RPG Players' Etiquette

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 7, 2020 1:33 am
I have a question that has to do with RPG Players' Etiquette. So lets say you as a Player join a Fantasy based game that has a Classless Rule system. Being the first Player to post in the 'Character Creation'thread, you state 'I want to play a Elf with a Rangerish Skill Set.'
Then 3 days later a Player joins the game making almost the exact same PC, down to the starting equipment, according to the DM. When you politely point it out to the newer Player. What do you think the newer Player's response should be? Also what do you think the DM should of done concerning it? I'm very interested in hearing what this gaming community has to say about this.
Last edited May 7, 2020 1:38 am
May 7, 2020 1:46 am
I think it depends on the game and DM. Having identical PCs is not unheard of, and some groups or DMs don't care. I prefer when each PC is unique, but that's me. If you don't like it, then I would let the DM know how you feel. If it's a game or group where no one cares if PCs are identical and you can live with it or make a different PC, then good. If you can't live with it, then tell the DM you'd rather opt out of the game.
May 7, 2020 2:00 am
Or you could work with your fellow players to connect stories together as some kind of duo travelling together.

Otherwise I agree with Linus. Just talk it out
May 7, 2020 2:03 am
So your saying if you are the newer Player in this instance. You have no responsibility to read what has been posted earlier in Character Creation thread, nor make inquiry concerning what PCs have been made. So as to keep from stepping on someone else's PC's toes. As well as to help have better Party balance?
Last edited May 7, 2020 2:03 am
May 7, 2020 2:05 am
I think what they are saying is that discussing this with your group and GM and coming to a mutually acceptable resolution is the best course of action for a situation like this.
May 7, 2020 2:06 am
As a DM I try to have somewhere players can discuss their ideas. If someone suggests something similar I tend to point it out carefully, and ask them to check the original player is okay with it. If the original payer isn't then the DM needs mediate a discussion between the two, possibly asking the new player to try a different concept. The players should accept the DM's ruling - It's possible they don't always realise, and the clash doesn't also effect them. They should be keeping an eye on other plans if they can though, but sometime things do get miss

As a player if I see overlap I tend to ask if the other payer is worried about toe stepping, and what sort of thing they are going for so I can make mine distinct from theirs (Eg If there are two sorcerers, and they are going DPs I may try and got support). If the DM or player shows concern about toe stepping I'll move away from the idea and leave it for another game.

It does depend on games and systems. Some with vast rules steps its very easy to be same class but very different chars, though the one you described sounds a bit easier to step on toes. As Linus said some players mind, some don't. As long as each character has something distinct, and has their moments to shine, I'm happy. If someone had practically the same character as me I might be more upset, and it does effect them as well, as you've got two characters vying to achieve the same things, but thats why you discuss.

So the DM does definitely need to check if the first player minds (I have experienced some sitting their sourly not saying anything), and in each case help mediate discussion is to be had to check both sides are happy, and to help guide them to a solution that works for all.
Last edited May 7, 2020 4:09 am
May 7, 2020 2:07 am
You are focusing on what the other player should have done, but that is irrelevant. It's already done. I would not have done it, but that doesn't help you now. That's why I made the suggestion that I did about talking to the DM.
May 7, 2020 2:09 am
Things get missed, and also people new to the hobby may not be aware of party balance or that problems can arise from similar characters, so enter with an idea in their head and don't realise to check others.

Yes it is ideal players should check and adapt to the party, but it's not end of the world as long as a discussion is had between all those involved.
May 7, 2020 2:26 am
I'm curious since your post indicates that this incident happened already. How did the newer player and DM act?

Other than that, I agree with the general consensus that you should communicate any issues you have with the game, or else you'll be stuck with those issues.
May 7, 2020 3:48 am
Some players and GMs take niche protection much more seriously than others.

As in most things, this can be resolved with discussion and a widening perspective. There's no protocol for what someone "should do." Nobody gets to call "dibs" unless "dibs" is an understood part of the process. People want to play similar characters all the time. Personally, I find it interesting to play characters similar to other peoples' to create opportunities for both dialogue on common ground, and a chance to draw contrasts in play style and character.

The first player is completely within their rights and, if they feel something about it, should probably raise their hand and express their concern, if they have them. Thing is, nobody's obligated to answer any which way, except courteously. Maybe the new player has that character burning in their soul. Maybe the GM sees need and utility for characters like that to approach the game - having two stealthy wilderness people will tilt the game towards a certain approach. Maybe the other player actually didn't think the first player would mind and is willing to change their concept. Maybe the GM doesn't see it as a problem and says if the first player is bothered by being doubled up on, they're the one who should adjust their character, if they're concerned about being mechanically unique.

Discuss. Work it out. Even if the stats are the same, the characters might be very different. Talk with the other player about where you want to draw contrasts, and see if they can make the differences in the characters highlight each others' unique traits. Or maybe they just need to hear the concern, and maybe they'll flex. Or maybe they'll give the first player a good idea on how they can flex their concept.

And if they can't talk it out in a civilized fashion, for whatever reason, then at least one person's failing the basic test to participate in a collaborative table.
Last edited May 7, 2020 3:51 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.