InterestCheck:Mysterious Dreaming system undecided

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 31, 2019 10:44 pm
So, I had the beginnings of an idea for a mini-arc game where there is a supernatural/occult mystery partially explored through the real world and partially explored through dream sequences. With some face-your-fears and possible character drama included. Don’t know if there would be interest or what system I would use.
Last edited October 31, 2019 10:45 pm
Oct 31, 2019 10:46 pm
I would be very interested in playing something like that.
Nov 7, 2019 9:16 pm
Same here, that sounds like it could be really fun. Maybe PDQ or Fate for this? Could even use different systems, like NWOD for waking life and Don't Lose Your Head for dream life.
Nov 9, 2019 11:08 pm
Interested in playing too, sounds very intriguing
Nov 10, 2019 9:45 pm
Hello all! Good to know there's interest, I wasn't sure if there would be.
virtualbasement says:
Same here, that sounds like it could be really fun. Maybe PDQ or Fate for this? Could even use different systems, like NWOD for waking life and Don't Lose Your Head for dream life.
Not familiar with PDQ, heard it is a generalist FATE-like system. Dont know Dont Lose Your Head at all.
Have done a bit of NWOD and FATE.
Do kind of like the idea of two systems. Dont know what others think of that... could get janky running two character sheets for you players?
Nov 12, 2019 3:43 pm
PhoenixScientist says:
Hello all! Good to know there's interest, I wasn't sure if there would be.

Not familiar with PDQ, heard it is a generalist FATE-like system. Dont know Dont Lose Your Head at all.
Have done a bit of NWOD and FATE.
Do kind of like the idea of two systems. Dont know what others think of that... could get janky running two character sheets for you players?
Yeah, PDQ is a generalist system. The core rules are free on Drive Thru RPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/28913/Prose-Descriptive-Qualities-PDQ-System-Core-Rules. As far as different systems, you're right that having two sheets might not work that great. I think it's fine to use one system for both settings; the idea of realistic characters in an unrealistic/dreamlike setting can be fun.
Nov 19, 2019 8:52 pm
PhoenixScientist sent a note to Moonbeam
PhoenixScientist sent a note to virtualbasement
PhoenixScientist sent a note to Dr_B
So, Final thoughts. Don't know if I want to learn a whole new system, but I could work with Fate(either) or WOD.
Yes/No to two sheets?
Yes/No to either system?
Nov 19, 2019 8:59 pm
Quote:
Yes/No to two sheets?
Yes/No to either system?
OK, my humble opinions :

-No to double character sheet if it can be avoided (maybe a section of 'dream skills/abilities' that can only be used during dreaming, but on the same character sheet would do the trick.)

-No to dual system (i think it would complicate things)

-I would have to learn these systems, so either Fate or WOD is fine for me.
Last edited November 19, 2019 9:00 pm
Nov 19, 2019 9:15 pm
OOC:
FYI, I see above there was a note sent to me, but the note seemed to be blank.
Last edited November 19, 2019 9:16 pm
Nov 20, 2019 1:39 am
Moonbeam says:
OOC:
FYI, I see above there was a note sent to me, but the note seemed to be blank.
Yeah I know. it's a way to ask everyone a question. it's like @tagging. the only real way to do that here
But we have two no's on dual system/character sheet. so we won't do that. So we're just choosing which system now
Last edited November 20, 2019 1:41 am
Nov 20, 2019 3:56 pm
I'm more familiar with WOD, but I've wanted to try out Fate. If you're okay with system amateurs, I vote Fate system.
Nov 20, 2019 10:03 pm
virtualbasement says:
I'm more familiar with WOD, but I've wanted to try out Fate. If you're okay with system amateurs, I vote Fate system.
Yeah. I have no problems with newbies.
Nov 20, 2019 10:28 pm
I know more about FATE than I do about WOD, but I've never actually played a game in either system. I'd prefer not to have double character sheets or to mix the systems, but I'm fine with learning either one.
Nov 21, 2019 8:59 pm
It looks like we're leaning towards FATE, So...
I guess a last question would be (since I am happy with either)
FATE Core or Fate Accelerated?
Any Thoughts?
Nov 21, 2019 9:10 pm
If you don't mind rules explanations , I wouldn't mind Core.
But if you think a more agile system is needed for people who haven't played FATE, then go for the lighter version.
Nov 21, 2019 11:16 pm
I know they are both pretty light and adaptable (one of the nice things about FATE). It is kind of more... Do you want the rolls to be a more loosey-goosey How I do it, or a more strict (for FATE) What I do.

Because Fate Core has the skills which is more about what you do.
[ +- ] Skills
The Fate Accelerated has Approaches so it is about how you do things.
[ +- ] Approaches
The stunts are a bit different too.

Fate Core stunts are actually the looser of the two systems, and you can choose to give a bonus (+2) or switch skills or use a skill in a unique way.
[ +- ] Examples
Fate Accelerated stunts are specific to using your Approaches when you use actions in certain situations or really nice bonuses once per session.
[ +- ] Examples
Last edited November 21, 2019 11:48 pm
Nov 25, 2019 3:32 pm
I'm leaning towards Accelerated, it feels like having the Approaches would really help define what kind of character you are trying to play. And the looser "how do you try to handle it?" seems like it would fit the premise of the game a bit better.
Nov 26, 2019 5:00 pm
Do you want to open a thread for character creation there?

You do not have permission to post in this thread.