Silver/Bronze Age style Superheroes

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 5, 2020 6:09 pm
What should you expect from this game?

The Daily Legacy: Heroes Wanted is a superhero game with a late Silver to Bronze Age style. This means comics from the late 60s through the 70s, and possibly into the early 80s. Basically everything from the debut of the Fantastic Four up until the Dark Knight Rises and Watchmen made all things dark and edgy cool.

Stories in this game should resemble those by creators like Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Chris Claremont; with a dash of modern sensibilities thrown in. Ever played Freedom Force or read Astro City? That is what I am going for.

Expect the game to have a fairly even 50/50 split between fighting bad guys and dealing with the drama of your character’s personal life.

Each player in the game will play out their own separate adventures one on one with the GM. However, all heroes operate in the same shared universe; so events in one player’s story could have ramifications for everyone.

Permanent superhero teams and kid sidekicks do not exist in this universe. Sorry, you won’t be moving into a mansion with the other players. Occasionally, there will be "company wide" crossovers where I will invite all interested players to team up in order to stop a threat too big for any one hero to fight alone. These will not be mandatory. If you prefer to keep things solo, that is fine by me.

Because everyone will mostly be playing the game solo, you are free to keep whatever posting schedule you like. Only have time for one post per week? That’s fine. You want to post 2-3 times per day? I am onboard for that as well and everywhere in between. Just keep in mind I am generally unable to post at work, so M-F my posting hours are strictly during the evenings EST.
Game Setting

You will be entering a world that is permanently kept in the state of a silver/bronze age comic book universe. The Earth is regularly visited by advanced alien species and is home to super geniuses who invent tech far beyond what should be scientifically possible; but none of this technology ever seems to reach the hands of the common man.

The world has basically remained the same for decades now. The internet has not been invented, there are no cell phones, people read newspapers on the subway during their morning commute, and the world is a generally more idealistic place.

This is because this world is an illusion. Only two living beings are aware of this. The Warden, the world’s greatest superhero, and his arch nemesis Mortimer the Magnificent. In the real version of history, the world advanced similar to the DC and Marvel comics universes. Things progressively got darker. More cynical. Deadlier. This world didn’t make it beyond the Dark Ages of the 1990’s anti-heroes.

Heroes of the new generation forgot what it meant to be heroes and openly fought each other in the streets solely for the sake of fighting one another. They had little care about protecting the innocent and bettering the world. This attitude, combined with their increasing numbers and power levels, eventually led to a full scale war that all but ended the human race.

I know what you’re saying: This is basically Kingdom Come. Yes. I cannot argue with that. Let’s move on.

Mortimer proposed to the Warden that they combine their powers to alter reality. He explained that while turning back time and bringing everyone back from the dead is absolutely impossible, they could combine their powers to recreate a world they both know and love. This is the world that the game takes place in.

It is a magical world of adventure that never really changes, because the laws that brought it into existence do not allow it to. There must always be heroes and there must always be villains. The heroes will protect the weak and the villains will inevitably escape to scheme once more. But the darkness that took over the previous iteration of the world will never come to pass. At least as long as no one discovers the true behind this facade...

The Cities of The Daily Legacy World

The vast majority of all super powered individuals reside in one of four locations. By Mortimer’s design, certain types of heroes and villains are drawn to each location. This basically amounts to what type of superhero subgenre you want your character’s stories to take place in.

San Espero is a sprawling West Coast city of towering skyscrapers. The architecture has an atompunk retrofuture feel to it (think Fallout before the bombs dropped). This setting is home to most of your science and technology based heroes, as well as the occasional flying car.
Example characters: Iron Man, Spider-man, the Flash, Superman

Crowfall is a Northeast port city with a bit of a problem with organized crime and corruption. It is the type of city that always seems to be shrouded in fog or rain. Its many street level heroes tend to divide the city up by neighborhood in order to best protect all of the working class people who call Crowfall home.
Example characters: Batman, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Black Canary

New Atlantis is a massive floating island in the dead center of the Bermuda Triangle. A true oddity, the city is visible to the naked eye but seems to be ignored by wind and weather patterns which act as if it isn’t there at all. It is advised not to try and reach the city by airplane. Magical transportation to and from is your safest bet.
Example characters: Thor, Wonder Woman, Dr. Strange, Zatanna.

Advena was originally designed as Earth’s watchtower against intergalactic threats, but this moon base has grown into a hub of traffic to and from the Sol System. Many humans and aliens call the ever expanding base home.
Example characters: Green Lantern, Silver Surfer, Nova, Captain Marvel
Game System and Character Creation

The game will be played using the Wushu RPG system. The rules are available online for free and are incredibly easy to learn. I use this system because it offers unlimited levels of narrative flexibility and works very well with the play by post format.

Anyone interested in joining the game can apply through the game page, comment here, or send me a PM and I’ll send you an invite. Any questions, let me know. Once you settle on what type of character you would like to play, please fill out the following character sheet.

Please note that all characters should be just starting their superhero careers. The game will begin fairly shortly after the end of your origin story.

Hero Name:
Secret Identity:
City of Operation:
Super Powers/Abilities/Gadgets:
Supporting Cast Members: (This is optional. If left blank I will develop your supporting cast. This is for anyone who has specific family/friends/co-workers they want to regularly appear in their story)
Origin Story:
Traits:

Traits are the only thing above that will factor directly into the Wushu system. You should fill out keywords or phrases that describe three key aspects of your character.

Motivation: Why have you set out to fight crime? This trait will be rated 5.
Superhero: How do you fight crime? This doesn’t need to be a repeat of the above Super Powers/Abilities/Gadgets section. That is a detailed list of everything you can do. This is more of a very basic summary. This trait will have a rating of 4.
Profession: How do you support yourself in your secret identity life? Trait rating of 3.

For example, Spider-man’s traits would look like:
Motivation: 5 - With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility
Superhero: 4 - Wise Cracking Human Spider
Profession: 3 - Freelance Photographer
Last edited July 5, 2020 6:11 pm
Jul 5, 2020 6:41 pm
I'm always up for a Supers styled game. I applied to the game.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.