PbP Guide

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 6, 2016 1:55 am
I'm not sure if this belongs here or on the Site Discussions thread. The past couple of days I've been posting invitations to join Gamers Plane on a bunch of RPG-themed Facebook communities I'm a member of. Here's one of the comments I got:
Quote:
Tim: Can anyone recommend a good guide to PbP games? I understand the high-level concept, but I'm not clear on how a game is actually run. A guide of some sort would be more helpful than trying to follow along with a campaign - I've tried before and found that there are terms or abbreviations I don't understand, and to be quite honest, I don't have the time to go looking up each term individually.

John: This is a good guide. Each PbP is going to have minor variations, just like each gaming table will be slightly different, but there's a lot of similarities.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?257924-Guide-to-Play-by-Post-Games

One of the nice features of Gamers Plane (GP) is being able to follow along games that you're not playing in. As long as the game is Public (the 13A game Jabes mentioned isn't, unfortunately), anyone with a GP account can read what's transpiring. So you might check a game or two out. Here's a 13A game I started running a while back before it fizzled (still thinking about starting it back up though!)
http://gamersplane.com/forums/192/

Beyond that, PbP can be boiled down to simply writing what your character does/says/things/etc instead of verbalizing it at a table. I've found that being able to share what the characters are thinking contributes to better character development.

Tim: Thanks for the links and the info, John. I appreciate it, and will check the info out when I'm not at work.

Jabes: This is good info, Nick! I'm going to suggest that we have a "Guide to PbP" on Gamers Plane. In the meantime, Tim Baker, I wholeheartedly suggest just diving in. To me, that's the best way to learn. The community is very friendly and helpful, and would be happy to help you with any questions you might have. Cheers! smile emoticon
My question/suggestion is this: Maybe we should have a Guide to PbP on here? :-) I remember Spaceseeker19 made a guide for one of his games before where he was expecting some people new to GP. That and the GITP guide linked above by njohn858 seem like good starting points.
Last edited February 6, 2016 5:12 am
Feb 6, 2016 3:45 am
I think this is fantastic. We started a discussion about doing a communal guide, though it kinda fizzled out. Maybe starting out with a general guide is the best way to go. I'm gonna rename this thread, lets discuss sections here, and lets start up a thread.
Feb 6, 2016 11:04 am
So...I would think that a PbP guide for Gamer's Plane would include some sort of "How Does PbP work?" information, a "Getting Started" section, and a series of "How Do I?" questions and answers (an FAQ, I guess) for using the site in general. The idea of explaining in the general case "How Does PbP work?" hadn't occurred to me, but I think it's a great idea. We (OK, I should say "I") tend to assume that people coming to GP are familiar with play-by-post, just because most of my peers are. But, along the same lines, should we include a bit about what RPGs are? If so, I might be able to leverage articles I've written on the subject, from as long ago as when I was at university and we had fairs at the student union building where I would man a booth for our club and try to explain to students, educators and advisors what I meant by "role-playing."

But maybe that level is not necessary...? I tend to err on the side of providing too much information whenever I work on a guide or FAQ; it's a relic of my technical writing background.
Feb 6, 2016 11:35 am
I think most people coming to this site will know what role playing is, and they have most likely played a tabletop before. I like Space's idea of an "How Do I?" section, but what other sections should we have? Here are some that I can think of:

1. What is Play-by-Post / Why Play-by-Post?
-Description on how PbP works and the benefits of using this style of play
-Include a short example gameplay. (I feel like will skip the whole guide if the first section isn't entertaining enough)
-End with either a link to the "Introductions" or "Games Tavern" forum.

2. How to play
-Post etiquette (Frequency of posting, grammar, ect)
-Creating posts (How to add dice, formatting, how to use OOC)

3. How to use the site
-Create a character
-Join a game
-Create a game

We could eventually have sections on how to best run/play specific games as well.

//Handle
Last edited February 6, 2016 11:49 am
Feb 6, 2016 2:53 pm
The previous discussion was about guides for specific systems; I think separate threads for specific systems is best. I'll start working on my version of an introduction para today/tomorrow.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.