IC: Earthdawn

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 31, 2020 12:20 pm
Hello everyone,
Is there any interest in exploring the world of Earthdawn? It's a high fantasy world, but a bit different than some of the other settings most of us are familiar with. The traditional system created by FASA is a tad crunchy, mostly by using a Step-system that takes a deviation away from the d20 popularity. However, it isn't unplayable by any means.

The lore of the world is very rich and there is a ton to pull from as a GM given that the game is most recently in its 4th edition.

Also - there are variations to the game that include a Savage Worlds interpretation of the game and one using PbtA called Fourth World. However, I would say that the original system from FASA grasps the feel of the setting the best.

Basically, the premise is that long ago a great cataclysmic event happened when these Horrors (think cosmic or planar Cthuhlu like beings) broke through the veil so to speak, and ran everyone into hiding in these underground kaers (safe havens). Eventually, communities start to emerge again, but they don't have a way to communicate with each other. So, although some have emerged, others have not, and so on.

Well, that's a basic...VERY basic overview of the set-up. I apologize for any real Earthdawn gurus out there. It is quite an epic setting. But, I'd be interested in playing with anyone - - ESPECIALLY if you're NOT familiar with the game and would like to explore it with me from the ground up.

I'll supply everything you need.

Let me know.
Aug 31, 2020 12:45 pm
Sure, I'll toss my hat in.
Aug 31, 2020 1:09 pm
I'd be interested. Someone wanted to start an ED4 game a while back, and I prepared a human elementalist, but the game never took off, and my character is still in my library...
Aug 31, 2020 1:15 pm
Nice! Thanks for the interest so far you two. Just be especially gentle with me if you're super familiar with ED! haha. It's a lot of lore to take in and I'll try to stay true to at least the big picture. :)
Aug 31, 2020 6:08 pm
I wouldn't mind giving it a try.
Aug 31, 2020 6:13 pm
Sure thing! That's three. I'm cool with running 3 to 4 players if you all are. Give me a few days to get the forum set up and I'll send some invites.
Aug 31, 2020 6:49 pm
Totally down for Earthdawn. Used to play first edition in high school. I also briefly tried the Savage Worlds version.
Aug 31, 2020 7:01 pm
I've heard of Earthdawn but have never played it. I can easily imagine the richness of the environment. I can see it played two different ways or both together. It could start out as a full on roll play to develop our characters and discover our world before battle encounters take place and switch back and forth between that and monster killing. If you're up for five, I'll be create something. Just need the details.
Aug 31, 2020 8:40 pm
I'm a huge Earthdawn fan, I started playing it 23 years ago and have played through several long campaigns. Mostly 1st and Redbrick edition. I would love to join a game, and can definitely help out with the rules, setting and whatnot. Earthdawn has always been my favorite RPG. It's the one I was first introduced to and it stuck with me ever since. I love the whole post-apocalyptic fantasy world theme with all these lovely elements from popular fiction at the time. The step system is clunky, but once you played it for 22 years you know it by heart. ^^

I own all the editions, and in fact most of the post-1st edition books (of which I have quite a few too, including all the awful novels!)

Edit: and currently, my RL group is playing 1879 at the moment. The Victorian London Earthdawn. :D
Last edited August 31, 2020 8:53 pm
Aug 31, 2020 8:58 pm
Oh wow. Just caught this. Yes. Sure. I'd love to have anyone that would like to join up give it a go. And to Aldrusian's point, I would certainly like to take it slow, for both myself and anyone new to the game.

I'm familiar with 1879! Such a cool setting by FASA. I purchased the .pdf when it was released, but I have yet to play any of it. That would also be a very fun game here.
Aug 31, 2020 9:00 pm
I was more or less just seeing if there was any interest in the game and that is encouraging that there is! Hopefully, I can get something together soon. I'm only running one other rules-light game here and playing in one, so I didn't want to get spread too thin. But, I should be able to manage. :)
Aug 31, 2020 9:24 pm
Which edition were you thinking of using?
Aug 31, 2020 9:41 pm
4th Edition Rules.
Aug 31, 2020 11:06 pm
So I created the game. I will work on setting things up over the next few days.
Sep 1, 2020 2:47 am
I'll also send out invites soon to everyone that is interested. Thanks again!
Sep 1, 2020 11:15 am
I am interested as well.
Sep 1, 2020 12:14 pm
Thanks. I'm still working on setting things up. I'll update everyone asap.
Sep 1, 2020 10:46 pm
UPDATE - I'm having to move to Pensacola, FL. Unexpectedly I might add... Change in jobs. I'm postponing this project for now. Best wishes to all of you!
Sep 1, 2020 10:50 pm
D'awww.. Well, best of luck with the move!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.