Found another issue. Apparently all of the above only works if it's a public game.
Ouch! Really awesome concept though!
Aug 13, 2019 11:20 pm
Lol. Yeah. I was really excited at first and then kept getting the rug pulled out from under me

You do not have permission to post in this thread.