Chapter 2.2 - Epilogue

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 6, 2016 3:34 pm
When the characters awake, you find yourselves floating in the ruins of the asteroid. The explosion doesn't seem to have damaged anything, so it likely wasn't an explosion of force. The orb rests inertly in the center of the asteroid, and doesn't look any the worse for wear.

The dozen or so aliens are all floating about the interior, either dead or unconscious. Awium is shaking himself awake near the ruined console.

When aliens do awake, they seem much more agreeable, and surrender immediately. They babble their story out only semi-coherently.

They belong to a people that evolved in a different part of the galaxy. As they grew in power, their explorers discovered The Strange network and began to wander further about the galaxy. Like the feeble shrieks of an infant, their squabblings eventually drew the attention of a planetovore and their world was consumed.

The survivors, those who could flee into the Strange, were those who learned to navigate the unreal reality of the dark energy network and left. But a few sought out the planetovore and began to work with it, hoping to find meaning or understanding of what had befallen their home. But the ways of the planetovore were mysterious and incomprehensible and instead of enlightenment, they found only the slavery of a parasite to a host.

Many lifetimes have passed, and the aliens before you are the descendants of that people. What horrifies you to learn is that the planetovore is the asteroid itself! The asteroid itself is an interdimensionally complex object, and is much larger than it seems, like a recursion, you suppose. The orb itself - they are not sure what it is. What they do know is that the planetovore will wake up, and will punish the parasites that have disrupted it's routine.

You flee the asteroid to The Ilsidur anchored to the outside of the asteroid, with 4 alien survivors. Awium moves his craft away from the sleeping planetovore to return to Tombstone Station. After studying his instruments for some time, he begins calling up maps, switching frantically through his entire database of Strange navigation charts and then leans back and lets out what the racially indelicate might call a howl of frustration.

"I don't know where we are. We've moved an incalculable distance into The Strange. We could on the otherside of the universe for all I know. I don't even know what direction Earth is." Outside, the asteroid shudders 'awake' and begins to move toward you.
Here ends the adventure. I want to thank each of you for playing The Strange with me. For the sake of closure, you can each mark 3 xp on your character sheets, haha.
Feb 6, 2016 4:49 pm
Thanks for running it, I had a very enjoyable time playing!
Feb 6, 2016 5:31 pm
Good times! Too bad it's come to an end.

Not sure what kind of Gamers Plane game to play next. What are you guys already doing or going to do?
Feb 6, 2016 5:48 pm
I'm thinking about startling a Feng Shui 2 game in a few weeks. Other than that, I'm playing in like 6 or 7 games at the moment.

I wouldn't mind some feedback on the game, as it's the first pbp I've run. In particular, did you feel that your choices mattered (it seemed at times to be a bit of a railroad to me) and did you feel your characters had anything personal at stake (again that seemed hard to do with recursion jumping).
Feb 6, 2016 5:51 pm
Thanks for letting me jump in on the end. I'm in a few myself ultrann I was trying to get in on dungeon world but asked it was open and was too late to get a slot. If you like the system for the strange the cipher ruleset is somewhat the same , foolsmask is trying to start a superhero setting cipher game
Feb 6, 2016 7:36 pm
Cool. I just finished live-RPG GM'ing a nine-session adventure using Cypher System superheroes genre. It was a lot of fun! I will check out foolsmask
Feb 6, 2016 7:50 pm
I'd like to jump into that Feng Shui game given the chance, as I just picked up the core rulebook, and it looks like it would be a fun system. I'm currently in a bunch of different games (mostly 5E with some other stuff thrown in for spice) and running a 5E campaign.

As far as running the games I've seen two predominantly different styles here on GP:

One is where the GM sets the stage, so to speak, and all of the PCs react, then rinse and repeat. I think this has the advantage of making it easier for everyone to follow but can allow a game to bog down if some of the players aren't as responsive. Both of the games I've run on here have been more or less this style and has worked out quite well as the four players have been very active. Grandmaster was running his Numenera game (The Assassin's Heart) in this style as well (which was my first PbP experience) and I have shamelessly copied a lot of what he had done.

The other is a more free flowing style where a PC and GM go back and forth without any interaction from the other players. This is great for not holding up play and for dialog heavy encounters, I think, but I have a hell of a time keeping track of what's going on during the game (especially when there are a lot of posts in a short time). This is mostly due to the fact that I don't have access to this site when a lot of these types of posts are being made so I kind of get lost.

I had very little trouble following what was happening in this game, thought it was well run. A little bit of rail-roading is necessary I think in a game in which you already have a story planned out (non-open word).
Feb 6, 2016 11:39 pm
Thanks for the feedback, Szemely. You're definitely welcome in the Feng Shui game.
Feb 6, 2016 11:41 pm
Thanks for running this Qralloq. I had fun. I think we all did. As for your feedback request, I'd say that I felt out choices definitely mattered. Any game with a storyline, or some goal like what it seemed this one did, will inevitably feel a bit like a railroad. For me, this is perfectly fine though. I don't like sandbox games because I think they feel like they have no direction/motivation/drive/whatever.
As for if I feel my character had anything personal at stake... AJ basically lived to provide for and protect his sister. He perceived every danger as a threat to her, so ... yeah.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.