How to Post as Character when you are GM

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 30, 2019 7:35 pm
I have seen this done -- but how does one do this. I created a character submitted to my Game but it does not give me the option to post as them?
Dec 30, 2019 7:39 pm
The character has to be approved by the GM. But if you are the GM and submitting a sheet, it should automatically approve it so that can't be the issue. Is the name field of your sheet filled in?
Dec 30, 2019 8:02 pm
And an avatar saved to the sheet? That is also a critical step.
Dec 30, 2019 8:10 pm
Okay the Sheet has a name both for the sheet and within the sheet and the sheet was given an avatar --- and the character sheet is under my name when I view the game however when I go to post I get no option (like I do as a player) to post as anyone but myself (the GM)
Dec 30, 2019 8:12 pm
How long ago did you create the character? It usually takes about 24 hours for the option to become available, in my experience.
Dec 30, 2019 8:29 pm
For me is automatic and right away. Once the character with a name and an avatar had been submitted, you only need to refresh the post page for it to be available in the drop down menu.
Dec 30, 2019 8:30 pm
Qralloq says:
For me is automatic and right away. Once the character with a name and an avatar had been submitted, you only need to refresh the post page for it to be available in the drop down menu.
This has always been my experience as well. Maybe a link to the game where you're having the issue could help us?
Dec 30, 2019 8:34 pm
Qralloq says:
This might be true for a game where you're the GM, but it has never been true for me as a player. I've always had to wait for a long time for the option to post as the character to materialize.
Dec 30, 2019 8:35 pm
Moonbeam says:
Qralloq says:
This might be true for a game where you're the GM, but it has never been true for me as a player. I've always had to wait for a long time for the option to post as the character to materialize.
Oh yeah, that's because the GM has to approve your character first :)

If you are the GM, it's instantaneous.
Dec 30, 2019 8:35 pm
The last thing to check would be the image format. If you upload some kind of crazy third party file, it might be ignored, but a jpg, gif, or png all work.

If you edit the sheet and click avatar, it will show a preview if it's been successfully uploaded.
Dec 30, 2019 8:38 pm
Moonbeam says:
Qralloq says:
Picardian facepalm. Oh yeah. If you're not the GM, you have to wait until the GM actually clicks Approve, and there is no way to tell if they have or haven't (other than the Post As issue you're trying to solve).
Dec 30, 2019 8:42 pm
Qralloq says:
Picardian facepalm. Oh yeah. If you're not the GM, you have to wait until the GM actually clicks Approve, and there is no way to tell if they have or haven't (other than the Post As issue you're trying to solve).
Interesting. I've had GMs swear that they approved the character and still had an inexplicable wait time.
Dec 30, 2019 8:46 pm
Scratch that - I think I'm conflating posting-as-character with the appearance of the avatar on the character option. I believe it's the latter that usually takes a while to show up. Never mind!
Dec 30, 2019 10:07 pm
Okay well here is a link to the game

Of course if you not a moderator I do not think having that link will help any
Last edited December 30, 2019 10:08 pm
Dec 30, 2019 10:27 pm
Moonbeam says:
Scratch that - I think I'm conflating posting-as-character with the appearance of the avatar on the character option. I believe it's the latter that usually takes a while to show up. Never mind!
The avatar showing up depends on your browsers cache settings sometimes. I'll be addressing this in future upgrades.
Dec 30, 2019 10:29 pm
So you're trying to post as Shahadur, DeJoker? The character has a label; I assume it has a name and avatar? And if you look on the Game Details page, you don't see it as pending under you? If all this is set, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to post as it.
Dec 31, 2019 1:06 am
Okay I think I figured it out -- I think the image was too big as everything else was as it should be and once I made it a much smaller pic it works fine.
Jan 1, 2020 8:59 pm
How do you post as multiple characters as GM. Example: I want to be Mr X in one post and then Mr Y in the next. I only seem to be able to submit one character though so what am I missing.
Jan 1, 2020 9:19 pm
You can create and submit as many characters as you want. If you're the GM, they are automatically approved. Click on "Characters" in the top menu, click "All characters," then scroll to the bottom to create a new character. Then go to your game page and submit the characters.
Jan 1, 2020 9:31 pm
That's what I did so I figured I was doing something wrong. I'll mess around with it again because I m obviously still doing something wrong. :-)
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.