Shotgun Diaries Out of Character Discussion

Jan 21, 2016 6:40 am
I updated the rules, to incorporate Gameplay and Character Advancement sections as well. I also added one more thing to the character sheet ("Fear:"), so please note that for those that have already started making your characters.

@spaceseeker19: I fixed the thread so that dice can be rolled if you weren't happy with what you got otherwise. I'd previously turned it off because you generally don't need dice for character creation in this game and I didn't want the feature confusing anyone. It's back on again...
Jan 22, 2016 6:02 am
I've submitted characters. I went with a Clever Survivor and a Fast Survivor. Their backgrounds are relatively vague and subject to change depending on the specific details we set up for the story. Right now both were on trips that had them away from their homes, but I can change things up if need be. Nothing is set in stone.
Jan 22, 2016 7:42 am
No, I was just logging in to say those are really awesome back stories for both of them. I'd say leave them just like that...

The surfer's history of having been with numerous other survivors and groups before bad things left him isolated again really fits the one of The Shotgun Diaries central themes I think, that being the dynamic nature of survivor groups and how relationships are pretty short lived in this world, and long companionships may only last a few days at best sometimes.
Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm
I'll just create the characters on sheets and submit them; the character creation thread is locked now.
Jan 22, 2016 6:11 pm
Damn, alright I'm done messing with buttons now; everything is back to normal... All threads are now officially unlocked, and dice can be rolled, you can even turn over the cards even though this game doesn't use them. I won't touch anything else. It just took me a bit to figure out how the buttons work.

That's alright though, spaceseeker19, the character's on sheets and submitted is simple enough to use and maybe even preferable. Those are good characters. I like Leland's approach to everything going sour.
Jan 22, 2016 6:47 pm
This game hasn't even started and I'm having issues. I know character death is a thing that will happen and potentially often, but I don't want Cola to die...shes to cool in my head. Hope the dice are kind to her. Connor is cool to, but if he bites it early, I won't mourn too long.
Jan 22, 2016 7:17 pm
Oh wait, you liked Cola? I had the game starting with her with a bomb strapped to a vest she was wearing, while walking the plank on a pirate ship over a school of zombie sharks, while a fire burned the ship into the sea that was 1000 miles from anywhere.

Hmm... I'll have to make some adjustments before the game begins.

Who doesn't like one of the characters they made?
Jan 23, 2016 7:23 pm
Submitted my two characters.
Jan 23, 2016 7:52 pm
Just wanted to say hello to the other players. Looking forward to playing with all of you.
Jan 23, 2016 9:17 pm
Hey guys, just a quick note before the game begins so we're on the same page.

Before we get the game started on Monday, I wanted to know if there was any questions you had, any expectations you have of me, and more importantly if you have any sensitivities you would like me to be aware of. As you know, this is a game in which society has collapsed and violent things happen. It'd be no surprise that were many of the events that may be depicted in this game to be included into a movie, that movie would be rated R (or PG-13 at the very least). However, we don't live in that world IRL, and some things may be considered unpalatable even to roleplay. Some issues that may need to be addressed are as follows:

Language: I sometimes use language and profanity in and out of character. Some characters and NPCs use it more or less than others. I don't really have a problem with it, and I don't have a problem with others using it. Some players on an online forum might not be old enough for that sort of stuff, though, and some players are adults but still don't like it. I don't really think the F-Word is important enough that it needs to be tossed around at the expense of someone's fun, so if you have an issue with strong language please let me know (PM is fine if you don't want to address it with the group) and I will make mention that we're going to keep the language PG-13 for this game; it's not a problem. Otherwise, let's just play and whatever writing style you feel most comfortable using is great, and I don't have a problem with language...

Sexually Explicit themes: I'm not really a fan of "rapey/molestey/incest stuff" in my games. Certainly not in graphic detail. It's never been an issue before but if someone does take the game that direction I'm going to do my best to take it another direction immediately, and then I'm just going to flat out squash it. I get that crappy sexual stuff like that would probably happen in a lawless society, but I don't think it needs to be part of a game we play. It's sort of weird, and it makes people feel weird.

