Against the Cult: The Next Day (1.2)

Dec 11, 2015 4:56 am
The next day dawns bright and early, though the staff of the Inn of Eternal Rest - Tap (the halfling), Devane (the Innkeeper), Soraya (his wife), Maul (the brewer), Jerek (brewer's son and assistant), and Cook (chef) - wisely leave you each alone to wake at your own time. They move quietly and efficiently, righting tables, sweeping the floors, and preparing a breakfast for early customers (and yourselves, should you awaken early).

A number of people excited to see real life adventurers in the flesh talked to each of you last night, some were interested to hear about the Dungeon Busters organization, some of those were excited about the prospects of trade that such an organization would represent (the smiths, sages, and priests in particular), and some landowners sounded like they might have space they could rent out to the party to serve as the local office.

As you rise, you review what you know about Black and what you know about Orlane:

* Black is a criminal that has been active in the area. He hired a bunch of thugs to take over Hale Arneson's mill for use as a base of operations. He's also done a variety of other things, and to date no one has been able to track him down or come up with a reliable description. He could be a half-giant sorcerer, a prince-in-exile, both, or neither.

* Your patron, the elven hero Cecily Raptor who is the founder and CEO of Dungeon Busters, carved a path through the Dim Forest decades ago, thus creating a path for settlers and merchants to travel between Hochoch and Hookhill. Orlane is a village a few days' travel along this road (Cecily's Road) to the east, in a fertile valley nestled between the Dim Forest to the north and the Rushmoors swamp to the south. Orlane is famous for its bountiful harvests of fine produce, and everyone in Hochoch is saddened that the shipments of produce have almost ceased in recent months. You've heard many rumors as to what has happened, and it was on the strength of these rumors that Cecily sent each of you (except Durren, who wants to be hired) to Hochoch to open a branch of Dungeon Busters. So far, you've talked to three different people with stories about Orlane: from crocodiles attacking from the Rushmoors, to tainted well water, to a many-headed creature stealing children. There are probably others with more stories to tell. Blackguard Wilson mentioned that his cousin Svall left Orlane after the many-headed creature started stealing kids, and that Svall's house was on the east side of Orlane, with blue shutters. He didn't know if it'd still be empty after months; maybe some squatters have moved in.
Dec 11, 2015 5:18 am
Aanbo rises early, before the sun has risen, for meditation. His ritual consists of finding a quiet dirt patch to sit in and reflect on yesterday and today, and to physically feel the earth. At the end of his personal ceremony, Aanbo grabs a handful of dirt and casts it upon his shoulders, a token of the land to carry with him on his journey.

The monk then returns to the inn for a light and simple breakfast, content to sit alone in reflection as he doesn't expect others to be awake this early.
Dec 11, 2015 7:43 am
Thacogygax, who has just spent the night sleeping in the woods as usual, gets up at dawn and returns to the inn. He chooses to take breakfast in the outdoor dining area. He looks around to see if any of his companions are already up and about.
Dec 11, 2015 8:57 am
I wake early, having retired early. I gather breakfast from the inn staff, and sit outside with Thacogygax, "Good morning." I smile, before starting to eat.
Dec 11, 2015 10:09 am
Morgran gets up from...somewhere. He finds his bearings and makes an early walk to the nearest river, or failing that, body of water, to take care of the smell, wash and dry his clothes, and to prepare battle chants. He smells his aching fist. Cow, he thinks.

He returns to the bar to split an eagle for drinks.
Dec 11, 2015 2:22 pm
Ogbar wakes early despite how late he was up. He stands from his bed and stretches out, testing his wounds to see how they feel this day and trying to figure out how they'll limit his movements. He slowly heads downstairs after saying a prayer to his god, Vatun. He joins the others, nodding at each in turn having gained a new respect for each and their battle prowess, and sits to eat his breakfast.
Dec 13, 2015 4:53 pm
Tap cheerfully greets each of you in turn as you enter and partake of the cold meats, fresh bread, a hearty porridge, and a variety of drinks both hot and cold that are available. You've all settled into chairs at a table that Devane has pulled into a patch of warm sun in the open courtyard and are comfortably eating and talking amiably amongst yourselves. Durren arrives and smiles at you, standing near the table, uncertain who to talk to about joining the Dungeon Busters organization.
Dec 13, 2015 6:05 pm
Unlike the rest of the party, Klak manages to sleep soundly and long, stumbling into the common room a bit bleary-eyed and not completely ready for the day. Drinking, fighting, drinking, gambling, drinking.. it's all something of a blur. He steps into the sunlight, squinting and finds a way to the table where the rest of the party sits and begins to eat some breakfast.
Dec 14, 2015 1:52 am
I spent a good part of the evening discretely fleecing as many people as I could. Once I had my fill, I made my rounds talking up our task ahead and our plans to make ourselves available to tackle any of the more difficult problems of this fair town, for a price of course. I turn in at a late hour and have myself a restful slumber, waking about an hour after sunrise and making my way down towards the smell of food.

