Interest Check: Solar Blades and Cosmic Spells

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 14, 2020 4:19 pm
heres a cool game that i might try to run here.

"In an ancient age, many galaxies away...
The universe is in collapse, as planets and systems struggle for freedom under the rule of sinister despots.
Against the malevolent sorcery of the Overlords stand the few remaining bearers of the legendary Solar
Blades.
What will you do when the forces of the Void close in?
Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells is a complete Role Playing Game, inspired by the Old School Renaissance,
Pulp Literature and the many Science Fantasy stories brought to us by movies, comics and games. Based
on the Sharp Swords & Sinister Spells RPG, this game system provides players and Overlords a set of
flexible and streamlined rules, as well as an array of tools to make gameplay fast and fun, allowing them
to have exciting adventures with solar blades and cosmic spells! "

heres the full text and character and vehicle sheets from its official blog.
Jan 16, 2020 9:53 pm
I'll take a long look at the game this afternoon. Not sure what kind of character might fit. Maybe after reading the text something will develop in this fading brain.
Jan 17, 2020 1:13 am
After taking a good look at the rules I'm thinking of a Cyberian Nimble Explorer/Hunter who hunts through the universe for Stardust. He could be found near any of the newer nebulae. This means that he would also be a better than average pilot.

I assume you would prefer us to roll our abilities on this site rather than with real die on a desk. The unfortunate part of that is it is extremely difficult to make a fun character when you're restricted to placing the scores in a specific order. What I came up with on my desk with my 6-sided die look like this: Physique 14, Agility 17, Intellect 12 and Willpower 8.
Jan 18, 2020 4:49 am
Aldrusian says:
After taking a good look at the rules I'm thinking of a Cyberian Nimble Explorer/Hunter who hunts through the universe for Stardust. He could be found near any of the newer nebulae. This means that he would also be a better than average pilot.

I assume you would prefer us to roll our abilities on this site rather than with real die on a desk. The unfortunate part of that is it is extremely difficult to make a fun character when you're restricted to placing the scores in a specific order. What I came up with on my desk with my 6-sided die look like this: Physique 14, Agility 17, Intellect 12 and Willpower 8.
i like it!
Jan 18, 2020 10:28 am
I came up with a guy who is addicted to cyber implants. I am thinking a Human Smart with higher physique and intellect and maybe 3 - 4 implants if I roll high enough. Ideally I would take Type III arm with built in weapon(s), two type II's and then type I somewhere. He would be good with tech obviously, tending to his implants and maybe ship but bad at social interactions. I would prefer to roll in designated thread since from my table rolls the highest was 11.
Jan 19, 2020 3:52 am
Beast says:
I came up with a guy who is addicted to cyber implants. I am thinking a Human Smart with higher physique and intellect and maybe 3 - 4 implants if I roll high enough. Ideally I would take Type III arm with built in weapon(s), two type II's and then type I somewhere. He would be good with tech obviously, tending to his implants and maybe ship but bad at social interactions. I would prefer to roll in designated thread since from my table rolls the highest was 11.
nice. nice. i'm thinking of creating a supplement to add races like dwarves elves and orcs using their royalty free compatibility license.
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/267646/Solar-Blades--Cosmic-Spells-Compatibility-License
Last edited January 19, 2020 3:52 am
Jan 20, 2020 5:34 am
A human addicted to cybernetic implants sounds like a Cyborg to me. An awful lot like a Cyberian. I'm reading a book right now in which one of the characters is a cyborg. There are some very interested aspects presented that I may be able to use for my Cyberian but I won't mention who the author is or the name of the book because the writing is so bad that I keep wondering why I'm ready it. It's filled on nearly every page with atrocious grammar, misspellings and completely made up words.
Jan 20, 2020 8:18 am
Aldrusian says:
A human addicted to cybernetic implants sounds like a Cyborg to me. An awful lot like a Cyberian. I'm reading a book right now in which one of the characters is a cyborg. There are some very interested aspects presented that I may be able to use for my Cyberian but I won't mention who the author is or the name of the book because the writing is so bad that I keep wondering why I'm ready it. It's filled on nearly every page with atrocious grammar, misspellings and completely made up words.
Yeah, but aren't cyberians transcendent? Like, no fleshy parts. I'm thinking about a guy who is obsessed with inperfections of his body and that's why he replaces various parts but never aims for replacing ALL parts. Truth to be told I was inspired by Sharp from Invisible Inc. game.
Jan 21, 2020 4:16 am
My take on Cyberians is that they are complete cyborgs. That means to me that everything about them except their brains are mechanical or electronic. What that means for strength, agility and sensory abilities I have no idea yet. That would be up to our fearless game master. Which reminds me, it would be a good idea to put a thread together in the forum that has been set up for us to help us detail our characters.. And for anyone reading this, we need two or three more players. Rules are pretty easy to follow. And if I can say that those of you who have played here for awhile should not have any problem with them.
Jan 21, 2020 4:43 am
Aldrusian says:
My take on Cyberians is that they are complete cyborgs. That means to me that everything about them except their brains are mechanical or electronic. What that means for strength, agility and sensory abilities I have no idea yet. That would be up to our fearless game master. Which reminds me, it would be a good idea to put a thread together in the forum that has been set up for us to help us detail our characters.. And for anyone reading this, we need two or three more players. Rules are pretty easy to follow. And if I can say that those of you who have played here for awhile should not have any problem with them.
no problem. i made a character Sheet page right here
Jan 24, 2020 10:12 am
I want to say I am fascinated to want to join in, but I'm on game reduction phase, so yeah.
But if I do join, I'm thinking of playing a melee warrior that wields solar blades.
Jan 25, 2020 3:44 am
RoAries says:
I want to say I am fascinated to want to join in, but I'm on game reduction phase, so yeah.
But if I do join, I'm thinking of playing a melee warrior that wields solar blades.
what's game reduction phase? i'm new here.
Jan 25, 2020 4:08 am
He's playing in too many games and wants to cut back but is willing to pick and choose carefully what he wants to play and what he can live without. I've been there many times in the last 42 years of playing D&D.
Jan 25, 2020 10:44 pm
Aldrusian says:
He's playing in too many games and wants to cut back but is willing to pick and choose carefully what he wants to play and what he can live without. I've been there many times in the last 42 years of playing D&D.
that makes sense.

