Primetime Adventures - anyone tried it in PbP?

Aug 19, 2019 7:01 pm
I think this system could be just what I'm looking for to run a particular game I've been planning, but I can see a lot of potential for it to be just a mess in play by post. Has anyone run this system? Can it be done on a site like GP? (Successfully, that is.)
Aug 20, 2019 1:45 am
I love PTA and would like to know what others think, as well.
Aug 20, 2019 3:54 am
I'm reading the book and it really seems like a terrific system. I'm just wondering how it would be in practice in PbP, with all the player input and discussion for setting up and playing scenes. It would probably go fine if all the players are very active (and perhaps on the same continent), but it seems like waiting for one player to have time to weigh in would be potentially disastrous to the momentum of the game.
Aug 21, 2019 1:42 am
I've only played PTA once at a convention, but I imagine it would run just as well as any other system that requires a lot of collaboration and back and forth. As you suggest, that would mean players who would be willing to post regularly. Same continent would be helpful, but maybe not essential. As long as you had players commit to posting at least 5 times per week it might work.

I suppose there is the potential problem of players losing interest if their PC isn't featured in a scene. Giving fan mail is important to the way the game runs, but if you've got a two-person scene, the other PCs might just zone out.

I searched around and found that at least some folks have succeeded at playing Fiasco (a similar game) via PbP. It might be worth looking for pointers in some of those threads (just search Google for Fiasco RPG pbp).
Aug 21, 2019 2:52 am
Happily, I found some threads of a couple of PTA games played by post by searching "primetime adventures play online," I think. Unhappily, it seems that both games floundered pretty early on. In reading the planning posts, it seems like the big problem was that there was extended back and forth as the players debated pitches and tried to flesh out concepts. I believe that spending weeks discussing the planning elements of a game - setting, character types, etc. - almost always kills the momentum.

So one thing that might be vital to keeping a game like PTA chugging along through the planning stages is to set short timelines for the decisions. In table play, the players are supposed to spend a very short time developing pitches and characters. In PbP, you'd probably need to say, "We'll have no more than three days of discussion of the pitches and one day of character-building." Otherwise, people will invariably go into more detail than they're supposed to, and that seems (according to the threads I've just read) to lead to one or two other players to decide that they really aren't feeling the game as pitched, and quitting before it begins.

Thanks for the Fiasco suggestion. I'll look those up, too.
Last edited August 21, 2019 5:33 am
Aug 21, 2019 3:44 am
Oh, I found a PTA game on RPGG. It, too, died not too far into its first episode (mostly because the GM's work life changed significantly, it seems), but the IC thread provides a really instructive template for how the game should look in PbP, and for how to handle tracking things like producer's budget and the fan mail pool.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.