I savor each bite of cold meat with chunks of warm bread as I watch Durren stand there. He clearly is waiting for someone to address him, and while I'm tempted to continue to ignore him I figure we might as well get this conversation started already. "You look as if you're about to burst. Get on with it then, no need to stand there and gape at us!"
Dec 14, 2015 9:46 am
"Gonna need something for this", I inform the barperson, beckoning with my fingers in one hand and slapping down a freshly changed 8 copper for 2 mugs of ale. Drinking the first rapidly, I raise an eyebrow and turn my head whilst slowly starting the second drink.
Dec 14, 2015 11:42 pm
Durren nods seriously at Xana, grateful for the opening. "I've heard a lot about Cecily Raptor since I came to Hochoch, and yesterday we saved a young woman in peril. That is good. I want to bring this Black villain to justice, and I'd appreciate the opportunity to travel with you to accomplish that. He needs to be stopped before he can terrorize any more innocents."

He looks at each of you at the table and waits, expectantly. Then he states: "I want to join Dungeon Busters."

You look at one another. It wasn't so long ago that you were just as eager to join Cecily's endeavor, so you can feel for him. But did Cecily talk to you about recruitment? Which of you would handle that?
Dec 15, 2015 9:26 am
"What if you spent some time working with us, and after, say, a week, we decide if you're up for it." I speak up as I finish my last bit of fruit.
Dec 15, 2015 12:13 pm
"Do you have the funds for the membership fee? Training isn't free you know. If you do well, it will be returned to you after a period of time. Consider it an investment." I nod sagely towards him.

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Persuasion - (1d20+2)

(18) + 2 = 20

Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm
Thacogygax greets each if the Dungeon Busters with a toothy smile. He listens with interest to the discussion of Durren's recruitment.
Dec 15, 2015 3:59 pm
Aanbo, having finished his morning ritual and breakfast early, greets everyone quietly. He allows them to finish their meal and business with Durren, and says, "I will see to our provisions for Orlane. I assume that is our next destination?"

While Black seems like a dire threat, Aanbo is thinking that unless more information is revealed it is better to address the more-direct need in Orlane.
Dec 15, 2015 6:13 pm
Durren nods, considering, and then replies in his strangely lilting voice, speaking archaic and formal Imperial. "I understood it was more of a profit-sharing enterprise. Besides, methinks I shall undertake my training with Cormac, even if I shall be working with you." He smiles at Sara. "My thanks to this gracious lady for the kind offer." He takes a seat and Tap brings him a trencher of porridge. He can't help but stare at Thacogygax's teeth, which look so similar and yet subtly different from any reptilian thing from this world.

"The next question must needs be what path we shall take." As if on cue, Aanbo appears and mentions Orlane.

Rolls

DM roll - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Dec 15, 2015 6:41 pm
Ogbar stares at Durren for a moment, he looks competent enough but he also got in Ogbar's way the day before which doesn't sit well with the barbarian, "You can come with us, just don't get in my way again..."
Dec 15, 2015 6:52 pm
Durren responds gravely. "I extend mine deepest apologies and contrition to thy person, and regret that mine actions imperiled you. My custom amongst the elves hath long been to prevent bloodshed, and I mistook thy attacks as aggression rather than the defense of the innocent I now know them to have been. Mayhap I can make amends to thee; certes I shall try. Forsooth, you are a doughty warrior and I would be thy friend." He completes this with an elaborate bow, made all the more impressive because he's sitting down and eating porridge at a trestle table.
Dec 15, 2015 7:15 pm
"Profit-sharing for members, perhaps. As it is, you are not yet a member" I say matter-of-factly. I sure hope this one doesn't get in my way either. We have a reputation to build. We don't have time babysitting newbies. "I sure hope you're a quick learner, or this could go very badly for you. Things happen in battle, is all I'm sayin'." I wink, and with that I head back to my room to gather the rest of my things. Here's hoping they are all ready to leave by the time I get back.
Last edited December 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Dec 16, 2015 5:46 pm
As the party is eating and talking, more customers have arrived: single farmers coming in after working the fields before the dawn, guardsmen coming off of their shifts, and the occasional traveler. As you are finishing your repast, Devane approaches the table. Good morning, atventurers! Yesterday you whir asking abut Orlane. This morning, dare is a man who has come from Orlane and had some trouble."

Devane directs the group to another table, where a distraught merchant sits, recounting his tale of woe to a few sympathetic listeners. "I was heading down Cecily's Road and they come out the trees, blocking our path. They greets us and thanks us for making a donation to the 'Black fund.' I says I dunno about a donation, and they says they'd be taking our goods for Black. 'Black the Bandit?' I says. 'Not likely!' says Jack, and Gruff draws his sword and spurs his horse forward. 'Black the Butcher!' they says, and arrows come shooting out the trees and Gruff falls. Jack turns and takes an arrow in the side as he yells 'Wellin, gimme your hand!' I grab him and he pulls me in the saddle in front of him and we rides like blazes back here. Wasn't till old Hammer - that's Jack's horse - wasn't till old Hammer slows down that I takes a moment to think, and I find that poor Jack's taken an arrow to the back and is sore in need of aid. He died sometime in the night, as I was taking us back here, to Hochoch. I just took him to Diana. I…I guess I'll have to let his wife know, now, and Gruff's sons. Dunno what I'll do after that; all my goods were on that wagon…"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.