BTW do you have any advice for a beginner GM ?
Jan 26, 2020 2:33 am
1) The game is supposed to be fun for all

2) The players out number the GM -- refer to rule number one

3) They are Guidelines -- not Rules -- so rules lawyers and the term RAW are absolutely meaningless -- refer to rule number one

4) The GMs job is to balance the characters against one another -- as they can do anything they want to with the game to make it challenging and refer to rule number one

If you would like more thoughts and stuff on GMing I have a "Game" called Storytelling 101 that has other things that I have posted and I would be more than happy to discuss other things about being the GM
Last edited January 26, 2020 2:33 am
Jan 26, 2020 4:28 am
DeJoker says:
1) The game is supposed to be fun for all

2) The players out number the GM -- refer to rule number one

3) They are Guidelines -- not Rules -- so rules lawyers and the term RAW are absolutely meaningless -- refer to rule number one

4) The GMs job is to balance the characters against one another -- as they can do anything they want to with the game to make it challenging and refer to rule number one

If you would like more thoughts and stuff on GMing I have a "Game" called Storytelling 101 that has other things that I have posted and I would be more than happy to discuss other things about being the GM
thanks! have you thought about joining this game too?
Jan 26, 2020 5:40 am
Not at this time plates full -- I just follow along with things in case I have something I can toss out there such as that
Jan 26, 2020 6:40 am
DeJoker says:
Not at this time plates full -- I just follow along with things in case I have something I can toss out there such as that
darn, well thats okay, i can wait.
Jan 29, 2020 9:56 am
If you are in need of 1 more player, I can offer to be one. But this is if you feel you are lacking in players, not if you have extra space. I'm just having a growing fond of science fantasy as it's the genre of a world I'm building.
Jan 29, 2020 10:03 am
bigfootRULES says:
[
no problem. i made a character Sheet page right here
BTW, the link can't be accessed due to the page being only allowed to be seen by the GM. Maybe copy and paste the sheet if it's just a text format under a spoiler in the thread.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.