Giving Tuesday: Take Two

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 3, 2019 5:53 pm
For those unaware, there is an attempt at labeling the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, Giving Tuesday. To try to counteract the crazy level of consumerism Black Friday and Cyber Monday have risen to, Giving Tuesday is the idea of giving back. For those unaware, I'm a big fan of AbleGamers, and have made a $200 donation to them today.

I also think this is a great idea and would like to keep it going year round. I tried last year, got a few weeks, and failed, but I'm going to try to make a post each Monday evening/Tuesday morning soliciting charities you all think are good, and will pick one each week to donate $25 to (I will review each charity, it's overhead, any comments/ratings, etc before choosing, and may opt to take none of the suggestions in any given week). You'll all be welcome to donate to said charity as well, and I'll do my best to pick trustworthy charities.
Dec 3, 2019 7:01 pm
Me and bowl were just looking into something like this and I like those "plant a tree" initiatives ;)

Things like heart foundations and Macmillan cancer could be interesting choices as well, as they fund research and provide medical and family support (I think). Lastly, I’d look into fostering charities (just from memory) :)
Last edited December 3, 2019 7:04 pm
Dec 3, 2019 7:25 pm
Since I live in California my favorite charity is City of Hope. One of their areas of special focus is Diabetes from which I've suffered for over 15 years. Also, being on a fixed income now it would be difficult for me to donate every week. I applaud the effort because you could easily catch a new person every week. Regular, steady donations are probably well received.
Dec 3, 2019 11:19 pm
I always tell people one of the best organizations for donating is your local food bank. When you are struggling the most, food and sustenance are of utmost importance and sometimes the most difficult to obtain. If your local area doesn't have one, then consider one in an area recently struck by disaster. For example, after Hurricane Harvey we donated to food banks in the Houston area, and I encouraged others to do the same. As I like to tell people, the fact that we so often take food for granted to the point of being super picky about when/what we eat goes to show how fortunate we are. There are people that are not so fortunate.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.