Has anyone else noticed a slow-down in their game?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 24, 2020 6:35 pm
I would expect the opposite with everyone being stuck at home but the 5e game I'm running seems to have ground to a halt. I haven't nagged my players yet but I'm honestly surprised by the lack of activity since this game was really clicking along nicely. I had one player have to drop out for real world issues (perfectly understandable) and added in one of my reserve players from the bullpen but everyone seems to have stopped posting. I don't know if the interruption killed the momentum but hopefully it will pick up again.

I'm mainly curious if this is a trend anyone else is seeing or if it's just particular to my game.
Mar 24, 2020 6:37 pm
It's really erratic at the moment. Some people have lots of time, others none suddenly. A couple of my games have slowed down while in others there's no difference. But it's definitely not just your 5e game where it happened
Mar 24, 2020 6:51 pm
Yes I just thought that and saw this post! My theory is everyone is working at home now and it doesn't offer the same "freedom" since now there are kids or other distractions. You aren't stuck at work nowadays. At home there's usually plenty to do.
Mar 24, 2020 7:04 pm
Yea, some no change, some slowed, some maybe even seen to have stopped.
Mar 24, 2020 7:10 pm
What Windyridge said. In addition, this is the end of the first business quarter, and some might be busy meeting deadlines.
Mar 24, 2020 7:40 pm
Anyone wanna form a Coalition of the Bored?

Start up some game in a to-be-agreed-upon system, with the understanding that it might end at a moment's notice if anyone's situation changes or games pick back up again?
Mar 24, 2020 7:41 pm
Depending on the system/setting/concept, I might be up for it.
I'm sure we can come up with a reasonable in-universe explanation for why people might drop in or out randomly
Mar 24, 2020 8:06 pm
Definitely erratic in my game as well. I think it's as Windyridge says.
Mar 24, 2020 8:46 pm
I've noticed a slowdown as well, but I don't mind. It gives me more time to work on other projects.
Mar 24, 2020 9:31 pm
I don't mind either. I was really just curious if others were seeing the same thing. I'll just be patient for a while and nag them if they don't post in another day or so.
Mar 25, 2020 1:49 am
yes I have as well but with everything going on it is not surprising even though it seems like some would have more time.
Mar 25, 2020 2:36 am
I can't speak for everyone, but some may now be furloughed or unemployed as non-essential businesses are required to shutter, so they may be scrambling to file for unemployment insurance or find some means of providing for themselves and their family.

Take care of yourselves and your loved ones, and be safe!
Mar 25, 2020 3:10 am
Personally, I do have more time now that I'm working from home, but I have less mental capacity because I'm often consumed by worry. This has led to some erratic bursts of activity punctuated by virtual paralysis.
Mar 25, 2020 8:47 am
Personally, my primary income comes from a start up project I am working on, which at the moment doesn't take much of my time anymore as the borders are closed, however, my secondary income comes from my business which is technically considered to be essential but that may change at any moment. So now my time is consumed with making sure that my business will always be essential and I need to set up delivery service as well.

I also could shut down my business for the duration of the quarantine, that would reduce my expences as I wouldn't have to pay rent, however, it would leave my employees without a job and their income as my business is small and fairly young, so I don't have the profits yet and all income goes back into the business (getting supplies, rent, salaries etc.) so I cannot send them on paid leave as there will be no income to pay their salaries.
Last edited March 25, 2020 8:48 am
Mar 25, 2020 12:24 pm
Yeah, I imagine it's hectic for many/most people right now, regardless of work situation. My games have definitely slowed down. Before, I was splitting my time between work and GP during work hours. Now, I'm splitting my time between work, multiple mandatory (and pointless) Zoom conferences per day that I have to go to now (when I would have maybe one meeting a month while working in the office), phone calls with insurance companies/family members, constant distractions at home... and if I'm lucky, I have the time to get a post up in a game or two before I'm mentally fried for the day.

and i imagine if I didn't have a job that allowed me to WFH, I would be consumed with things like filing for unemployment, desperately hunting for any odd job I could, wondering if/how I'm going to pay rent on the 1st, etc etc etc.
Last edited March 25, 2020 12:25 pm
Mar 25, 2020 1:54 pm
I don't think anyone is upset or condemning anyone, or even seeking explanations.

I at least just find myself needing an inordinate amount of distraction right now, cuz I don't want to be on any social media, I don't want to watch any news, I just want to be able to do this thing that brings me joy. Which I realize it's a luxury, but that was why I said what I said.

'Bored' was a poor choice of words, but how about: Does anyone want to form a 'Coalition of Desperate Escapists,'?

Doesn't have to be a game, we could collaborate on a world-build, or ...?
Mar 25, 2020 5:51 pm
I'm definitely up for some escapism - although I am working from home have plenty of time and would welcome any distraction from real world events.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.