No depiction of Violence

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 25, 2019 8:23 pm
So I noticed under the rules that no violence is allowed.. How do you guys do combat scenes without depicting violence?
Aug 25, 2019 8:34 pm
It also said to keep it "PG 13". You still have scenes of combat in PG 13 movies. Well, run your combat like that. No graphic description of gore, dismemberments, decapitation, blood, etc.
Aug 25, 2019 8:42 pm
Oh no, I don't think I ever read that before. I may have violated that about a thousand times.
Aug 25, 2019 9:05 pm
I had the same question, and as I understand it, those are "General guidelines for the forums." When I joined, I asked specifically if it was okay to run R-rated horror games--language, violence, and subject matter--and the answer from Gamersplane on the Discord was "yes."

If that is not correct, my players are about to be in for a real shock.

Well, they're in for a real shock anyway but still...
Last edited August 25, 2019 9:23 pm
Aug 25, 2019 9:40 pm
But theeee again Jurrasic Park, Die hard and Star wars is PG-13 and they have quite gorey themes (Yes I googled what a PG-13 movie is).. I would generally like to know if this rule is being universally ignored, or I should Cartoon it down.. If my player knocks the head straight of a guy, is that all I say? Can I not say it at all? Is it okay to amp it up for badass factor or will I face the consequenses.
Last edited August 25, 2019 9:40 pm
Aug 25, 2019 9:42 pm
The consensus is of you're concerned about it, get buy in from your players at the start. Often they'll agree that violence to say children should be "off-camera" but every player had their own potential reactions.
Aug 25, 2019 10:59 pm
It is understood that violence sometimes occurs in our games. The rule is not so much "ignored" as it is a level of consensus among the players. We should all have the maturity to determine what constitutes gameplay versus physical or psychological trauma against another person, the same way we would know that a PG-13 movie's violent depiction is not the same as someone trying to get into a fight in the theater.

So if you're playing your game and players and GMs describe a violent scene, that's probably fine. Threatening violence or acting violent against people and fellow players is definitely not allowed.
Aug 26, 2019 8:33 am
Yeah... Alright so depicting violence has nothing to do with ingame violence? Sorry I did not get that from the rules.
Aug 26, 2019 8:39 am
If no graphic violence is allowed, does that mean my character who is currently being eaten by a horde of zombies will be fine after all?

I think the "No Depiction of Violence" rule mainly applies to the public forums and in the individual games, you can go further if the group has agreed on that and respect between players is still maintained:
Forum_Rules says:
We will allow the rules for language used in Game Forums (other then the Games Tavern) to be looser, as long as it is clearly printed at the root forum/game details. However, players are still expected to treat each other with respect, to not use slurs against other players, etc.
Aug 26, 2019 11:19 am
Alright i am new to the forums and I wanted to clear it up before I did something that could get me banned. Not that I have a plan to deeply traumatize my players by making it saw-like, I just wanted a clarification. But it seems like its all good as far as I can understand :)
Aug 26, 2019 2:05 pm
I just read it again and realize why it's confusing. The public forums follow the rules at the top. Private game forums have more lax rules. Basically, anyone should be able to join Gamers' Plane and read up on public content without having to feel uncomfortable. Once in a game, anything that breaks those rules is fine with the unanimous consent of the players. This can be implied consent (if the details are mentioned in the Game Details), or explicit consent (explicit will always be preferred). Anything that violates any actual laws will be always be restricted.
Aug 26, 2019 2:24 pm
Quote:
Anything that violates any actual laws will be always be restricted
So I can't download a car on GP, got it
Aug 26, 2019 3:55 pm
I've added the following disclaimer to the Index of Public Games:

Depictions of violence: Note that Gamers Plane has community standards for the depiction of violence. This index has not been vetted to ensure that all public games listed adhere to these standards. If you are sensitive to anything particular, then before reading through the game it might be wise to send a PM to the GM asking about language and tone in that game. Any violations of community standards should be reported to Keleth, the site administrator.
Aug 26, 2019 5:14 pm
NotYou says:
But theeee again Jurrasic Park, Die hard and Star wars is PG-13 and they have quite gorey themes (Yes I googled what a PG-13 movie is).. I would generally like to know if this rule is being universally ignored, or I should Cartoon it down.. If my player knocks the head straight of a guy, is that all I say? Can I not say it at all? Is it okay to amp it up for badass factor or will I face the consequenses.
Die Hard is definately R, btw.
Aug 26, 2019 6:16 pm
theeyetyrant says:
NotYou says:
Die Hard is definately R, btw.
Alright well it is different from country to country, btw.
Aug 26, 2019 6:22 pm
I would suggest looking at the list of public games and reading what happens in combat there. (The link to that list is in Qralloq's post above.) That should give you an idea of the prevailing community standards.
Sep 6, 2019 1:55 pm
Well that is a big whoopsie here, though mine aren't usually bad, I will keep that in mind as in my most recent game some of the depictions might be a bit much.
Sep 6, 2019 2:29 pm
zatatmando says:
Well that is a big whoopsie here, though mine aren't usually bad, I will keep that in mind as in my most recent game some of the depictions might be a bit much.
FYI, "tone it down if it is a bit much" was not the conclusion of this thread. This is the conclusion of this thread:
Keleth says:
Once in a game, anything that breaks those rules is fine with the unanimous consent of the players.... Anything that violates any actual laws will be always be restricted.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.