Violence against kids, pets, or other helpless PCs or NPCs: That's pretty likely to happen. I mean there an in-game archetype built specifically for the purposes of having helpless cute things become a detriment to the characters' survival until they finally get ripped to pieces. I'm not going to run a game where I spend days upon days describing toddlers getting hit over the heads with hammers or anything, but having a world full of kids that were spared the gruesome rates of adults because they're kids is a different RPG (it's called Kidworld and I think it's still sounds pretty brutal). But if this theme is going to cause anyone to have a hard time enjoying the game, let me know and we'll put one of these up briefly during the worst parts or something:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kvX7TFA4jV0/hqdefault.jpg

If there's anything else I've failed to address (I probably have), please let me know in this thread or PM if that makes you more comfortable. Otherwise, the game will begin with a post in a new thread sometime shortly after Midnight Mountain-time Monday morning (mmmm)...

Good luck!
Jan 23, 2016 11:22 pm
I am completely on board with the parameters you have discussed in all three categories. Language won't bother me as long as it isn't hate-speech. Adult-sexy scenes are fine, but we can "Draw a Curtain" on them, we will know what happened without having the explicit details posted (feel free to write them up for your own pleasure though). I won't be raiding a preschool full of kid-Zs, but one or two every now and then is fine.
Jan 24, 2016 12:29 am
I'm fine with them as well. No problems on my end.
Jan 25, 2016 5:13 pm
So for initial supplies 4d6 were rolled for each character and a total of 5 sixes were rolled. So you have 5 dice you can use use from the pool to add to any rolls you'll need to make.

In the mean time, does anyone know if I can go back and EDIT the introduction post and mention "Supplies: 5" at the end of the post, or will that mess up the die roll that was made since the post was edited after the roll was made.
Jan 25, 2016 5:15 pm
((Testing something here...))

Imaginary Supplies: 2

((Alright perfect... So once a roll is made, no matter what you do to the post, the roll can be tampered with... 👌🏻))

Rolls

Testing to see if I can edit a post with a roll already made. - (24d6)

(542634136233311524352343) = 78

Jan 28, 2016 7:09 am
Just had a few quick questions about game world and play. Are there any symptoms for when a person is changing? If so, do we as characters know some of them? How does a person contract the "virus"? Just a bite or if blood gets in someone's system that could cause change too. Next a question about supplies. You stayed that supplies are just rolled for survivors. Does that also count for npc survivors too? These were just a couple things I've been wondering about.
Jan 28, 2016 5:17 pm
1. The infection is carried from one person to the next, as far as any of you have been able to tell, through fluid transmission. It's a relatively fast process, in which the person becomes weaker and weaker until they eventually die, and then reanimate shortly afterward.

2. NPCs do not roll for supplies for the group under any circumstances. NPCs also will not consume the group's supplies (that wouldn't be fair, after all). Any member of the group can volunteer to give supplies to an NPC, but as ZM I won't take them in an effort to aid an NPC. Supplies can be used by any player at any time they wish. There's basically 3 purposes of using supplies:
1) 1 supply adds 1d6 to any risk check. If you want an extra die or more to take a risk, simply declare that your survivor is using a supply or more, and declare what the supply is and how it helps make the check. There's no limit on how many supplies can be used for a risk check in this manner.
2) 1 supply gives a bonus to any risk check. The player takes one supply from the pool, and declares the die to be a weapon or tool. They do not get to roll this extra supply as another 1d6. However, by using a tool or a melee weapon the survivor passes on a "5" or "6". If the survivor turns a supply into a firearm they pass on a "4", "5", or "6". Remember only Dangerous survivors get 4d6 to use weapons (anyone can use a tool to get the bonus). If another survivor wants to use a weapon, they must either get help from other survivors to get bonus dice to roll, and/or take dice from the supply pool to roll. Only one supply can be converted to a bonus weapon or tool per risk check.
3) There's always special circumstances where the ZM may allow a survivor to waive off or remove a penalty if they want to use a supply. Typically when a survivor gets injured in a way that reduces how many dice they may roll with risks, they may use a supply to heal themselves again. Or if a peice of equipment breaks down, a supply may be used to repair said equipment.
4) supply dice are used up by one rank each time the Zombie Clock increases by one rank if the survivors are in sanctuary. This reflects food and other materials being consumed by the party.
Feb 5, 2016 4:50 pm
@Spaceseeker19: A PM has been sent.
Feb 5, 2016 6:22 pm
Can anyone tell me if they are able to view the new subforum called "Alone"? Most of you should not be able to.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.